Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good calving cameras / security cameras

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

I can see now why most people get an installer to do this. :D
    I was planning on running the cabling out of the house via a duct across yard into the shed - which would have been very handy. However, just realised that I can't do this as the ducting already contains the power for the shed - armoured cabling.

For anyone wondering why - there are two main risks with running data cabling and power cabling alongside with insufficient separation - induced voltages and data corruption. Data corruption is minor - lost packets of data requiring re-transmission. Induced voltages is the one I'd be worried about as it can fry the end device.
    I was hoping to using some shielded network cabling but I've not got any confirmation - plus as its against code...

So, looks like I'll be installing a wireless bridge. To save me having to research up on them, what ones are folk here using and I'll get one of them. I'd presume it would be a Ubiquiti item?

https://www.novatel.ie/long-range-wifi
    I have used these

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Finally got our calving camera setup. Wasn't high up my list of priorities as due to covid someone was always about the place.
    Wired the cable back into the house and use a powerline adapter from attic down to the router. 15Mb/s connection at the endpoint in the shed - so more than sufficient for current needs.
    Added a microphone as well as well to get the sound. Bit of a little faffy thing, but it was advertised as a professional grade external mic, so I went for it. Seems to be a forward of something Chinese judging by the documentation, but sound quality is fine so far.
    All cabling put into conduit which was more hassle, but should keep the furry livestock away from the cables. Left good sized tails on the cabling incase we want to extend the number of cameras and can then switch to a network switch implementation.

Took a while to get mobile setup working - had to update the firmware and then it worked fine. Lots of online help, which was lacking from Hikvision themselves. I just need to setup an automatic scan of the shed now and it should be job done.
    Next job is the outfarm. Hopefully I'll get it done more quickly, but I doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭emaherx

Finally got our calving camera setup. Wasn't high up my list of priorities as due to covid someone was always about the place.
    Wired the cable back into the house and use a powerline adapter from attic down to the router. 15Mb/s connection at the endpoint in the shed - so more than sufficient for current needs.
    Added a microphone as well as well to get the sound. Bit of a little faffy thing, but it was advertised as a professional grade external mic, so I went for it. Seems to be a forward of something Chinese judging by the documentation, but sound quality is fine so far.
    All cabling put into conduit which was more hassle, but should keep the furry livestock away from the cables. Left good sized tails on the cabling incase we want to extend the number of cameras and can then switch to a network switch implementation.

Took a while to get mobile setup working - had to update the firmware and then it worked fine. Lots of online help, which was lacking from Hikvision themselves. I just need to setup an automatic scan of the shed now and it should be job done.
    Next job is the outfarm. Hopefully I'll get it done more quickly, but I doubt it!

The conduit is a great job as long as all ends are capped off. I just spent the day rewiring a milking parlor where rodents made themselves at home inside the cable trunking, they had striped insulation off so much of the cabling that I can't understand how it didn't give issue weeks or even months ago. All because 60mm square trunking was used with no end caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Well lads, just joining this thread late.

Relative of mine has this set up installed. Camera in shed - wireless bridge on shed point to house (looks like one anyways) - wireless bridge on house pointing to shed.

So I think I'm right in saying that there's a cable going from the bridge on the house back to the wifi router.

My question is, does the camera auto connect to the bridge on the shed? Or would it be hardwired back to a switch? i.e Switch has power, camera plugs into switch and bridge on the shed plugs into switch also.

emaherx wrote: »
    The conduit is a great job as long as all ends are capped off. I just spent the day rewiring a milking parlor where rodents made themselves at home inside the cable trunking, they had striped insulation off so much of the cabling that I can't understand how it didn't give issue weeks or even months ago. All because 60mm square trunking was used with no end caps.

Everytime I do something in the shed I put it in conduit, back when it was first put up they didn't think of using it and now with UV degradation and our furry friends, its not a good job. For all the price of conduit, its a no-brainer to me.

Anyhow, do people have issues with the Hikvision PTZ feature on their mobiles? Mine currently seems to be slow to start moving and then when you release the 'joystick' it carries on moving before stopping.
    Not sure how to resolve it and would like to get it fixed as it is a bit of a balls.

