Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mairead Philpott freed after serving half her sentence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Well she has work to do, time to breed some more

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Terrible case.
    There must be an Irish connection.
    One of the poor little kids is wearing a Dublin shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Terrible case.

Could also be hand me down or charity clothes. The kids were known for sleeping in their school uniforms.

8 years for killing 6 kids and a fresh new identity, housing, counselling and yoga lessons all paid for by the tax payer. The system is a joke she should never see daylight again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Duvetdays wrote: »
    Could also be hand me down or charity clothes. The kids were known for sleeping in their school uniforms.

8 years for killing 6 kids and a fresh new identity, housing, counselling and yoga lessons all paid for by the tax payer. The system is a joke she should never see daylight again.

He’s still in like - equality my arse.

She should be locked up till her miserable life is over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

She's a psychopath for sure. She'll kill again.
    It's too dangerous to ever release her.

modsnip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

should have been sterilised too, so that she can never, ever have any children again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Call me a nazi, but stories like that make me sadly think that forced sterilisation for the welfare classes is the morally right thing to do.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Terrible case.

Sadly seems so by both first name of Mairead and maiden name of Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why is the justice system so reluctant to actually make women pay for their crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Terrible case.

Her father is Irish I believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Why is the justice system so reluctant to actually make women pay for their crimes

The father got life. The wife and friend got 17 years for assisting and were both up for parole after serving half their sentence. He will more than likely get paroled too. So I doubt her being a woman has much to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

That's a case I'll never forget. If anything I got the impression that she was a bit simple and easily controlled. I would hope himself never steps foot outside again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

From the Indo

Subscribe
    Irish News

Mairead’s Irish family tried to convince her to leave Philpott
    Bernadette Duffy, the sister of Mairead Philpott, with their father Jimmy outside Nottingham Crown Court
    Bernadette Duffy, the sister of Mairead Philpott, with their father Jimmy outside Nottingham Crown Court
    April 05 2013 10:07 AM
    The Irish family of Mairead Philpott have spoken of how they tried to convince her to leave Mick Philpott prior to the fire which claimed six children’s lives.

Jennifer Lobban and Bernadette Duffy has revealed how they spent years trying to convince her to leave her husband and take her children to safety.

Mairead who was born in Ireland to a traveller family has been painted as a tragic figure during the course of the eight week manslaughter case which resulted in her being jailed for 17 years.

In an interview with BBC’s Panorama, the sisters told how Mairead was so desperately unhappy with her marriage to Philpott that she attempted suicide.

Jennifer Lobban told Panorama: 'We would try and get round there when he was doing the school run because we knew that he wouldn’t be in the house.

'We told her that we could go to the school, we could go now; go take the kids from school. We would get her out, but she just wouldn’t leave.'

Mick Philpott once allowed the eldest child, Duwayne, 13, to have a sleepover at Bernadette’s house.

Bernadette was shocked at the state the youngster was in.

She said: 'Mick said he hadn’t eaten for a week and I took him and my little boy out for a pizza.

'I had never seen a child eat so fast in my life.’

Mairead's father Jimmy Duffy told Panorama he still can’t comprehend that his daughter was responsible for six children’s deaths.

He said: 'It’s wrecking me inside, wrecking me... I bottle a lot up away from my kids... Some nights I sit for hours in the dark.'

The family have also dismissed Mairead’s claims in court that her father abused her as a child.

Police have confirmed the allegations were investigated at the time and found no evidence of any crime by Jimmy Duffy. They also said there are no plans to follow up Mairead’s courtroom claim.

Bernadette and Jennifer say it is not the first time their sister has made a false sex allegation. In court, Mairead told the jury she'd been raped on holiday as a teenager.

Her sister Jennifer says she was with her at the time of the alleged incident: 'I think it’s just one of the many lies she tells. She got caught sleeping with a married man for money and she said she was raped. Not only has she played a part in her children’s deaths. It just seems that she will do anything to get out of it.'

Despite the fact that they believe she is a victim of Mick Philpott, the sisters also can’t forgive her for not putting her children first.

