Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mairead Philpott freed after serving half her sentence

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I got a genuine knot in my gut when I read this, incredible stuff im honestly lost for words that she was deemed worthy of a release. What a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

the_syco wrote: »
    Why is she getting a new identity?

Reason given will be there will be a real threat to her life.

They did the same to Maxine Carr and also to Thompson and Venebles (a number of new starts) and some others in the recent past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

She very clearly has learning difficulties and most likely comes from a traveller family.

That absolutely doesn't excuse what she did, and I do not think she should be out of prison, but I think it's perfectly valid to say that she herself is a victim too. There are some types of people you look at and think, they never had a chance.
    How do you know she's a Traveller?

sasta le wrote: »
    How do you know she's a Traveller?

The news report posted earlier in the thread said she was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

anewme wrote: »
    Reason given will be there will be a real threat to her life.

They did the same to Maxine Carr and also to Thompson and Venebles (a number of new starts) and some others in the recent past.

Some fair enough I agree with - you do your time, you get out and if you never reoffend then great.

But that little paedophile who killed James Bulger should have been outed after his next conviction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The news report posted earlier in the thread said she was.

I admit it was I who posted that report from the indo earlier, I have to say I've found no evidence elsewhere to back up the claim contained in that article that Mairead Duffy was a member of the travelling community

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭1874

No need, but some men are awful and most murders of children are the result of their pathologic hatred.

I do realise that mothers can kill and all that, but that is usually mental illness related. Whereas men just do it because they want to be in control.

Disgusting

Please go away and stop harassing me. Thank you kindly.
    No need to be like that. At all, we are just discussing the issue.

Ahhha, right. While it might seem a bit unfair to be responding to your posts when you have been told not to post again, I had already started to multiquote before I saw that, so I think it's reasonable for me to respond.
    I've noticed you on boards before, I don't check in on Boards as much as I used to for a few reasons, and there are a few posters that I'd be familiar with where they post in forums and threads I'm more likely to look at. You can nearly tell what kind of reply they might give, one other such poster already replied in this thread. I never really thought of you as being that biased or unreasonable, I don't make a point of blocking people (there's just no point), I'm half curious to see what other nonsense you might spout, I think this is more of an indicator to your mindset than other things I've come across from you, I would consider it unreasonable, disgusting and you weren't willing to back it up, then resorted to making claims of harassment, I'd say astonishing, but it seems to be par for the course for a lot of people.

Ah chill FGS, we are just talking and shooting the breeze.

Do you know what gender I am lol.

I think its an insight into your concerning opinions and now you can just offhand back away from your comments.
    I don't think Gender should come into it, that person participated in what occurred, its possible for reasons I cant calculate that she might be entitled to a lesser sentence than him, but for no reason do I think she deserved to have her sentence cut in half, some people just need to be locked away from society for the protection of society and obviously for their crimes.

nullzero wrote: »
    Indeed, the prisons in America are full to the rafters with these type of inmates and the social problems it leads to are all pervasive. A new method of dealing with that issue is badly needed.

As misguided/ineffective as the war on drugs seems to have been/is, it does need to be tackled, the other solution seems to be fixing all the problems of society, which it seems in particular the US is so far in, they can't fix or it would be so much more difficult and expensive at this stage that it might actually be impossible unless they were to tackle a wide range of problems. So at some point, which has long since passed, it seems necessary to lock up those involved and keep locking them up, thats far better than letting them loose on the streets.

the_syco wrote: »
    Why is she getting a new identity?

No doubt for her protection. It would be my thinking that some people aren't reformable, and no matter the cost, should be kept locked away.
    The thing is, the cost for her change of identity and managing that, staff resources etc, may as well be directed at just paying for her stay in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

She very clearly has learning difficulties and most likely comes from a traveller family.
    ./QUOTE]

There's a sizeable amount of Irish emigrants and their offspring in English cities who aren't Travellers but would have ended up in the Irish underclass as well as those who would have thrived and ended up in the middle class here had they stayed, I used to go to an Irish/Catholic Church social club in London and both types were evident. The Traveller community over there are as separate from Irish emigrants as they are to the English population.

Irish people who've ended up in England either through emigration or birth have always been looked down upon here, they're a bit too close to home, know where the bodies are buried (literally in the sense of people who went through the Industrial schools and Magdalen laundries), look like us, have the same names, but those accents...

Dismissing them as 'Riff Raff' or 'Travellers' and denying their Irishness is a cop out, I think the root reason is embarrassment at the economic basket case Ireland was until recent times, many post Tiger era types like to think of Ireland and the Irish as this super sophisticated Euro-Scandinavian polity that's never been poor or had any connection to the island immediately due East.

dd973 wrote: »
    ./QUOTE]

There's a sizeable amount of Irish emigrants and their offspring in English cities who aren't Travellers but would have ended up in the Irish underclass as well as those who would have thrived and ended up in the middle class here had they stayed, I used to go to an Irish/Catholic Church social club in London and both types were evident. The Traveller community over there are as separate from Irish emigrants as they are to the English population.

