Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll be there on the day to get it. Have been looking forward to this, and I was expecting 500-600, so not shocked at that. Good to hear some games will be giving free upgrades, Pistol Whip for example. I wonder if Beat Saber will follow suit. Base game should be free at this stage anyway.

Plus, I fully expect a last minute Alyx launch announcement. That'll definitely push people to get it if they're not PCVR. Hopefully Horizon is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Probably a stupid question but can the Psvr be used with any other hardware apart from a PlayStation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

No

Seems its possible to do it on PC. No idea if it'd straight forward though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/psvrhack/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Before I got the Quest 2, I tried a few times to set it up. Very little success. And from what I see it can be very limited in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What are people's thoughts on the Pulse headset? It seems pricey at €80 for a Bluetooth headset, but the 3D sound thing seems pretty cool

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's grand and nothing more. The earcups are a bit small and there's no swivel on the earcups which isn't ideal.

3D sound is done by the console not the headset so don't let that fool you.

If I was buying again I'd up my budget a bit more and get the Steel Series Arctis 7 as they're a far better headset and have been on sale quite a bit for around £100 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

All headsets can do the 3D sound and as a headset the Pulse is poor. The headband is atrocious and will break.

Been using my solidly and they're grand. Not exactly build quality of a sennheiser HD25 but they made alien isolation into the game its meant to be

• Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Good to know about the 3D sound not being specific to the pulse headset, I'll widen my search then

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I really like it. Good price and does the job. Integrates well with the system.

Definitely. Sound wise there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, it's the poor build quality. If you want both I would recommend the Arctis Steelseries 7x+. It works on Xbox One/Series/ PC/ Switch/ PS4/5 too.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I use the Steel Series Arctis 7P+ and it is excellent.

I can't find fault with the Pulse. Use them nearly nightly, get upwards of 12 hours out of them. They're light, so maybe some people think they're flimsy, but like anything, you look after them and they'll last. For E80 if you're on a budget, I don't think you'll get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

As with everything else on the Console it's a gimmick.

A set of steel series for around 20 quid more will give you same results earphone wise but also work on other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭jj880

Looking for a headset myself. Are there at least some pulse only features? Since it is the Sony product

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can adjust the chat and game volume independently. Pretty crap of Sony to lock that behind their own hardware, still not something that can't be changed in the console settings anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yep and you can adjust the sound more towards game volume or chat volume.

As I said, I really recommend them. They're a nice piece of kit and I bought them after good reviews from techradar and whathifi and a year on, Im happy with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I had the Steelseries 7 that worked on both Xbox and playstation. That broke fairly soon after buying it and eventually I managed to get it replaced (lookup steelseries trust pilot score, it is not good) but had to go for the 7x which does not work with the playstation. I bought the pulse headset soon after.

The steelseries headset is way better, far more comfortable and from what I've seen on Amazon recently isn't actually much more expensive than the pulse these days. That said steelseries were an appalling company to deal with and I'm at the mercy of this thing breaking again.

Also I'm not that enamoured with "3d" audio on either console. I have a proper 5.1 setup in the living room and it's no match for that.

• Advertisement

I've never had an issue with my Arctis 7 headset, been using it since 2019.

As for the 7x not working on Playstation, they do. The usb-c dongle that comes with it has a toggle switch that swaps it between PC/Switch/PS/Android and Xbox modes. All of Steelseries wireless Xbox headsets, excluding the Arctis 9x, work on all consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I guess it's the 9x I have now so. Wasn't my choice, just had to take whatever they had in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I have the original Arctis 7's for a good few years now, saw me through a ton of college during covid and a ton of gaming over the years.

Still feel great and no real sign of wear. Used them on PS4/PS5 and PC.

Only thing there missing is Bluetooth but I think the later models fixed that iirc.

Got at a great price during black friday too. Had a pair of Siberias before that as well, they were also great but wired, so a bit annoying having the cable hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭brady12

does anyone know if can go in store to likes of gamestop on 15th and pre order psvr2 headset or what's story

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Headphones are pretty disposable with me, I tend to wreck them before too long but love my razer kraken tournament edition I've had them for a good few years now and they were relatively cheap. They're a few years old but I still see a lot of streamers using them as they're pretty indestructible even after years of use.

Fully metal headband, Full metal hinges, outer metal ring around earcups as part of the headband. Other headsets might have a metal band or a partially metal hinger but if it's not fully metal or they've not affixed it over a larger area all you're doing is concentrating the stress on the weakest point.

Literally the only and singular issue I've read is one guy was that he managed to snap the 3.5mm jack in half.

They've changed the kraken now but with the exception of the V3 X which they sell as their lightest headset the rest seem to be mostly metal.

I'll let you know tomorrow after I pick up Ragnarök. I intend on asking that exact question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finally get my hands on a PS5 in the morning. How long to get it all set-up with transferring etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I'm curious about this too, I want to use a one 4 all voucher on it.

• Advertisement

An hour into Ragnarok and its everything that was promised. However one flaw I found is that it's reverting to stereo output despite my PS5 set to 5.1 output into my surround amp

Advertisement