Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm day 1 for a Pro. Just unlike previous consoles I can't trade my current one in against it (and get a hefty discount with the level 4 card). Now, I'm gonna have to buy it and trade the OG into CEX afterwards. Currently can get €370 cash for one, will probably drop to ~€300 I'd say when the Pro launches. Guesstimating the Pro will be €600, so half price won't be bad. Still a lot cheaper than the >€1000 pc parts I recently bought, which would be considered low end in gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The PS5 Slim is €550 so I don't think €600 is realistic in 6/9 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As someone who had a PS4 Pro, I probably won't get a PS5 Pro. Sitting the correct distance from a 75" QLED I can't really see a difference between 2k upscaled PS4 Pro games and native 4k. The big change with PS5 is shadows/lighting/ray tracing and they look good enough to me currently.

Unless a lot of games have a significant improvement like Alan Wake 2 on PC which looks a fair bit better than consoles due to path tracing I won't be remotely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,503 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will wait for reviews on noise level. I mostly regretted my ps4 pro because it was like a jet engine in the corner of the room. There were some nights where i was missing what was being said in the game as i couldn't hear it over the console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I sold my ps5 as it had annoying coil whine and fan noise. I think the series X had me spoilt, and I really didn't need both. Hoping the next iteration of PS5 is less of a lottery noise wise. I was hoping the slim model would fix this issue, but it seems to be much the same as the fat model and without a stand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I remember walking into my Gamestop on a Monday with a PS4 Slim and walking out with a PS4 Pro.

As for the PS5 Pro, if there is a GTA VI bundle (console and game) I will probably get one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭jj880

Its an odd one. I can hear coil whine with certain games. Son cant hear it at all. With our LG TV can hear it after a long viewing session when TV is in standby. Again son cant hear it. Will definitely be leaving next PS console for a few months after launch to see if its an issue again.

Oh coil whine was just bad on mine. Switching form Spiderman Remastered main game to map screen and it would kick off. My brain was going ... surely the map screen should be easy to render Vs the main game (example). Not so much of an issue on PS4 games.

I still want to switch from Xbox as PS has the better set of games (exclusives and cross platform). And I find the XBox controller uncomfortable. Hopefully we get news about the pro soon. Also I hear the original model is quieter than the slim models and there are quieter fans available you can easily swap in of necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

You'd think that with the map. Destiny 2 has the same problem, it's due to the maps and menus having an uncapped frame rate pushing the hardware as hard as it can go.

• Advertisement

Oh, ok, so it's looping like crazy displaying a map. 😁 Funny. Wasn't just the map, but that's a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Hopefully some good stuff at this State of Play if it's over 40 minutes, especially with that recent Xbox Developer Direct starting things off well.

I want to see new stuff, I'm getting tired of constantly seeing some sort of Final Fantasy and those Yakuza games are getting annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭MikeRyan87

I think this will be one of the best SoPs ever. Alot of it has leaked.

Will look something like this id say.

FF7 Rebirth

Pacific Drive

Stellar Blade

Death Stranding 2 On The Beach

Rise of the Ronin

Metro Awakening

Wanderer

Judas

Until Dawn Remaster

Silent Hill 2

Sonic The Hedgehog

Concord

Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree

Maybe stuff like Lost Souls Aside/Little Devil Inside

With the chances of another one before the end of Feb to coincide with the year release of VR2, I'm hoping some VR2 content will be announced, specifically something Astro related.

Beyonce Butt Waifu Stellar Blade could be good, gameplay looks interesting at least. Looks pretty too. It's definitely Asian...

Dave the Diver confirmed for April (with PC footage shown...)

A free to play Silent Hill? Along with SH2.

Judas, new game from the Bioshock peeps looks suitable Bioshock and suitably crazy!

Metro VR game, and Legendary Tales which looks like fun Skyrim VR!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It’s been fairly crap so far imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Rise of the Ronin has potential although it has a whiff of Assassins Creed about it. March 22 so not long to see what it reviews like.

• Advertisement

No mention of a date, just 2024.

Rise of the Ronin looks like a less realistic Ghost of Tsushima.

Death Stranding 2 looking suitably crazy, and a little dig at God of War!

DS2 looks great.

Hideo announcing a new espionage action game which will be kinda like a movie too... Due out in 2 years for his 40th anniversary of being a game designer. Hmmm.

New State of Play on Feb 6th for FFVIIRebirth extended look.

Not a bad SoP. New stuff, more details on upcoming stuff, some new announcements and Hideo confirming his next MGS game after DS2. Not bad overall imo, but nothing ground breaking either. And no Astro... boo!

That was pretty underwhelming. How do they seriously not have a release date for Silent Hill 2? They also showed a lot of janky gun play for a game that isn't focused on guns. Graphics look PS4 era too. I'm not very enthusiastic about it.

Seriously Until Dawn remake has a release window but nothing for SH2 lol.

At least they kept Final Fantasy out of it and gave it it's own State of Play next week.

Microsoft had a pretty solid albeit short Developer Direct and we get more Foam Stars, another Sonic Generations and an Until Dawn remake...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It seems more akin to another Nioh like. Team Ninja basically just using that formula now in different settings, though at least this one seems to have some novel navigation and movement gimmicks.

When I saw a load of icons across that top navigation bar I thought Ubisoft. Hopefully I’m wrong. The grapple hook was lifted straight from Sekiro, which is fine long as it makes traversing fun. I do like the setting though so fingers crossed it turns out well.

Least I have plenty of time to go back and finish Death Stranding. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't think he said it would be out in 2 years, considering they won't start full production until after Death Stranding releases next year. He was just saying he celebrates that anniversary and this would be the culmination of all his work.

Haven't played Until Dawn yet, but did they have to change the character models for the remake? Looked less realistic.

Biggest surprise of the State of Play was I think every game shown had a lot of gameplay, except maybe one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hell divers fans were worried there'd be no vehicles, nothing in previous trailers and dev not saying anything when asked.

It's not at launch and hopefully won't be limited to just mech varient but still better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,503 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New PS Stars Campaign for points. One has you buying a certain game from a list, the other is playing a certain game from ps plus extra, easy points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone know of a decent repair service for a PS5, if one even exists? My nephew's hit the floor after the dog dragged some cables down. It powers on (blue lights come on, then white light after about 10 seconds, think that's normal), but won't connect to the tv. I took a look, but can't see any physical damage on the board, so not sure what else i can do.

Advertisement