Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

Deirdre5 wrote: »
    thanks, any idea what that VAT might cost?

I just have a speaker ordered to my home address its only 20 quid but estimated delivery is next month... wondering should I cancel and order it to my addresspal which estimated delivery is Monday

you'll end up paying a load of extra fees and it'll just get stuck in an posts queue instead

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

thanks, any idea what that VAT might cost?

I just have a speaker ordered to my home address its only 20 quid but estimated delivery is next month... wondering should I cancel and order it to my addresspal which estimated delivery is Monday
    I'd leave it and let it arrive to your home address, it's the only way to ensure you don't have to pay an extra 21% on top of the Amazon listed price.

Amazons supply chain has been disrupted by a combination of Brexit and COVID and all things considered they are doing OK.
    Amazon can not accurately predict delivery dates right now so they give a worse case scenario estimate.

I just had one of my orders delivered today, 5 day delivery time despite the estimated 16 I saw when ordering. But I know order orders I have placed may take longer, there's no way to know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

Hi guys I have amazon prime for years but obviously now I've no quick delivery. I've ordered a few things since 1st January but they're taking really long time in comparison to before. Is it worth my while delivering everything to my AddressPal instead? i know it's like 6 euro extra but just wondering is anyone else doing this?

I did this for first time recently having used Parcel motel for years. Took about a week once AMZ delivered for addresspal to then get item to me. Given it was Xmas week that wasn’t too bad.

Having since ordered another item that delivered to addresspal on Thursday and not even a update from addresspal to say they have received it so unfortunately the service right now seems to not much better or faster than getting AMZ to ship directly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

on the bright side ordered from amazon germany took 6 days total to arrive no fuss no vat, no handling- given est delivery times its bonkers with uk now, compared that it takes less than a week to get stuff from mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Did my 1st order with Amazon UK since Jan 1st.
    Have Prime. Item was £17.99. Lists "Import Fees Deposit". What is this ? Is it VAT ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭corkie

corkie wrote: »

READ SUMMARY IN POST 977 or this thread

And About Import Fees Deposit
    SusanC10 wrote: »
    Did my 1st order with Amazon UK since Jan 1st.
    Have Prime. Item was £17.99. Lists "Import Fees Deposit". What is this ? Is it VAT ?

^^^ Read links above?

Have you a link, that price item should be VAT free if you have prime? Probably a third party seller?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Here's a fun head scratcher, relating to delivery location:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FZNYBTY/

T-shirt sold by Amazon, £21.99. Just a standard shirt.
    If I enter an *Irish* address, removes the VAT but states cannot be delivered here :(
    If I enter a *French* address, removes the VAT but it *can* be delivered. Go figure.

Same story on the delivery location for this item on Amazon.de, bizarrely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Looking at an item that is £500. Price at checkout includes the import fees deposit...would there be any more charges when the items arrives in Ireland or is that the max you pay?!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

nephster wrote: »
    Here's a fun head scratcher, relating to delivery location:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FZNYBTY/

T-shirt sold by Amazon, £21.99. Just a standard shirt.
    If I enter an *Irish* address, removes the VAT but states cannot be delivered here :(
    If I enter a *French* address, removes the VAT but it *can* be delivered. Go figure.

Same story on the delivery location for this item on Amazon.de, bizarrely.

its probably cos ripple junction is an american brand so country of origin is outside uk and then that adds extra complications for amazon uk to calculatie duty etc when selling from uk to eu....the fact it will ship from eu amazons means it's already entered the eu via their trade agreements with the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was onto Amazon there about the Import fee deposit, said if it is eligible for refund it'd be up to 60 days.

Value is weird they seem to just be using the VAT rate again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Anybody buy from a company(not amazon) and the value >€25 and pay customs or not?
    Ive order something from a uk site. For 44 pounds on the 28th December.
    Have people been charged customs

Imo I bought this under eu law and they should pay irish vat.
    Any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

So 5 packages are meant to arrive tomorrow (SUNDAY?) and tracking still say they're in the UK. No idea wtf is going on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Amazon packages with specific carriers can be delivered on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why would people continue to order from Amazon UK? Surely it's time to pivot to the German website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Why would people continue to order from Amazon UK? Surely it's time to pivot to the German website?

Completed three orders so far this month on .co.uk... worked out slightly cheaper on two of them (compared to pre jan1st) always keep orders to around £20 mark, means I avail of the auto free shipping without prime and no vat! The first order wasn’t far off what I would have paid pre Brexit, slightly higher.
    Depends what your buying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Any item with a plug on it...

Why use the site that does not offer prime shipping to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Most of the orders I place with Amazon are for books - UK site is obviously much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Because they have the books I want. Because they are cheaper and postage costs me less. Even where Irish VAT is applied it's only an extra percent.

Not paying VAT on orders under €22 for the next few months is a nice bonus of the UK site too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Anyone know if Boohoo are registered for Irish Vat or will you be hit for charges ?

Anyone know if Boohoo are registered for Irish Vat or will you be hit for charges ?

https://ie.boohoo.com/customer-service#folder-cs-folder-brexit

Have a read on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

That's great thanks. I googled boohoo brexit and tried to see if they are registered for Irish Vat but could find much. Should of starting in the most obvious place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Well nothing arrived to day as I guessed, still saying delivered today but tracking is in UK customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭jos22

is brexit the reason why amazon has blocked preorders of items to non UK address.
    I see all Pre order items are listed as Temporarily out of stock.
    We are working hard to be back in stock as soon as possible. but logged out with vpn enabled
    New from: £41.99 (Save 14%)
    Available for pre-order, FREE shipping to the UK

strange why that would effect it tho, as you can pre order items from amazon.com to ship to Ireland

jos22 wrote: »
    is brexit the reason why amazon has blocked preorders of items to non UK address.
    I see all Pre order items are listed as Temporarily out of stock.
    We are working hard to be back in stock as soon as possible. but logged out with vpn enabled
    New from: £41.99 (Save 14%)
    Available for pre-order, FREE shipping to the UK

strange why that would effect it tho, as you can pre order items from amazon.com to ship to Ireland

That's showing on many items , not just pre-order. It seems to be sub sellers not ready for the VAT issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Amazon Is kind of pointless at the moment to be honest.

Will be cancelling the prime as well. Ordered a HDMI splitter there on the first on January it says its dispatched as of today but delivery has now been pushed back a few days to the 21st.

I was getting deliveries in a day or two before this so its a shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Just took delivery of 7 Items from Amazon , All less than €22 , Delivery date was estimated for 18th but all arrived separately today the 11th , So knock a week off what Amazon are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

TimHorton wrote: »
    Just took delivery of 7 Items from Amazon , All less than €22 , Delivery date was estimated for 18th but all arrived separately today the 11th , So knock a week off what Amazon are saying.

My item was due today & now today it is showing as the 19th. I was ordered a week ago. Shame, hoping this is not the way forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Ordered an item from Amazon Spain on 6 January and it arrived this morning. Interestingly my Echo advised that there was an item out for delivery even though it is set to Amazon UK. The item was the same price (give or take 20c) including the postage from Amazon Spain.

Meanwhile an item ordered on Amazon UK on 4 January has yet to be dispatched...

Advertisement