Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Sweeping statement that and not accurate across the board.

Not in my experience.
    For instance one item I bought last year for £25 (rounded off) is now £32 due to import duty. That's 28%.

See post 1014 for someone else's experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not to confuse things but Sold By Amazon & Fulfilled by Amazon are including it at checkout as you now know. 3rd party sellers on Amazon, Ebay or anywhere else in the UK may not offer this service.

Aware of the above, it was from Amazon.com(US), they since have accepted payment €60.74 overnight, good price for what I ordered, so hopefully don't get cancelled now.
    Lads just had to pay import fees of 8 for an item worth 29....is this the new norm, >? Will i be subject to further charges from anpost ?

READ SUMMARY IN POST 977 or this thread

And About Import Fees Deposit
    long_b wrote: »
    Note to Mods: The "READ SUMMARY IN POST 977" is useless to users on mobile as there is no easy way to do this through the UI.

Maybe they could put a link in the first post and maybe also link about 'Import Fees Deposit' as that is a recurring question as well.
    Not in my experience.
    For instance one item I bought last year for £25 (rounded off) is now £32 due to import duty. That's 28%.

Vat is also charged on Delivery Fees, even if your been discounted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not in my experience.

See post 1014 for someone else's experience of it.

What's the product? I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown on the Checkout page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

What's the product? I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown on the Checkout page.

It’s going to be something that is vatable here but not in Uk

This item. Price gone up s bit since last time
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08BZF7D89/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2UV2SM12EAM5P&psc=1#

Price £27.99
    Import fee 7.14
    Total

I suppose buying it on Amazon.de is probably more(haven't checked,) as postage will be added.
    But still, buying from Amazon.uk Is not as attractive as before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08BZF7D89/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2UV2SM12EAM5P&psc=1#

Price £27.99
    Import fee 7.14
    Total

I suppose buying it on Amazon.de is probably more(haven't checked,) as postage will be added.

That's a Chinese seller fulfilled by Amazon so presumably they are not VAT registered as the UK VAT isn't being deducted at the checkout so you are paying both UK and Irish VAT. Items sold directly by Amazon are the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Is there a list of these items anywhere?

I was planning on buying an artificial plant for £19.99 but getting import duties of £4.20 added on at checkout.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08GCDJLF2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A101BUMJQUKHCQ&psc=1

NATLOR wrote: »
    That's a Chinese seller fulfilled by Amazon so presumably they are not VAT registered as the UK VAT isn't being deducted at the checkout so you are paying both UK and Irish VAT. Items sold directly by Amazon are the way to go

I'd say a lot of items on Amazon are sourced elsewhere. Going to have to be more picky in future.

I'd say a lot of items on Amazon are sourced elsewhere. Going to have to be more picky in future.
    Saying that. I checked some dog food that is made in UK and it was still a substantial import fee charge.

Price £27.99
    Import fee 7.14
    Total

"Order Summary
    Items: GBP 27.99
    Postage & Packing: GBP 6.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 7.14
    Total: GBP 41.13
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 6.00
    Order Total: GBP 35.13 "

Not available on .de but postage is approx min €8

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Is there a list of these items anywhere?

I was planning on buying an artificial plant for £19.99 but getting import duties of £4.20 added on at checkout.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08GCDJLF2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A101BUMJQUKHCQ&psc=1

Vat is charged on Item+Shipping fees (even if discounted).

• Advertisement

Saying that. I checked some dog food that is made in UK and it was still a substantial import fee charge.

The import fee is Irish VAT @ 21% but the UK VAT @20% should be deducted first at the checkout so the final price should only be 1% higher

Price £27.99
    Import fee 7.14
    Total

I'm seeing the Import Fees Deposit as £5.88 on that item, which is 21% of £27.99.

I have Prime, so there's no shipping. If you don't have prime - even if the item is listed as "free shipping", you'll be charged VAT on what the shipping cost would have been (because you're getting a discount equivalent to the shipping cost, not free shipping), which could make it look like you're being charged more VAT on the item.

EDIT: looking at corkie's post for the same item, I can see they have shipping listed. So that's why the Import Fees Deposit is £7.14 for you - it includes VAT on the shipping amount. You can then see that Amazon have taken off the cost of shipping (but not the VAT on it). This is correct. If you had Prime, there would be no shipping cost at all, and so no VAT on it.

