Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Next Chapter - Being Better Than Most People At Most Things

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Wottle wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I've used Stronglifts 5x5 last year doing 3 sessions a week. I enjoy the simplicity of it, got me strong without getting big, which I like. As you progress though, it just takes a lot more time.
    Will probably start with SL again but twice a week and when it starts going over the 30/40 mins, I'll look for sth else, might be back to you :-)

Stronglifts is ok but has some serious drawbacks. The main one being that you probably spend 50+% of the training cycle at relative percentages and volumes that don't do much for adaptation, and the remainder at intensities that are a bit too high long term :D

11.06km @ 6m 11s
    1hr 08min
    76% MHR / 69% HRR

Ended up getting a COVID test for the little guy Saturday which wrote off Sunday as we awaited results (negative). Then no creche Monday either as a result and me catching his cold left that as a write off training wise too. Spend all day painting in work on Tuesday as we get ready to reopen...

...and FINALLY got out to do something today.

It was a nice run. Totally uneventful. Just some miles in the legs. Great weather for it.

Will probably end up fairly balls deep in painting the rest of the week too, so likely to only get 2 more runs and zero lifting in this week.

C'est la vie. 3 reasonably long runs is still a pretty good training week when your yard stick isn't "did I train every day".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Glad to hear the test came back negative, there is definitely a dose going around in the creches & schools!

Life happens so getting out for a run can be tough but the main thing is not to be too hard on yourself when you don't.

Wild oul week so bumper update...

FRIDAY

Lifted things. Nothing to report. Played around with some programming changes

SATURDAY
    14.38km @ 6m 12s
    1hr 29min
    76% MHR / 69% HRR

First run with someone in a while. Was really really nice. Was uphill pretty much half way. GAP was 6m 05s ish. Which was quite good for that HR.

MONDAY

Warm Up Run:
    3.05km @ 6m 12s
    18m 58s
    71% MHR / 63% HRR

Lifting Session:

A) Bench Press - EMOM15
    70kg 15x10

B) Chest Supported Row - EMOM15
    50kg 15x10

C1) Incline Bench:
    60kg 5x10

C2) KB Row:
    24kg 5x10 - rest 2 minutes

D) Dips:
    BW 5x10 - rest 60-120s

Putting the head down under the bar and on the road for the next few weeks. Can definitely budget for 3 lifting sessions and 3 runs. And will add a couple of easy 3-4km warm up runs to the lifting sessions to keep total volume high.

Only really have 1-2 run workouts per week on the FRR 5km plan, so will do those on the pure run days.

Total volume will probably be below what the program calls for and no doubt results will suffer somewhat as a result, but at least I'll finish it this way.

Lifted on Tuesday. Built things Wednesday. Nice long run today (next post).

A) HB Squat:
    105kg 4x5

B) Deadlift:
    140kg 4x3

C) Military Press - EMOM15:
    30kg 15x10

D1) Front Plate Raise - EMOM10:
    20kg 5x10

D2) 90deg Lateral Raise - EMOM10:
    5kg 5x10

E1) Barbell Curls - EMOM20:
    20kg 10x10

E2) Superman Extensions - EMOM20:
    #10 10x10

That was a frickin' lovely session.

• Advertisement

14.2km @ 6m 11s
    1hr 28min
    76% MHR / 69% HRR

Have pretty much given up on the 5km plan at this stage.

I think it's too much for me to commit to with the world upside down.

Haven't managed to keep a good rhythm the last few weeks at all so going forward the loose plan is to just run long-ish 2x per week, another around 6-10km and then 2 sessions of 3-4km as a warm up before lifting.

Should average out between 30 and 40km a week doing that. I don't think I've ever done 4x 40km weeks in a row so if I can string that together the base should keep building. I feel good about myself. And I won't be too stressed by committing to too much training.

Seems like everyone's slacking on logs these days... catching up too with;

FRIDAY

2km warm up run @ a very easy pace

A) Bench - EMOM15:
    72.5kg 15x10

B) Chest Supported Row - EMOM15:
    52.5kg 15x10

C1) Incline Bench:
    62.5kg 5x10

C2) KB Row:
    24kg 5x10 - resting about 60s

D) Dips:
    bodyweight 5x10 - resting 60-75s

Really really good session. Felt very fresh and performed well.

TODAY

12.02km @ 5m 58s
    1hr 12min
    76% MHR / 69% HRR

Lovely little run there. Don't think I've done a long-ish run at conversation pace that came in under a 6 minute average before.

