Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think we are too small a market to have a dedicated Amazon.ie Why go to the expense when the UK one works so well for Ireland

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1219/1102071-amazon-dublin-warehouse-report/

The latest was that they found two warehouses near Dublin Airport. We're not all that small relative to how many warehouses they have in the UK. If the warehouses could serve all of Ireland, that's close to potentially 7 million customers plus it could serve as a distribution center within their network. Their subscriptions are important to them. Currently other than the UK site, there is no option for Prime for Irish customers. Logistically, Amazon already have a large presence here.

I wouldn't be surprised if they switch on .ie this year. They probably held off hoping a trade deal might empower them to keep Irish customers using the UK site. Now that it's looking likely to be a non-runner, time to ramp up.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

Anything fulfilled by third party sellers is subject to extra charges?

It is confusing. So for the vast majority of orders the statement is correct.

The exceptions I have found are where the seller is outside the UK and EU(usually China). Irish VAT will make the checkout price more expensive.

A small number of items in the UK are VAT free but Irish VAT will still be added.
    Example: dog food has no UK VAT so checkout price will be more expensive when Irish VAT is added.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭VG31

I’ve got prime and order a fair bit off Amazon. Am I right in saying anything that is fulfilled by Amazon itself is basically the same as pre-Brexit and will stay that way?

Yes more or less. Here's a list of the main differences (for sold/fulfilled by Amazon):
    • No VAT payable on orders under €22 including shipping.* So these orders will cost 20% to an Irish address.
    • Irish VAT is charged as before but is now stated as an "import fee deposit".
    • Customs duty may be payable on orders over €150. This will be included in the import fee deposit.
    • Longer delivery times, at least for the time being.
    • Reduced selection. Very few food items in particular will ship here now.

Yes, you will be liable for VAT and possibly customs duties on arrival if over the total cost (item(s) + shipping) is over €22.*
    Would it be easier just order of Amazon Germany or France. Do we still get free shipping there? I’m assuming not.

There is no free shipping to Ireland on any Amazon site other than Amazon UK. In most cases it is still easier to order of Amazon UK except for some areas such as food.

*The €22 limit will be abolished on 1 July so VAT will be payable on all items regardless of their value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

I’m really confused by it all tbh. I’ve read the last three four pages and still don’t know where I’m at with Amazon and Brexit.

I’ve got prime and order a fair bit off Amazon. Am I right in saying anything that is fulfilled by Amazon itself is basically the same as pre-Brexit and will stay that way?

Would it be easier just order of Amazon Germany or France. Do we still get free shipping there? I’m assuming not.

Sorry for these questions, I’d imagine this thread is going in roundabouts with people like me.

Essentially if you are buying something Dispatched from and sold by Amazon you won't notice any difference. At the checkout stage you will see "Import Fees Deposit", but that is just the Irish Vat rate being applied. Amazon always did this, but didn't specify, just displayed the total cost. You are paying no more than you would have last week or last year. Amazon are paying the import vat directly to Revenue so An Post won't be looking for anything when it is being delivered.

No free shipping from .fr or .de even if you get prime for one of those sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wompa1 wrote:
    The latest was that they found two warehouses near Dublin Airport. We're not all that small relative to how many warehouses they have in the UK. If the warehouses could serve all of Ireland, that's close to potentially 7 million customers plus it could serve as a distribution center within their network. Their subscriptions are important to them. Currently other than the UK site, there is no option for Prime for Irish customers. Logistically, Amazon already have a large presence here.

Yes Amazon were looking at all possibles in case UK crashed out of the EU. This didn't happen though. The UK got a deal & as a result buying from amazon UK will change very little. The only real difference is that the likes of parcel motel is no longer an option. Apart from that it's business as usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Why is the shipping estimate like 2 weeks even with prime?

ussjtrunks wrote: »

It's an estimation.
    Truth is until shipments start coming in and out of the UK Amazon don't know how much longer it will take than before.
    2 weeks may be accounting for the worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

harmless wrote: »
    It's an estimation.
    Truth is until shipments start coming in and out of the UK Amazon don't know how much longer it will take than before.
    2 weeks may be accounting for the worst case scenario.

They still advertise 2 day shipping to Ireland in the prime info lol, hopefully it’ll get updated after awile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

I ordered a few bits the last few days and it was saying 14 days for delivery but on checkout it changed to Wednesday the 6th .. ordered something yesterday and due delivery on Monday.. delivery by Amazon

ussjtrunks wrote:

Amazon are covering themselves because they don't know how efficient Irish customs will be. You can expect those delivery times to tumble in the next two weeks or so. I'd expect the same or almost the same delivery times that we have bec used to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

touts wrote: »
    Someone asked them and they said they were looking at it.

Which is business PR speak for "Are you nuts? Would you ever feck off you little pixie heads you".

We're too small.

I'd hope they would set up here too but would have similar doubt despite warehouses etc. Sweden with a population of over 10 million just got a dedicated site in October. So unless there is something peculiar that makes us a better business case I'd doubt it. What would make a sizable difference is if they offered free shipping from .de for example. It would shore up their existing shopping customer base also.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Essentially if you are buying something Dispatched from and sold by Amazon you won't notice any difference. At the checkout stage you will see "Import Fees Deposit", but that is just the Irish Vat rate being applied. Amazon always did this, but didn't specify, just displayed the total cost. You are paying no more than you would have last week or last year. Amazon are paying the import vat directly to Revenue so An Post won't be looking for anything when it is being delivered.

No free shipping from .fr or .de even if you get prime for one of those sites.

