Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good calving cameras / security cameras

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Hi folks. Was installing a ptz 4g GSM system for a neighbour yesterday. Had an issue with setting up the router. It refused to accept the password that was on the back of the router. Its using a Vodafone SIM but we have a suspicion that the router is for the 3 network. Are routers tied to a specific network? The box had THREE written on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭emaherx

They can be but not always, plus it's possible to get them unlocked. If the router says Three and the Sim Vodafone it should be unlocked assuming it worked previously. (Or maybe that's what you are trying to sort now for the first time?)

The password being different is nothing to do with a network lock, simply someone has changed it. A factory reset will set password back to default, bit if router is setup for wrong network you may need to enter the Vodafone APN settings. (Don't know what router you have, but press and hold reset for 20+ seconds usually does it. Reset may need to be pushed with a pin or pen tip)

The whole system is brand new out of the box. Router cams SIM card only purchased in past week. Will try the reset button. When router powers up all lights come on but after a while the MODE light changes from flashing yellow to solid red. Instruction sheet says it should be green.

Something suspicious of the brand new router if it's Three branded and no Three sim with it. The router should only be tied to to the Three network if it is sold as part of a Three package. But regardless the password details on the label should let you log in to it. Solid red may mean the APN settings are not in the router or possibly the SIM is pin protected. (You can check sim for a pin and remove if needed by putting it in a phone that's not locked to another network.)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I have a Huawei three sim router. It came locked to the three network. As emharx says it needs to be set up. The red light means no internet connection to your Internet service provider.

You need to access the routers homepage from a computer connected to the router. You can connect to the router via an Ethernet cable or by wifi.

The home page is usually at 192.168.0.1 for the three routers. The default passwords after reset is whatever is written down like admin and 12345678

username: admin

password: admin

Once on the homepage you need to setup the sim by locking it to the APN

• Advertisement

Had to change the router. Vodafone router up and running and cams functioning now. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

Can anyone recommend a 4g router and weatherproof box theyve had success with, to pair with 2-3 reolink cameras? Some of the 'outdoor' routers seem to either be incredibly expensive or incredibly dodgy ...

Thinking of setting up with a 48.ie sim which seems to have good reception in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone know much about our have installed a trip line?

@onrail - check out that security company I posted above. They have examples of the work they do. They seem to use tplink routers.

I'd say get your components first and then gauge what size of box you need. Base size on what you are putting in it rather than buying all at once.

Do you really need an outdoor router? There's look to be standard router - in guessing they have waterproof grommets where the antennas stick out.

If in shed an "ip67 waterproof enclosure" is what you are probably looking for. Maybe opt for a hinged one - might be a bit more expensive, but maybe worth it in long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

What would be the price difference between a professional installer and fully DIY work assuming same quality components?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Looking for a suggestion for a basic camera system for lambing a small number of ewes. As i have only small numbers i don't want to spend big money but obviously i know you get what you pay for and would not mind spending between 200 and 300 euro. Shed is about half mile from the house, has power and light but no wifi. Have a dongle here and a 3 sim i used to use for wifi in the house before we got fibre, so could possibly use that if i got a camera with a sim. Am a small bit tech savvy so possibly if i bought something online i might be able set up myself...if i had to get one installed i'm sure would be beyond my budget. As i said a basic system would do, as i would be housing the ewes late at night (be outside during the day weather permitting) and i just want 1 camera to be able have a look during the night as the OH works nights and want to try avoid leaving small kids on their own during the night if i have to go check on the ewes.

Have read the various threads here and some great info. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have them in the plan, currently use line crossing in the video feeds but that is often triggered by heavy rain, some proper triplines would obviously be more reliable. There was someone that posted in the tinkering thread a simple triplines using cheap smart PIR's with a bit of white wavin pipe to narrow their field of vision.

Great. You can test it all out for me! I'm still not up and running yet at our outfarm.

With Hikvision you can draw a line and choose the direction of objects crossing it to trigger and it has far less false alarms, but still prone to some in really bad weather.

Those Beam breaks are the business, only issue is both sides need power, I'd be looking at setting up something wireless, (could possibly get away with a pair that are only powered on one side with reflector on the other).