A) HB Squat:
    105kg 4x6

B) Deadlift:
    140kg 4x4

C) Military Press - EMOM15:
    32.5kg 15x10

D1) Front Plate Raise - EMOM10:
    20kg 5x10

D2) 90deg Lateral Raise - EMOM10:
    5kg 5x10

E1) Barbell Curls - EMOM20:
    22.5kg 10x10

E2) Superman Extensions - EMOM20:
    #10 10x10

Small jumps on the last workout.

Chopped down some trees and went for a walk afterwards so basically did cardio too.

Good start to the week.

Gonna push tomorrow's warm up run out to about 3.5/4k before a nice long one on wednesday.

TUESDAY

A) Bench - EMOM15:
    75kg 15x10

55kg 15x10

C1) Incline Bench:
    65kg 5x10

C2) Cable Row:
    30kg 3x10 - resting about 60s

D) Dips:
    bodyweight 5x10 - resting < 60s

TODAY

18.09km @ 6m 08s
    1hr 51min
    79% MHR / 71% HRR

Couple of good days there.

The lifting is progressing nicely. Nothing really to report on it other than "tipping along". Was supposed to run long but ended up with an unavoidable medical thing to take care of so time was compressed.

Today's run was nice. There's some really nasty drags that even run slowly had me up over 90% (Killiney Dart station towards Coliemore Road). Think it's probably my second longest run ever. Last time out over that distance was around 6m 24s /km @ a similar HR effort back in late December. Nice little bit of progress there anyway.

Running 3x and lifting 3x is really suiting me at the mo.

FRIDAY

A) Military Press - EMOM15:
    35kg 15x10

B1) Front Plate Raise - EMOM10:
    20kg 5x10

B2) 90deg Lateral Raise - EMOM10:
    5kg 5x10

C1) Barbell Curls - EMOM20:
    25kg 10x10

C2) Superman Extensions - EMOM20:
    #10 + 5kg plate 10x10

TODAY

14.04km @ 6m 05s
    1hr 25min
    77% MHR / 70% HRR

Couple of nice back to back sessions there.

The lifting was great. Nice little increase. No extra effort. Zero DOMS now. Reps drop a bit next time.

Today's run was mega. Great conversation pace all the way around until about 4km from home. That's when the cramps started.

The last 5km went; 6:13 - 6:04 - 5:48 - 5:44 - 5:40.

I've never experienced my insides doing to me what they did today. And I've had food poisoning in Thailand.

(I made it home, in case anyone was wondering - but I think the first bit of poop hit the water before my arse hit the seat)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Lol I've been caught out so many times. That stopped when I stopped snacking late and cut out crap.

I like the EMOM. Long strength session though.

It's coming across lately that running has taken a back seat. What's happened the drive?

Bumper update incoming...

TUESDAY
    A) Bench - EMOM15:
    77.5kg 15x9

60kg 15x9

C1) Incline Bench:
    67.5kg 5x10

C2) Cable Row:
    35kg 3x10 - resting about 60s

- skipped dips - time

THURSDAY
    7.58km @ 5m 59s
    45m 22s
    76% MHR / 69% HRR

FRIDAY
    A) Squat:
    105kg 4x7

B) Deadlift:
    145kg 4x5

SATURDAY
    14.07km @ 6m 22s
    1hr 29min
    80% MHR (there was a 4km 7% gradient section)

SUNDAY
    8.02km @ 6m 20s
    50min 48sec
    71% MHR / 60% HRR

//

REAL hectic week that had me very short on time, very high on stress and operating mostly on auto pilot WRT training.

Not much lifting done, but the two that did get done were strong.

Still holding my 30km weekly average since the end of feb. Probably the most consistent I've been. Have had higher average weeks across a 4 week period but always with massive drop offs or near missed weeks altogether.

Saturday's run saw us going up the back route to bray head from behind the golf club. It's about 240m up over 3.5km or so - a nice long 7% slog. Was at 80% for a good portion, and over 90% for 11 minutes or so, tapping out at about 96%, despite the km averages being down around 6m 45s!!!!!

That, combined with the lower body sesh the day before had me absolutely F*CKED on Sunday, but with a few km left to keep my average up I went out on a real slow easy recovery run and got it across the line.

Lol I've been caught out so many times. That stopped when I stopped snacking late and cut out crap.

I like the EMOM. Long strength session though.

It's coming across lately that running has taken a back seat. What's happened the drive?

Not sure if back seat would be fair, but definitely not prioritised at the expense of everything else.

The last few weeks in work have been nuts, lots of things to do ahead of reopening so being doing a lot of physical labour and noticing my body just ache in ways it doesn't normally - so trying to get back into hte swing of staying healthy by lifting.

Still keeping a respectable average weekly km up (for me) on runs at about 30km or so. I wanted to be more like 40-45 but it was knocking lumps outta me and killing the rest of my life.