There could be duty as well as VAT in those "import fees" .
    The Brexit deal does not cover goods sold from the UK that were not produced in the UK . So there could be duty on top on some categories of products. (But only IF the order is more than €150).

Better explained here - https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

Just think of all the small sellers trying to get their head around all this.

I'm sure many won't bother with the Irish market.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

No that is working as intended.
    The item is leaving the UK so no vat payable there.

If the transaction value (cost of item + shipping + insurance) of a package is €22 or less you will not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT when it is imported into the EU. This is ending on the 1st of July this year when all vat will be collected on all goods entering the EU.

Nice, doesn't appear to be across the board.

Bought something that shows as £9.99 for a UK customer, that's what I was charged- prime delivery to Dublin.

Nice, doesn't appear to be across the board.

Bought something that shows as £9.99 for a UK customer, that's what I was charged- prime delivery to Dublin.

Probably a seller who is not registered for vat.
    All items sold by Amazon will be vat free to Ireland if under 22 EUR.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ogham wrote: »
    Probably a seller who is not registered for vat.
    All items sold by Amazon will be vat free to Ireland if under 22 EUR.

Perhaps- was only fulfilled by Amazon.

Perhaps- was only fulfilled by Amazon.

Or it could be an item that is vat free in UK. ? Eg a book .

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

I've posted in the kindle kids thread, but wondering if anyone here might know of any workaround. I bought 5 kids fire tablets on prime day that came with a years subscription to amazon kids. It is absolutely brilliant, along with loads of great apps, educational games, books and magazines it also had movies like the gruffalo and shows like peppa pig and Ryan's world. Then yesterday bang all the shows and movies are geo blocked. I've sideloaded google play store and downloaded my vpn to the adult profile and that hasn't worked. Does anyone anticipate the licensing being sorted out atall or know of any work around? They told me I could send them back and they'll refund me. Uh no I'm not taking 5 Santa gifts back and returning them thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jheaney

i was told theres a 40% tax now added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Whoever told you that is wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,352 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Jheaney wrote: »

If there was tax and customs duty to be paid it would be around 40% (roughly what I pay for imports from the US)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Wompa1 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1219/1102071-amazon-dublin-warehouse-report/

I wouldn't be surprised if they switch on .ie this year. They probably held off hoping a trade deal might empower them to keep Irish customers using the UK site. Now that it's looking likely to be a non-runner, time to ramp up.

That article is over a year old.

They opened their greenogue warehouse in Oct

It is a consolidation and dispatch warehouse.

They are looking for further space for a collation operation - all items ordered will dispatch from various Amazon warehouses and then packed / dispatched from the local warehouse, thus the dispatch will be from Amazon Ireland

They have taken a large amount of capacity on the new Dunkirk to rosslare freight service, so probably many more changes to come

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Jheaney wrote: »

Nope, that's the alcohol volume on the bottle you are drinking :D

snoopy84 wrote:
    I've posted in the kindle kids thread, but wondering if anyone here might know of any workaround. I bought 5 kids fire tablets on prime day that came with a years subscription to amazon kids. It is absolutely brilliant, along with loads of great apps, educational games, books and magazines it also had movies like the gruffalo and shows like peppa pig and Ryan's world. Then yesterday bang all the shows and movies are geo blocked. I've sideloaded google play store and downloaded my vpn to the adult profile and that hasn't worked. Does anyone anticipate the licensing being sorted out atall or know of any work around? They told me I could send them back and they'll refund me. Uh no I'm not taking 5 Santa gifts back and returning them thank you.

snoopy84 wrote:

There is no sorting out the licencing. They are out of the EU so they will no longer be able to give UK digital content to EU countries.

If you used a smart dns on the router in the home then you can get UK content back on any device that uses the WiFi in the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Weird - so is it now cheaper to buy items less than 22 Euro as we're not changed VAT ?

Reason I ask s that I was looking at an XBox One Game (Doom Eternal) and it's currently 16.99 GBP on Amazon: Linky, however, if I add it to my basket it go to checkout it drops to 14.16 GBP:
    Order Summary
    Items: GBP 14.16
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Order Total: GBP 14.16

Amazon Currency Converter
    Disabled - Pay in GBP
    EUR 16.27
    GBP 14.16

Or what's the reason for this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Weird - so is it now cheaper to buy items less than 22 Euro as we're not changed VAT ?

Reason I ask s that I was looking at an XBox One Game (Doom Eternal) and it's currently 16.99 GBP on Amazon: Linky, however, if I add it to my basket it go to checkout it drops to 14.16 GBP:

Enjoy it until the summer

deadl0ck wrote: »

They just haven't got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They just haven't got around to it.

The €22 exemption threshold is an EU rule.

It was supposed to be removed from January 1st 2021, but due to logistic issues caused by the response to Covid 19, it's been postponed until July:

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/modernising-vat-cross-border-ecommerce_en

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ussjtrunks wrote: »

Because everything is in flux right now.
    An post have a backlog and there's delays with ports etc. All beyond amazon's controll.

So amazon are setting correct expectations by allowing for all of the above.

If they gave you a delivery date of the 6th January and missed this you'd be posting here moaning about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭iHungry

Had my first issue since all the changes. 30th Dec I ordered a pair of jeans, sold and despatched by Amazon. Item despatched and tracking number issued with a GA tracking number. All good until I checked status this morning. Item is now showing as undeliverable.....Unfortunately, a problem occurred during shipping and we had to cancel your delivery. The package is being returned, and we will issue a refund within 5 - 7 business days after the return is processed. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience.

:/

Just been onto chat, they say the package was damaged so nowt to do with Brexit. The gave me an extra £5 for the inconvenience :)

Advertisement