“She is a victim of Mick. But at the end of the day, when it comes to your kids, she should have put them first. She should have put the kids first,” Jennifer said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I think the sister sums it up well. She had a responsibility to protect her kids, she not only didn't intervene, she colluded. It doesn't seem right that she's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

From the Indo

Subscribe
    Irish News

Mairead’s Irish family tried to convince her to leave Philpott
    April 05 2013 10:07 AM
    The Irish family of Mairead Philpott have spoken of how they tried to convince her to leave Mick Philpott prior to the fire which claimed six children’s lives.

Jennifer Lobban and Bernadette Duffy has revealed how they spent years trying to convince her to leave her husband and take her children to safety.

Mairead who was born in Ireland to a traveller family has been painted as a tragic figure during the course of the eight week manslaughter case which resulted in her being jailed for 17 years.

In an interview with BBC’s Panorama, the sisters told how Mairead was so desperately unhappy with her marriage to Philpott that she attempted suicide.

Jennifer Lobban told Panorama: 'We would try and get round there when he was doing the school run because we knew that he wouldn’t be in the house.

'We told her that we could go to the school, we could go now; go take the kids from school. We would get her out, but she just wouldn’t leave.'

Mick Philpott once allowed the eldest child, Duwayne, 13, to have a sleepover at Bernadette’s house.

Bernadette was shocked at the state the youngster was in.

She said: 'Mick said he hadn’t eaten for a week and I took him and my little boy out for a pizza.

'I had never seen a child eat so fast in my life.’

Mairead's father Jimmy Duffy told Panorama he still can’t comprehend that his daughter was responsible for six children’s deaths.

He said: 'It’s wrecking me inside, wrecking me... I bottle a lot up away from my kids... Some nights I sit for hours in the dark.'

The family have also dismissed Mairead’s claims in court that her father abused her as a child.

Police have confirmed the allegations were investigated at the time and found no evidence of any crime by Jimmy Duffy. They also said there are no plans to follow up Mairead’s courtroom claim.

Bernadette and Jennifer say it is not the first time their sister has made a false sex allegation. In court, Mairead told the jury she'd been raped on holiday as a teenager.

Her sister Jennifer says she was with her at the time of the alleged incident: 'I think it’s just one of the many lies she tells. She got caught sleeping with a married man for money and she said she was raped. Not only has she played a part in her children’s deaths. It just seems that she will do anything to get out of it.'

Despite the fact that they believe she is a victim of Mick Philpott, the sisters also can’t forgive her for not putting her children first.

“She is a victim of Mick. But at the end of the day, when it comes to your kids, she should have put them first. She should have put the kids first,” Jennifer said.

Jaysus half of it apologism for her evil actions and shifting the blame some of it explains culturally why this may have happened but overall awful story , an awful woman that should never have been released

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She sounds delightful all right, gives the guy who helped them start the fire a bj a few days after the kids died and was writing letters to men from prison.

Doesn't seem like she had any remorse for what she did at all.

Criminal psychopaths don't "pay" for their crimes. They have no fear remorse or guilt. They don't feel sad or joyful or angry or love or any emotion whatsoever.
    They can pretend to and are excellent at fooling people that they are human with superficial charm but they simply seek out new victims to prey upon like parasites.
    Punishing them to make them pay or trying to rehabilitate them is a waste of time.
    Therapy actually enables them to become better at manipulation.
    All you can do is lock them up to protect society from them.
    We know the nature of this woman.
    It's like releasing a wolf among a flock of sheep.

Retarded ****wit of a person that one, no wonder he picked her. There are countless idiots out there who happily bow to the whims of their partners because it’s more convenient than growing a backbone.

“Abuse” my arse

She’ll just end up in the same type of relationship again and pop out a few new kids

Jaysus half of it apologism for her evil actions and shifting the blame some of it explains culturally why this may have happened but overall awful story , an awful woman that should never have been released

In fairness, she’s a victim of her upbringing and culture. She had to do, behave and wear whatever he said. Doesn’t excuse her actions, but I’d imagine that she was so downtrodden that if he told her (and he did) to do anything, she would without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    The father got life. The wife and friend got 17 years for assisting and were both up for parole after serving half their sentence. He will more than likely get paroled too. So I doubt her being a woman has much to do with it.