• Advertisement

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Well lads, just joining this thread late.

Relative of mine has this set up installed. Camera in shed - wireless bridge on shed point to house (looks like one anyways) - wireless bridge on house pointing to shed.

So I think I'm right in saying that there's a cable going from the bridge on the house back to the wifi router.

My question is, does the camera auto connect to the bridge on the shed? Or would it be hardwired back to a switch? i.e Switch has power, camera plugs into switch and bridge on the shed plugs into switch also.

Do you mean by WiFi?
    There will be no auto connecting to WiFi, you need SSID and password configured if your camera can connect by WiFi at all.

Most wireless bridges are 5GHz and most WiFi cameras are 2.4GHz so that could be an issue also. But a few cameras and bridges do support the other bands so not impossible either.

In most IP camera setups, the cameras will be hardwired to a switch or if WiFi setup will use a 2.4Ghz access point along with the 5Ghz bridge. If only one or 2 cameras it may be possible to hardwire directly to the bridge depending how many ports it has available.

Everytime I do something in the shed I put it in conduit, back when it was first put up they didn't think of using it and now with UV degradation and our furry friends, its not a good job. For all the price of conduit, its a no-brainer to me.

It's much neater too, just make sure to close off any open ends or it actually can make the situation worse. I doubt you have the issue, but you'd be surprised how many are left with a bit open somewhere.

emaherx wrote: »
    It's much neater too, just make sure to close off any open ends or it actually can make the situation worse. I doubt you have the issue, but you'd be surprised how many are left with a bit open somewhere.

No open ends - to the point I went and bought one of these to ensure wiring was fully enclosed. Shame that they put a 3/4 thread on the coupler - had to get a special coupler specifically to mate into the 20mm conduit.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSauDpmA8cqxAMOstFRNlR9tiXwO-MZ3sOxtcKr0F2fAavH2TMJQP8_QWM40EXQfNWbFhw&usqp=CAU

Here's a pic. You can see the mic just below the junction box. The conduit going behind the mount is separate wiring for lights.
    Mic is not difficult to setup. Junction box shows 12vdc in bottom left. Network cable in top right. Mic and power into camera bottom right.

I rolled up some cable in case I need to change to a different system at a later date.

Also - looks like ifarm wefarm will have a video up on calving cameras and security camera within the next couple of weeks, so take a look there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Looking some assistance/advice

We’ve 2 reolink cameras in the shed, which are powered by POE, the WiFi is supplied by TP link, sadly you can only view while on wifi network

Everything worked perfectly last winter, but now we cannot access cameras while in the house (using wifi), but no issue when in the shed

Wifi test is giving good results, I’ve repaired the (2) receivers (1in house) with the transmitter

• Advertisement

How do you get the Hikvision PTZ online? It has been working fine, but today it has gone offline and I was wondering if there was a way to turn it online again via the Hikconnect app.

Anyone know how to do this - should be simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Can you access the Home network from the shed. ie can you connect to the internet from the wifi in the shed? as it sounds like the tp-link is not connected to your house network

Yes wifi works in the shed, had issues with 2nd TP router in house today & had to reset the system, hopefully all should work now

Has anyone using wifi adapters noticed any changes since a smart meter was installed?

No and my router is on the opposite side of the wall from the meter. Really shouldn't have any more effect than a mobile as the smart meter just has a built in 3G modem. My house / yard has a few wireless networks some in the same 2.4Ghz band as WiFi without issues.

But if you feel something is interfering you can change the WiFi band by a few Hz from your router and/ or access points.

Have 2 receivers (1 for office 1 for shed), both will work in the house but neither are working in the shed (20 yards), all on same circuit

Everything working well previously

Sorry I misunderstood your comment, it's the power line/WiFi adapters you are using. To be honest they are a black art at the best of times. 20 yards to an outside shed is well beyond their intended use. Any change in your wiring could effect them alright, not necessarily the smart meter, a new appliance with a motor could be the culprit either, either way your reception was on a cliff edge to start with so it wouldn't take much to push It off. A wireless bridge would be a far better option or even better is to run a cable.

Deteriorating components in the WiFi plugs such as capacitors could also be the culprit and only effect it's longest range while still working over shorter distances.

