Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mairead Philpott freed after serving half her sentence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

She very clearly has learning difficulties and most likely comes from a traveller family.

That absolutely doesn't excuse what she did, and I do not think she should be out of prison, but I think it's perfectly valid to say that she herself is a victim too. There are some types of people you look at and think, they never had a chance.

I watched a few documentaries on this case, im afraid I never got the impression she had learning difficulties, sure you could make the same case for philpott not the brightest by any stretch of the imagination and to be honest I've not heard it mentioned she was a Traveller till I read this indo article I've heard her father interviewed and he definitely didn't have what I would call a Traveller accent, he had a northern accent Tyrone maybe then again I may be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

She very clearly has learning difficulties and most likely comes from a traveller family.

That absolutely doesn't excuse what she did, and I do not think she should be out of prison, but I think it's perfectly valid to say that she herself is a victim too. There are some types of people you look at and think, they never had a chance.

But they did and took the easy way out. It’s so easy to follow, then claim you didn’t know better/ were mislead. A ten year old knows that setting a fire is dangerous but might still do it, once you’re over a certain age you have no excuse.

This has nothing to do with her background as far as her family’s comments are concerned.

Jequ0n wrote: »
    But they did and took the easy way out. It’s so easy to follow, then claim you didn’t know better/ were mislead. A ten year old knows that setting a fire is dangerous but might still do it, once you’re over a certain age you have no excuse.

This has nothing to do with her background as far as her family’s comments are concerned.

Domestic abuse takes many forms. One of the main ones is making the abused believe that they don’t have a voice. She never had a voice. Or any decision in what happened her or her children. His abuse was vile. Not just of her but his children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Domestic abuse takes many forms. One of the main ones is making the abused believe that they don’t have a voice. She never had a voice. Or any decision in what happened her or her children. His abuse was vile. Not just of her but his children.

My heart bleeds for her.

Oh no wait that’s the dead children she created, carried and then burned alive.

This is not about him because he is still in prison.
    Of course she had a voice. I can’t think of anything more pathetic than eternal “victims” who use any excuse available to maintain their facade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well the lady and kids in LLewellin in Dublin are dead now and the grieving husband is in custody. Happening every day of the week one way or another I'd say. Command and control.

Seems like Ms Philpott was of low IQ and also from a Traveller background, don't have a go at me yet. Just something I read anyhow.

Men like Mick choose their victims carefully, i.e. those who are not able to fight back against the control and abuse.

I'd be happy if Mick never gets out TBH.

Of course she had a voice. I can’t think of anything more pathetic than eternal “victims” who use any excuse available to maintain their facade

Do you know ANYTHING about the way people can be controlled and ordered around, manipulated and even killed?

Do you know ANYTHING about the way people can be controlled and ordered around, manipulated and even killed?

Myra Hindley
    Rose West
    Beverley Allitt
    Aileen Wournos

All manipulated, coerced and ordered to kill ?

Or - like Mrs Philpott - evil, murdering scum that should die burning ?

It’s about the control he had over her. She had no one else. He had total control over her. She was his “bitch” and he referred to his dead children as “little ****s” while flirting with hospital and mortuary female staff. She was as much a victim as her children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

There'll always be an apologist....

Scandalous decision.

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    There'll always be an apologist....

Scandalous decision.

If there were only just the one, she’s practically a fan club on here. Nauseating!

I do, otherwise I wouldn’t comment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It’s about the control he had over her. She had no one else. He had total control over her. She was his “bitch” and he referred to his dead children as “little ****s” while flirting with hospital and mortuary female staff. She was as much a victim as her children.
    Her family repeatedly tried to get her and the kids away from him.Rose West has a low IQ, is she a victim, too? Being controlled and afraid was a defense put forward by Hindley, but there was a recording that captured her part in the torture and sexual assault of a little girl, only for that she might have got out in a few years, too.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Myra Hindley
    Rose West
    Beverley Allitt
    Aileen Wournos

All manipulated, coerced and ordered to kill ?

Or - like Mrs Philpott - evil, murdering scum that should die burning ?

I believe Mairead Philpott was a person of low intellect sadly. And she was controlled and abused by a man who saw her vulnerabilities .He chose her carefully. So six kids died at his hands.

He should never be released.