I don't know if you are familiar with Dawn Butler MP, a front bench Labour politician. Well a few years ago she argued on live TV (bbc politics live, I watched it at the time in disbelief), that some women should not go to prison at all, she said most women are in prison because of crimes they committed in association with men, and secondly that it causes them more problems than men in the case they have children and so on. Those were precisely her arguments noting more noting less.

So I think that pretty much shows that there is a push at least from some quarters to let woman off with lighter sentences and thus one cannot dismiss the suggestion that that attitude is playing some role in the rationale for her release or even the length of her initial sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭political analyst

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't know if you are familiar with Dawn Butler MP, a front bench Labour politician. Well a few years ago she argued on live TV (bbc politics live, I watched it at the time in disbelief), that some women should not go to prison at all, she said most women are in prison because of crimes they committed in association with men, and secondly that it causes them more problems than men in the case they have children and so on. Those were precisely her arguments noting more noting less.

So I think that pretty much shows that there is a push at least from some quarters to let woman off with lighter sentences and thus one cannot dismiss the suggestion that that attitude is playing some role in the rationale for her release or even the length of her initial sentence,

Mick Philpott got the longer sentence because he was the main instigator of the arson plot - it was his idea and his wife chose to be involved.

As for your perception that judges are biased in favour of women, the bereaved mothers in this report disagree with you.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-28/three-times-more-women-killed-by-men-during-covid-lockdown-charity-reveals

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

Call me a nazi, but stories like that make me sadly think that forced sterilisation for the welfare classes is the morally right thing to do.

This is a rotten post - not only are you a Nazi and a snob but you seem to believe you have morals too. Just because you are on welfare doesn't define you as an unfit parent and attacking anyone on welfare based on the actions of Mairead Philpott is vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭rock22

You certainly sound like one

Nickla wrote: »
    This is a rotten post - not only are you a Nazi and a snob but you seem to believe you have morals too. Just because you are on welfare doesn't define you as an unfit parent and attacking anyone on welfare based on the actions of Mairead Philpott is vile.

There is a difference between someone who is on welfare and those who do not aspire to ever live differently.

The latter multiply happily without thinking about consequences because they expect to never leave their welfare paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Mick Philpott got the longer sentence because he was the main instigator of the arson plot - it was his idea and his wife chose to be involved.

As for your perception that judges are biased in favour of women, the bereaved mothers in this report disagree with you.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-28/three-times-more-women-killed-by-men-during-covid-lockdown-charity-reveals

I wonder what would have happened if she didn't go along with it. Would he still have done it.

Anyway I don't think you got my point looking at your latter point and link. If giving women lighter sentences i.e. no prison time at all, is not a form of favouritism I don't know what is.

My point has noting to do with my perception, if lighter prison sentences for women are being openly discussed in the media as I recounted then I think there is good reason to suspect women are getting off more lightly than they might. I didn't say it definitely happened in this case, I just said one can't dismiss the idea since there is clearly some support for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

theteal wrote: »
    That's a case I'll never forget. If anything I got the impression that she was a bit simple and easily controlled. I would hope himself never steps foot outside again.

She very clearly has learning difficulties and most likely comes from a traveller family.

That absolutely doesn't excuse what she did, and I do not think she should be out of prison, but I think it's perfectly valid to say that she herself is a victim too. There are some types of people you look at and think, they never had a chance.

She very clearly has learning difficulties and most likely comes from a traveller family.

That absolutely doesn't excuse what she did, and I do not think she should be out of prison, but I think it's perfectly valid to say that she herself is a victim too. There are some types of people you look at and think, they never had a chance.

Why should she be out of prison and why should she ever be given a chance? She burned six kids to death!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Mick Philpott, there's a blast from the past, pity Jeremy Kyle is off the air, he was on it before, king of the spongers. He would be a good comedy character if he wasn't a murdering scumbag. Mick in the nick. The wife should still be in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Doesn't matter. She should have copped it at some stage that what they were doing was fcuking mental and she should have walked.

Yes, she was gullible and easily led. He was a controller, I know a couple of fellas like him. He used her and manipulated her all he adult life. And the kids weren't supposed to die either, I know that.

But she should have seen the plan for what it was and either stopped him, walked, or got family, friends or police involved.

She should have been given the same sentence as him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

If she was in Ireland she’d probably have got a suspended sentence and an article in the Irish times about how hard done by she was !

Advertisement