Worked brilliant last winter and was hoping same this one too, putting in ducts in the spring and will run cable then

Sods law

I got 2 sets of these (4 in total) to connect different buildings to the house:

They work as a pair out of the box, but be warned every one of them is pre set with the same password, so worth logging into them and changing.

Can confirm Reolink Go PT alarm will scare what's left of the piss out of a cat marking hay bales - yeah I know re pregnant ewes (they won't be getting this hay), no feckin door on shed!

• Advertisement

I had to send the camera back to supplier due to the cooling fan continuously running. Seems to be a known problem with the Hikvision cameras. Was an annoying and distracting noise from it. Also, at times it tended to freeze and then sweep to a backwards position.

Seller thought second issue might be a programmed scan kicking in. How I'm not sure though. PTZ repairs go back to Hikvision themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Upgrading two fixed cameras in shed to 1 fixed and 1 PTZ.

I've settled on this camera for the PTZ: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VB3JLMJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3U9Q5O0WCDPGX&psc=1

Any issues before i order?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kachukas

Hello

Some help please.

I have been using a Reolink Go 4g camera offsite in stables which were a couple of kms away for when mares are foaling and found it great.

This year however we are renting a stable which is much closer to the house (about 250m) I had planned on using the same Reolink camera but when I set it up today to test it the 4g coverage is very poor and I was unable to connect the camera at all. I tried positioning the camera around each wall but it was the same. My mobile phone signal is brutal here too barely getting a couple of bars.

What are my options?

Thanks

Post edited by Kachukas on

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kachukas

Here's what I've been thinking about getting

My house has Fibre to the Home (FTTH) with speeds of over 150mbs download.

The stables where I want to errect the camera is approx 250m (at the very most) away. There is a direct line of sight to the stables with no interference.

I was thinking of getting these:

KuWFi 2-Pack 300Mbps Wireless outdoor CPE Kit,Indoor&Outdoor Point-to-Point Supports 1KM transmission distance solution for PTP, PTMP application

from Amazon for €64

My plan is to fix one on the roof of my house and the other on the roof of the stable.

I was then going to use one of these

REOLINK 5MP(2560x1920@30FPS) PoE Camera Outdoor/Indoor IP Security Video Surveillance, IP66 Waterproof, IR Night Vision, Motion Detection, Work with Smart Home, Up to 128GB Micro SD Card, RLC-410-5MP

again from amazon for €38

Do I just connect a long ethernet cable from my Eir modem to the first bridge on my house roof and then another ethernet cable from the 2nd bridge (stable) to the camera??

Will this work or do I need anything else?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I had trouble getting reception with my reolink as well. Think the corrugated sheets were affecting the signal. Try putting the camera in the stable where you want, then go home or to a place where you phone has better reception to try it then. I had poor connection in the shed but when I came away home with my phone it works great.

Doubt it's the corrugated sheets as my camera and aerial are inside under sheeting, but I bought the Bingfu aerial so maybe that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭893bet

I have found the reception on my phone to be crucial. Need phone to have good 4g to connect.

That should work fine. I have some of those KU-WiFi bridges, 4 of them linked.

They come as a preconfigured pair, but you should log onto them and change the passwords at a minimum as they all have Default Password: 66666666 which isn't great to broadcast your home network over 1KM in every direction with a known password.

if this is the camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Surveillance-Waterproof-Detection-RLC-410-5MP/dp/B07C75C47B?th=1 it looks like there is no PSU with it. You either need a 12V PSU or a POE injector or POE Switch to power it. If going with POE options they must conform to (IEEE 802.3af).

The bridges KU-WiFi Bridges are also POE but are passive 24V that conforms to no official POE standard, so only use the supplied POE injector PSU with them.

• Advertisement

that looks similar to my Hikvision. Seems ok, the 100m infra red is good. Better than lights on.

Depending on layout, I'd prefer few fixed to a ptz, can be fiddley to move, my one need to use on screen arrows to move or presets, cant move by swiping across screen

Do you want sound? dont see mic

Do you want record? dont see sd card slot

Neither of which my expensive Hikvision have..

Got external mic for €60

Advertisement