Trying to keep an average of 3-4 runs per week and 3 lifting sessions, I feel that strikes a nice balance for now. Does mean improvements on EVERYTHING is slower since nothing is getting prioritised, but I'm in fitness for the rest of my life so if I just keep chucking away each week and let a week turn into a month, and a month into a year, I hope consistency will win.

One interesting thing I have noticed tho - I'm NO fear of any shin / impact related running problems now after 4-5 weeks of 40+kms during the first stage of the FRR 5km plan. It's like it just bullet proofed me for around that distance. It's a nice feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

..... I'm in fitness for the rest of my life...

This resonates with me. Its actually one of my core values. If I couldn't run, I'd row, or swim, or lift or climb... doesn't matter.

Good luck with the re-opening. No doubt its a stressful time after the months of waiting and I hope it goes well for you and everything remains open.

I was reading your first post. You want to become the best runner you can be, better than most in fact ;) However you are still maintaining a lot of heavy lifting. I get that its nowhere near your competitive volume or intensity but keeping up lifting and running is interesting. If you were doing shorter runs like track or were a crossfitter then it makes sense. However you seemed more focused on 5-10k being a step to longer distances, becoming a runner? Lifting and strength has a place in any sport and runners probably don't do enough of it. But at some point to improve as a runner you need to run more and do less of other things.

I remember back in college trying to play competitive rugby and row competitively. It didn't work. Last year with a foot injury I rowed every day of the summer. Then as I got back running, I rowed less. My rowing fitness has fallen off as my run fitness improved. I still row once a week and maybe twice but to be a better runner I've focused on running and the accessories, S&C etc that comes with that.

At some point the heavy lifting will have to give if you want to improve as a runner. Particularly when you bring interval, tempo stuff in regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+1 on the fitness for life motto

My love for running actually developed from the lifting classes I was doing a few years ago, we'd start the class with warm up jog around the building and it grew from there (although I had been jogging a bit up to that point). I wasn't at your standard but was swinging a 32Kg KB and deadlifting my bodyweight roughly. I wasn't long discovering that I couldn't do both well so lifting went. In hindsight, the wrong choice for me although I wouldn't have met all the amazing people I did if I'd stuck with lifting only!!!

They both have fantastic benefits, I'd stick with both and sacrifice being the best at either for those benefits!

Best of luck with the reopening, there'll be lots of happy clients awaiting the big day :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Running 4 days a week can be plenty. Especially starting out. It's worked for me where I've been averaging just over 4 days per week for the last 2 years.

TUESDAY
    A) Bench - EMOM15:
    80kg 15x9

62.5kg 15x9

C1) Incline Bench:
    70kg 3x10

C2) Cable Row:
    40kg 3x10 - resting about 60s

D) Dips:
    3x10 - resting < 45s per round

WEDNESDAY
    5.03km @ 6m 01s
    30min 18sec
    77% MHR / 70% HRR

THURSDAY
    7.54km @ 5m 29s
    41min 23sec
    82% MHR
    inc. 3.2km @ 4m 32s & 91% MHR

Good few days of training done there.

Was a bit short of time on the lifty stuff so dropped a few of the assistance sets.

Had itchy feet yesterday so did a short run.

Got into today's run feeling a bit groggy thanks to a non sleeping baby, but once I got moving things felt REAL good at the turn around point so I figured I'd put the boot down a little and see how I did.

First 2km were just about net downhill, but averaged 4m 34s ish, so I wanted to see if I could that pace or below on the flat and knocked out a third km @ 4m 31s. Was very happy with that.

My "best" previous run was a 20 minute (4k-ish) tempo run at about a 4m 49s a little over a month ago, so encouraged by today. Also tapped out HR @ 98.5% of max but it still felt ok-ish.

A nice honest effort all around.

This resonates with me. Its actually one of my core values. If I couldn't run, I'd row, or swim, or lift or climb... doesn't matter.

Good luck with the re-opening. No doubt its a stressful time after the months of waiting and I hope it goes well for you and everything remains open.

I was reading your first post. You want to become the best runner you can be, better than most in fact ;) However you are still maintaining a lot of heavy lifting. I get that its nowhere near your competitive volume or intensity but keeping up lifting and running is interesting. If you were doing shorter runs like track or were a crossfitter then it makes sense. However you seemed more focused on 5-10k being a step to longer distances, becoming a runner? Lifting and strength has a place in any sport and runners probably don't do enough of it. But at some point to improve as a runner you need to run more and do less of other things.

I remember back in college trying to play competitive rugby and row competitively. It didn't work. Last year with a foot injury I rowed every day of the summer. Then as I got back running, I rowed less. My rowing fitness has fallen off as my run fitness improved. I still row once a week and maybe twice but to be a better runner I've focused on running and the accessories, S&C etc that comes with that.