It is however strange that they're not taking UK VAT off the item first. A kitchen tap is vatable in the UK (although you can claim VAT back on it over there under the VAT DIY Scheme. If you put a UK address in, you can see that Amazon estimate the UK VAT at £4.67.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

So some of my less than €22 packages got bundled together, guess we'll see what happens when they arrive.

NATLOR wrote: »

That shouldn't matter if the product is fulfilled by Amazon. If it's sitting in an Amazon warehouse in the UK, no matter where the seller is, it should be set up under the UK's VAT rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    So some of my less than €22 packages got bundled together, guess we'll see what happens when they arrive.

Contacted Amazon and the swore I won't be charged any customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

So is this a brexit issue would you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

listermint wrote: »
    I'd put money on it if all the Irish customers quit prime tomorrow and stopped ordering anything from Amazon UK. They would sort out an Amazon .IE within the year.

The population may be small but there money spent I'm in no doubt is extremely large .

The likes of Tesco don't call it cash cow island for nothing.

We Irish people seem to forget just how small we are as a nation. We are only 4.9m, compared to the UKs 66.6m.
    Now consider how many Irish Amazon Prime customers there are...

That shouldn't matter if the product is fulfilled by Amazon. If it's sitting in an Amazon warehouse in the UK, no matter where the seller is, it should be set up under the UK's VAT rules.

I would have thought that should be the case but its the only reason i can see as to why the UK VAT hasn't been removed unless its VAT exempt in the UK

I am sure it depends where the item was originally sourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Only if what you want is cheaper including the cost of the postage.

The prices on the vast majority of items on Amazon.co.uk are no more expensive now then before 1st of January. In some cases they are actually less expensive than before 1st January. The talk of a duty deposit has confused a lot of people. They remove the UK vat at checkout and add the Irish VAT (duty deposit)

Amazon UK will still be my first port of call

I just tried this and they did not deduct the UK Vat, just added Irish Vat...

538250.png

• Advertisement

youtube! wrote: »
    So is this a brexit issue would you think ?

Someone else (on this thread or another) had a similar issue, and it turned out that their package had been "damaged" in transit, and was sent back to Amazon. So it's hard to say what the issue is in your specific case. Amazon CS may be able to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Yawn10

There is an import fee deposit being added to books which carry a 0% Vat rate. What fees are these?

corkie wrote: »

READ SUMMARY IN POST 977 or this thread

And About Import Fees Deposit

Vat is also charged on Delivery Fees, even if your been discounted them.
    Yawn10 wrote: »
    There is an import fee deposit being added to books which carry a 0% Vat rate. What fees are these?

Know bug in amazon process where they are charging VAT in error on books.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

schmoo2k wrote: »

Yes, that seems incorrect. Contact them. Seller is in the US...maybe that's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yawn10 wrote: »

Contact them and advise the error. I did last night and they acknowledged it seemed to be an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭djan

Looking to get a projector that seems good value even with the import fees. I assumed that UK VAT would be taken off and IE rate applied within the import fees. However this is not the case as the base price is the same if address changed to mainland UK.

Could someone please advise on the above and also if I need to make a return, will I be reimbursed the import fees by amazon? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

corkie wrote: »
    Vat is charged on Item+Shipping fees (even if discounted).

Its free shipping on prime though, which I have.

Items:£19.99
    Postage & Packing:£0.00
    Import Fees Deposit:£4.20
    Order Total:£24.19

Is it because its only fulfilled by Amazon maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭jos22

schmoo2k wrote: »

538250.png

I had order that was fulfilled by amazon UK, when it arrived I was told that import vat was due, when I checked it up, turned out the seller wasnt UK based and had charged no vat on the item. to avoid returns the seller refunded the import vat. so it possible that order you are looking at never had vat included to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

Edit: Never mind, it's because it's a Chinese seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭jos22

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Its free shipping on prime though, which I have.

Items:£19.99
    Postage & Packing:£0.00
    Import Fees Deposit:£4.20
    Order Total:£24.19

Is it because its only fulfilled by Amazon maybe?

if you look at that sellers details
    VAT Number:GB324141837
    Business Address:
    Chuangxin Zhongxin Czuo 202shi
    Gaoxinqu Zhujianglu 117hao
    Suzhoushi
    Jiangsu
    CN

they are not EU based items most likely are shipping from china

Advertisement