As I said it’s not about him.
    It’s about her being a weak and self serving bitch.
    Been there, bore the brunt of it, and I will never have an ounce of respect for someone like her.
    Some people are content in their victim role because people have “pity” and rationalise their inefficiencies.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Her family repeatedly tried to get her and the kids away from him.Rose West has a low IQ, is she a victim, too? Being controlled and afraid was a defense put forward by Hindley, but there was a recording that captured her part in the torture and sexual assault of a little girl, only for that she might have got out in a few years, too.

If you read the newspaper reports of the case against Mairead Phillpott, you’d get an insight into the type of abuse she suffered at his hands.
    The difference between her and Myra Hindley and Rose West, is that they committed murder and assaults numerous times.
    This unfortunate individual was totally under the thumb of her husband. Murder wasn’t the intention. The children were supposed to be heroically saved by the men.
    I doubt that she’ll do any good with her life. She’s conditioned to obey her man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Been there, bore the brunt of it, and I will never have an ounce of respect for someone like her.
    Some people are content in their victim role because people have “pity” and rationalise their inefficiencies.

You're making a lot of narrow assumptions seemingly based on your particular experience

Disgusting post.

If you read the newspaper reports of the case against Mairead Phillpott, you’d get an insight into the type of abuse she suffered at his hands.
    The difference between her and Myra Hindley and Rose West, is that they committed murder and assaults numerous times.
    This unfortunate individual was totally under the thumb of her husband. Murder wasn’t the intention. The children were supposed to be heroically saved by the men.
    I doubt that she’ll do any good with her life. She’s conditioned to obey her man.

But, she continued the cover up after they died.

Rose West endured a childhood of sexual abuse at te hands of her father. She was conditioned to see herself as the sexual object of her man and daughters as the sexual objects of their fathers. Should we not take into account those mitigating factors?

Because he told her to. You’ve got no idea of the coercive control he exercised over her.

• Advertisement

Because he told her to. You’ve got no idea of the coercive control he exercised over her.

And you do? Thank god someone knows the details

And nor do you.

Hindley killed kids cos Brady told her to. West raped women because she thought that was normal behaviour. Some evil people require a more evil person to latch onto. It's what does it for them. They get off on it.

I would get banned if I posted my feelings on this post, I will simply go with - naïveté at its most ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Go away with that sh**e. She'll never be as much a victim as her children unless someone burns her to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Doesn't exactly read like she has been full of remorse since.

Disgusting post.

Will try to respect your feelings next time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That was a horrific crime, from what I remember they were trying to frame one of Philpotts exes and the kids ended up dying of smoke inhalation by accident or not, we'll never know. Throughout the aftermath it seemed Philpott was enjoying the media attention and suspicions were aroused. The rest is history.

Poor little kids hadn't a chance with that egotistical "father" pulling the strings. It was reported at the time he was laughing, flirting, making and extremely inappropriate sexual comments to the funeral staff as he identified the dead bodies of the kids and suddenly feigned sadness when the cameras arrived.

I think we can all agree that Mairead Philpott has very low intelligence and Philpott was a violent and cowardly manipulator with a long list of serious crimes. Still no excuse for Mariead ignoring her instincts and put her kids in danger. I don't know how a parent could live normally after the death of five of her kids, but maybe her bovine like stupidity shields her from retrospective thinking that a normal person would endure after such loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Rose West endured a childhood of sexual abuse at te hands of her father. She was conditioned to see herself as the sexual object of her man and daughters as the sexual objects of their fathers. Should we not take into account those mitigating factors?

Lots of women have been the victims of such abuse and haven't murdered children. Plenty of experts have agreed that Rose West was and remains every bit as evil as Fred.

While we're at it let's defend Fred West, he supposedly sustained a head injury as a young man in a motorcycle accident, had a reasonably crap upbringing in his own right, surely what he did wasn't his fault.

People who are party to the killing of others, particularly children are not worthy of having the freedom to live within society, letting this woman back into society at any point is a mistake and any attempt to defend somebody in that situation is likely to be met with disdain, I think the arguments being put forward about her level of intelligence perhaps cuts both ways, I doubt she has the capacity to reform in any meaningful way.

*Post edited.

Glazers Out!

Will try to respect your feelings next time

No need, but some men are awful and most murders of children are the result of their pathologic hatred.

I do realise that mothers can kill and all that, but that is usually mental illness related. Whereas men just do it because they want to be in control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,164 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nickla wrote: »
    This is a rotten post - not only are you a Nazi and a snob but you seem to believe you have morals too. Just because you are on welfare doesn't define you as an unfit parent and attacking anyone on welfare based on the actions of Mairead Philpott is vile.

I don’t think the person meant ALL people on welfare!!

Advertisement