Technically I said I wanted to be better than most people at most things, not better than most runners at running ;) I'm not naive enough to think that a few months or a year or running would have me out pacing people training it 5+ years.

Distance wise, I'm using 5-10km as my marker, mostly because I can improve at it by continuing to do "easy" runs. Figure if I wanted to get better at shorter stuff there'd be a lot of time in the pain cave, and if I wanted to get better at longer stuff the time commitment would be too great?

The rugby / row / run point stands up, but the biggest difference is that if I was to cut the lifting volume down further I'd probably end up losing even more muscle, and since I've spent (literally) 10+ years building it I'm not giving it all up :D

You could probably argue that I could just go and regain it with a muscle focused cycle, and I could - but doing that would mean cutting run volume way way down and seeing that go backwards.

I guess what I'm trying to do is some sorta concurrent approach.
    At some point the heavy lifting will have to give if you want to improve as a runner. Particularly when you bring interval, tempo stuff in regularly.

I've deffo noticed the biggest recovery demand from those style workouts alright. I expect I'll be in bits tomorrow now after todays effort.
    +1 on the fitness for life motto

My love for running actually developed from the lifting classes I was doing a few years ago, we'd start the class with warm up jog around the building and it grew from there (although I had been jogging a bit up to that point). I wasn't at your standard but was swinging a 32Kg KB and deadlifting my bodyweight roughly. I wasn't long discovering that I couldn't do both well so lifting went. In hindsight, the wrong choice for me although I wouldn't have met all the amazing people I did if I'd stuck with lifting only!!!

They both have fantastic benefits, I'd stick with both and sacrifice being the best at either for those benefits!

Best of luck with the reopening, there'll be lots of happy clients awaiting the big day :).

I think this resonates the best with me. I generally try to be good at whatever I do, but I don't think I could totally sacrifice lifting for it and it seems the recovery impact from running hard was far greater than I expected.

That being said, today's run confirms I don't need to feel smashed all the time to see progress!
    Running 4 days a week can be plenty. Especially starting out. It's worked for me where I've been averaging just over 4 days per week for the last 2 years.

That's very encouraging to hear. Thank you! Could prolly do it faster if I ran more regularly, but I'm sure I've a bit more room to improve before I have to bump up the frequency :)

13.4km @ 6m 06s
    1hr 21min
    78% MHR / 70% HRR

Found our way onto a closed golf course today mid way thru and did a couple of laps - was nice to run on some grass and undulating terrain for once, tho I can deffo feel it in my legs now.

Equalled my "longest time without training" for the last 12 months.

5 days out now with a WHOPPER head cold. Even a walk today was hard.

Little guy brought it back from creche, took my entire ability to suck any air into my nostrils away and robbed my sense of taste for about 24 hours.

Gonna lift something tomorrow and go for a run Saturday even if it kills me.

• Advertisement

FRIDAY - lift
    A) HB Squat
    110kg 5x3

B) Deadlift
    145kg 5x54

B) Military Press - EMOM15:
    40kg 15x9 (deffo didn't get all 9s)

C1) Barbell Curls - EMOM20:
    27kg 10x10

C2) Pushdowns - EMOM20:
    20kg 10x10

SATURDAY - run
    9.5km @ 6m 09s
    58m 25s
    78% MHR / 70% HRR

MONDAY - run
    4.8km @ 6m 04s approx.
    29mins approx.
    77% MHR / 69% HRR

TODAY - lift
    A) Bench - EMOM15:
    82.5kg 15x9

65kg 15x9

C1) Incline Bench:
    72.5kg 5x10

C2) Cable Row:
    40kg 5x10 - resting about 60-90s

D) Dips:
    6x10 - resting < 60s per round

//

Another bumper update. Still not 100% ok so easing myself back in.

Saturday's run was grand. Was absolutely in bits after it physically. Thought I'd lost all my preparedness but then remembered I'd also assembled a trampoline for my son that day and spent a large portion of the next 48 hours ****ing around on it. So the physical discomfort was probably as a result of that :D

Monday's run was really just a bit of a shakedown to get something done. Got runs planned for tomorrow and Saturday too. Might stick a short one in elsewhere to get back to 30km/week.

Both lifting sessions fairly sucked. Endurance fell off the edge of a cliff but that's not too surprising after 2 sessions in as many weeks.

We're off to Connemara for a couple of weeks in july so using between now and then as a run in to really knuckle down with training and try to drop some body fat. I've been paying attention to things recently and my BW currently is sitting right around my average lowest weight for the last couple of years anyway.

If I could drop 5.6kg between now and then I'd be a very happy camper.

Advertisement