Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good calving cameras / security cameras

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭dmakc

Hi emaherx. I've fallen into this trap just got 3 x 2.4ghz PTZ cameras today, and have the KuWFi bridge (5ghz) coming tomorrow, are you saying there's no way these cameras will work for me in the shed due to this

I had hoped for simplicity, plug the cameras in and let them work off the bridge's wifi, so I can view them in the phone app. Novice at all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭emaherx

What cameras did you get? Do they have a wired Ethernet option?

The simplest and best option if available is to wire cameras via a small network switch.

Alternatively you need to connect a 2.4ghz access point, these are cheap, possibly even free as many old ISP routers can be reconfigured for this task.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭dmakc

Got EZVIZ, nothing too technical was going for simplicity like I say;

The cameras have ethernet cable slots, assuming the purpose of the switch would be to collect the three camera ethernet cables at one end, and the other end to the bridge?

On the 2.4ghz access point, is that an alternative to the bridge (like a WiFi sim deal) or complimentary to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

I am looking at the same scenario - have eufy cameras in shed, they connect with the homebase that is 2.4GHz - Homebase has ethernet cable slot, are you saying that I cannot plug that into the 5GHz bridge? What do I need to link the two? I was hoping to go with the wifi option originally but obvs that is not going to work!! Thankyou

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭emaherx

Yes the switch is to connect them together, you can get a 5 port switch for 15 to 20 Euro. You can't splice network cables together as the digital data would all collide and nothing would get through, the switch acts as a sort of traffic management allowing each device to communicate in turn.

The access point option is similar to the switch, connected to the shed bridge device by wire but the cameras wirelessly. Costs from about 30 euro.

By the time you get the switch and cables, wired might be a little more expensive, but much simpler to configure and more reliable with less wireless links especially if you get the cables pre-made with the connectors on them. The wired option will have better performance than wireless when it comes to moving a PTZ camera, the more wireless links in a connection the greater the potential lag.

No, in this setup you only have one wired connection so it can go directly to port on bridge device, you only need the switch to connect more than one wired device. Your "HomeBase" I guess is some kind of DVR that connects wirelessly with the cameras, this would be more like using an access point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

For anyone interested in getting wifi to a shed/barn/outbuilding - I bought this wireless bridge recently on amazon at half price and the 50% off voucher is back. 60e and free delivery with prime. I found them very easy to set up for a non tech savvy, non diy type of gal - All I used was cable ties and couldn't be happier with what I bought.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BGHL5M6G?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Advertisement