Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Calling for earls to play against Italy is laughable

The man should not start for Munster let alone Ireland. Past it and we have better younger players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah this is fantasy stuff.

There will be 3-4 changes max. Have you not watched Italy in the last year?

That backrow is all over the place (we are not going into any game in the 6N without our four best players in the matchday 23 for god's sake)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s also fairly asinine to raise that and simultaneously ignore the fact that they got internationals back that otherwise wouldn’t have been available to them at the same time.

Look at the Munster selection vs Dragons for example. Which of the EI players would have been in that 23 if available? Daly probably. Anyone else?

I mean we can argue that it did have an impact, sure. It obviously did. But did it have a meaningful impact or was it academic? Because there’s a strong, strong case for the latter.

Sure, but then those internationals had to be rested for games later in that period. It wasn't a "freebie".

The internationals were also coming in off a less than complete pre-season which I'm sure would have had an impact.

I think the EI tour is coming out as a net positive (and a large positive for certain players) but I'm still uneasy about it conceptually. Though I acknowledge that its been more beneficial than I originally expected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It’s also fairly asinine to raise that and simultaneously ignore the fact that they got internationals back that otherwise wouldn’t have been available to them at the same time.

They did, (and Podge makes the point about the incomplete pre-season, which is obviously more challenging for a new coachint ticket) but Conway was injured and Earls got injured. Throw in injuries to Haley, Zebo and Liam Coombes and we ended up having 0 senior back-3 players for the Connacht game. The reason you have squad depth is to cover injury situations like that.

Look at the Munster selection vs Dragons for example. Which of the EI players would have been in that 23 if available? Daly probably. Anyone else?

Yep, asbolutely. Frisch is our first choice 13. Salanoa could easily have started. Hodnett probably would have started. Same with Kendellen ahead of O’Sullivan. Wycherly would've been on the bench ahead of O'Connor. Same for Barron. And there's easily a case for guys like Ahern, Nash and Crowley in the 23 too.

I mean we can argue that it did have an impact, sure. It obviously did. But did it have a meaningful impact or was it academic? Because there’s a strong, strong case for the latter.

Is there a case it could've had even 1 bonus point worth of impact? I think there clearly is. And when you look at how close the table was last season, I don't see how that is anything other than 'meaningful'.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Anyone think Italy could shock us in 2 weeks? I think we will need to go near full strength to beat them. They will be dangerous in Rome. I know this sounds weird especially after the first half in Wales and yesterday's game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not really no. We're much, much better than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hoping we see a few changes in the backline. At least 2 of Larmour, JOB and Osbourne to start in the backs, McCarthy, Baird and Coombes in the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

He didn't make huge changes last year at home so can't imagine there'll be many when away from home. You'd imagine Beirne will be out so Hendo to start. Think Conan will start with maybe Baird and Coombes on the bench. Casey, Byrne, Aki and maybe Larmour might start but wouldn't be surprised if the only changes are injury enforced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

Scotland is the danger game imo.

No fear of Italy or England at home (the Aviva should be absolutely rocking with a Slam on the line on Paddys weekend - both of our professional era Slams have been won away on the final day).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We pick our strongest team available against Italy...we're already missing plenty of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I think there will be 3 or 4 changes maximum. Unless injuries force more. If Furlong is fit, I think he starts a Bealham benches just to get some game time in him before the final 2 rounds. Same with Sheehan, if he's fit he's back in. Looks like Bierne will be out so that might open the door for Baird or Coombes to bench.

If Sexton is fit, he starts. Maybe Casey and Murray swap. What's the story with JGP? Maybe Aki starts and Larmour to the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Without doubt we are better team ,but it will ge a tricky game we are missing a lot of pllayers, France cut us open a lot in broken play, Italy are good in that facet of play too. I'm sure coaching team won't have one eye on Scot game but we could get beaten if we don't go as strong as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As it's a two week break, likely to look at Scotland first for a day or two before switching back to Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

A red card against us in one of the games while the game is still in the balance is really the only way I can see us not winning it out from here.

But, if that red card came early on in the Italy game, I think we'd still have enough even then to grind out a win in that game.

A first half red in either of the other two games could be a real issue though.

O'Gara on OTB believes Byrne is locked on backup to Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

7 months from the World Cup I expect the management team now have their decision made.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, no reason to change OH options unless Byrne screws up in the coming games which is unlikely. He looked right at home yesterday. With one eye on the WC though, I wonder who the coaches feel needs to get game time during what's left of the 6N. I'd expect Larmor, JOB and Osborne to bench, maybe Larmor with a start. Henderson likely to start a game too with Coombes and Baird in the 23. Hard to imagine anyone who doesn't feature in this campaign traveling to France, other than the likes of Henshaw or Furlong if they don't make it back. 3 games left and other than 2 or 3 warmup matches that's it before the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

In the Autumn it seemed like rightly or wrongly Carberry was an absolute lock for back up 10. Even up to the squad announcement for the 6N it seemed that way. I don’t think 30 minutes of rugby makes Byrne anything close to a certainty. A lot of rugby between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭ersatz

Carbery could absolutely make his way back in, he's an established international, but it will be hard for him if he doesn't feature in this campaign and RB continues to play well. Yes, there's a lot of rugby to play but there are not many international games and we know that is measure number 1, 2 and 3 for Farrell. Crowley is also in the frame for the third outhalf spot and there are limited options to play him more too.

Crowley isn’t being helped by the fact that he isn’t getting time at 10 for Munster. That needs to change, but Joey is going well so it may not. And ultimately it could cost him a spot on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Bryne showed more control in those 30 mins than Carbery has ever shown in green

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How did Byrne get selected in the first place if international form is all that counts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There is also a possibility that Carberry not Crowley will go to the RWC. It might be viewed as ok to have him as third choice and gaining experience now. They might want 3 experienced 10’s though for the RWC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That's the current situation id say. There is little point in having Carbery in the six nations squad as third choice outhalf, much better to have Crowley there getting the experience.

Bring Sexton, Byrne and Carbery to the WC and if one gets injured you call up Crowley who has built up the experience from time with the squad.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Purely hypothetical question, but IF joey was with the squad, would be the first choice back up 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It's a handy option to have, but I don't know about being 2nd 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,366 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He showed some pretty good control when he helped beat the all blacks in Chicago. He was also one of the better players in last year's 6 nations narrow defeat away to France.

Byrne was good yesterday when he came on, but that was a very tired french team at that stage, he just needed to see out the game. He did what was asked of him but let's not lose the run of ourselves. He's a highly experienced player, not some young upstart finding his feet

Advertisement