@funkey_monkey found the post using the modified PIR's https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118323479/#Comment_118323479

I honestly don't know the answer. But I'd image what you are getting will have a baring, it probably costs the same in labor to get one PTZ or one static camera installed but the PTZ will be much more expensive, and multiple static cameras installed would cost more than one PTZ but the cameras will be much cheaper. The amount of cabling to be run the heights and network connections will all effect the price.

As others always tell me on boards, how do you value your own time, probably take you considerably longer to install a system for your first time compared to a lad at it every day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

at a rough guess €4-600?

Most installers use Hikvision, most places only sell those cameras to trade.

I got kit here, they give phone tech support, worked out well as I didn't know about IP cameras at the time

https://cctv-direct.ie/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAlKmeBhCkARIsAHy7WVuD8rb41UmphsqcZogC95wiMGXY2XMCOsKtOuhWG0VV9ommXKMV6qsaAhaSEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

Ok that sounds good. Better than Reolink.

Some beams are rated 100m so surely reflector work well at much shorter distance.

yea, I'd say reflector type would work for the distances I'd need, the beam breaks themselves are probably the simple part, time and motivation are probably the biggest factor. As well as beams I need a way to integrate with existing equipment, but I've loads of options there too LoRa/WiFi/Nrf24/Hardwired can all be achieved DIY Or with Off the shelf products.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

After getting loads of good advice here i got a YI 1080 p camera for handy money from amazon. Set it up at home on the house broadband and it worked perfect. Now my plan is as the shed is away from the house with no wifi, i have an old wifi dongle i use to use before with a 3 sim in it, i am going to try and use that in the shed. My question is when i do that is it easy to connect to this. I presume when i turn on the camera in the shed and it is out of coverage for the home broadband, and will start searching for any available network and hopefully pair with the dongle. When i set it up at home it was very simple, once it paired i had to scan a QR code to the camera, but it was mentioning about 2.4 and not 5 (sorry not very techy).

Any advice appreciated am hoppy as the camera is not a dud this might work for me.

• Advertisement

I've been trying to figure out a way to view my camera directly on the TV. If you cast your mobile phone to the screen and hold it in landscape orientation you can view it - assuming you have a smart TV.

Only drawback is that you need to control camera and all other interactions from your phone. Not ideal, but sufficient for me and saves having to get a chromecast or something else.

Did that work? If not, you might need to get a wifi bridge - if you have line of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I see on TAMS you can apply for livestock cameras. Anyone ever do this?

Livestock monitoring camera. These are costed per camera installed. Enter the number of Livestock monitoring cameras installed into the investment tab on the on-line system

Livestock monitoring camera per camera €432.00

I have 2 very cheap Aliexpress PTZ cameras for last few years but starting to struggle now. I get 60% grant so they would make the top brands cheaper now.

What's the limit? That seems like a nice wedge off them.

Digging up this thread....

Is 48.com still the best value of the Three linked networks?

I would like to explore setting up Wifi in an area that has no power, so I can use Wifi cameras instead of 4g. Where do I start 😳 I am presuming 12v power from a battery topped up by solar panel... Then it's all Chinese to me

Probably, it's unlimited data now too not just 100GB

100GB plan still available if you are an old customer 10.99

Unlimited is 12.99

Yeah, I have two of the 10.99 ones already, guess I'll have to be a big spender and get a 12.99!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭dmakc

We're looking to upgrade from our ancient fixed cameras, maybe include a PTZ one. My worry is currently it works well in that all of us on the farm can log into app and watch cameras simultaneously on our phones, given the manual aspect of PTZ cameras, is it still possible for multiple users to view at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Yes, I would have myself and my father setup on the app for the cameras. Plan to have herself setup too from a safety point too at calving.

On the PTZ camera, I've changed this year to Reolink PTZs (from cheap Ali-express ones) and i would highly recommend them. I had the same concern as my father isn't too technology smart (struggles to understand how I can view the camera when I'm travelling with work) but you can set positions with the app for the camera to go which is handy for my father as he just taps a button and it will move to say the calving pins, tap again for slats. Game change for me as father struggles with figuring out how to move the cameras.

Advertisement