Irish people who've ended up in England either through emigration or birth have always been looked down upon here, they're a bit too close to home, know where the bodies are buried (literally in the sense of people who went through the Industrial schools and Magdalen laundries), look like us, have the same names, but those accents...

Not really getting the point about the industrial schools or Magdalen laundries and accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Again, I never said otherwise.

Most people of low intelligence don't kill their children. Most victims of abusive relationships don't kill their children. You point to these things as the explanation, never considering she that she wanted to kill her children or was unconcerned that she had (her actions in the following days support this). In doing so you are absolutely trying to excuse her, why? She has to shoulder the responsibility for her actions, and 8 years for those actions is scandalous. Thankfully, virtually everyone is agreement on that.

I never once excused her. I'm just discussing the case and the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Agenda at play.

Man hating nonsense. Evil exists on both sides of the spectrum.

Agreed

But males murder and intentionally kill at a far higher rate compared to females

It's life...

Why?

Well, there are many reasons that can be given....

But the real obvious natural one is men are more naturally aggressive and powerful and strong...testosterone....

And have far more potential and capability to kill and cause serious harm compared to women...due to their natural physical advantages

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

dd973 wrote: »

Not really getting the point about the industrial schools or Magdalen laundries and accents.

Thousands of Irish people had to literally escape Ireland and head to the country we dare not name due east which provided them with new lives and economic progress that we couldn't provide as an incipient economically inept failed state.

As for the accents, second generation Irish people born in Britain are regularly viewed as descendants of some King Athelstan of Mercia who've no right to call or consider themselves Irish, despite the fact they're geographically and culturally more Irish than someone like Joe Biden. Many play GAA, have Irish citizenship, come back here to live,work, marry etc. I once had to help out an English born cousin who was getting stick from some lamebrain in a pub about his accent just after the Omagh bombing, the bloke looks like a cross between the Tayto crisp packet man and Pat Shortts Father Ted character, how anyone can consider him 'English' or 'a Brit' is beyond me.

Because though, they are evidence of Ireland having a historical and cultural linkage to the UK, they must be ignored, derided and filtered out and lumped in with 'the Travellers'.

I get your point overall, just not in relation to the Launderies or Industrial Schools. It read as if you were saying that had a different accent to other irish people, but now get you are saying, they took the boat due to lack of opportunities.

Most of the people I know in those situations stayed here although some went and now come home to visit the folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I never once excused her. I'm just discussing the case and the facts.

In a thread about a Mairead Philpott being released early from prison, your only contribution has been that her husband (who is still in jail) was worse. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Eight years for killing her six children. 16 months per child. That’s all their lives were worth apparently.

In a thread about a Mairead Philpott being released early from prison, your only contribution has been that her husband (who is still in jail) was worse. Well done.

That's why he's still in jail. You worked it out! Well done!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm afraid I don't know what that bolded part means means, nor your concerns. However, it seems we're in agreement along with everyone including the prosecutors, the jury and the judge that Mick Philpott was the instigator and master mind of the murder of the children and that his wife was a foul, moronic & manipulated idiot that went along with the manipulators plan that had the tragic outcome that was the death of children. I don't defend her or condone her, but the majority of blame lies with him. You know it, I know it and everyone with good cop on and a good moral compass knows it.

None of the three planned a murder.

What they planned was a very stupid plot to set a house fire.The plan was that a) Mick would rescue all the sleeping children and become a national hero, which he craved, b) frame his ex mistress for the fire because she had the temerity to leave him resulting in c) the children she left with being returned to his care so he could continue to collect the child benefit for them all and d) the council would be forced to house him in a larger house as his own had just burned down. He didn't want to kill the kids. They were his cash cow and his income source.

The lot of them are utterly morally bankrupt. Not a single adult stopped to consider the terror and lifelong trauma the children would have faced had they survived the fire. Even in the immediate aftermath when one of her sons briefly survived, she chose to have a food fight while he was he was in ICU. A food fight when five of her children perished and one was barely briefly clinging onto life. They both turned up at their local a few days after the fire and joined in Karaoke. Mick tried to convert some of the funds raised for the children's funeral costs by the community into Argos vouchers. They both faked tears at the press conference. He was making sexual comments to the mortuary staff and joking over the bodies of his children. She's continued to write to the third man, the one who set the fire and considers herself to be in a relationship with him. He's due for release around now as well and she's still young enough to have a few more kids...

Neyite wrote: »
    None of the three planned a murder.

I should rephrase that as the master mind of the plan that ended up with the death of the children.

Advertisement