Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Ambilight 43PUS8545/12 43-Inch LED TV (4K UHD, P5 Engine, Dolby Vision, Dolby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

tadgho wrote: »

They did not have any 43" Android Ambilights in the 8500 series when I asked them! Just the 50inch or bigger

Do they have the 8500 series in a 50"? Couldn't see it on their website!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

curranbaz wrote: »
    Do they have the 8500 series in a 50"? Couldn't see it on their website!

They said this day last week when I asked them over on their boards forum that they were pending stock of the 50". They also said that they did actually sell the 43" 8555 but took the decision to take it off their website as stock levels were critically low and only had enough for their in-store callers. Id say give them a call to check for the very latest stock figures if its one youre interested in!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

How have people found this Philips?

I'm going to buy a TV this weekend.

The main guy on AVForums seems to think Hisense is the best value for 49 - 55 inch. And thinks the difference between a 350 pound tv and a 500 one isn't worth the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is the ambilight gimmicky or impressive? Think it's something I'd like to see in person before pulling the trigger on one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

6 wrote: »
    Is the ambilight gimmicky or impressive? Think it's something I'd like to see in person before pulling the trigger on one of these.

The ambilight brings a whole new dimension to the room ,I really like it ,the 9000 series is 4 sided ,been v busy so haven’t had much time to tinker with screen settings.
    I’m well impressed with the 58’ 9005 so far ( Curry’s for €650)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

FLOOPER wrote: »
    How have people found this Philips?

I'm going to buy a TV this weekend.

The main guy on AVForums seems to think Hisense is the best value for 49 - 55 inch. And thinks the difference between a 350 pound tv and a 500 one isn't worth the difference.
    Wouldn’t touch a Hisense if was given one free.Bought a 55 inch for over €500 and noticed after a few weeks it had a watermark in the darker parts when watching it .Contacted them and they basically said you bought a cheap tv what do you expect .Worse customer service ever

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Its really nice and anyone who sees it makes a comment.
    Its also great if you can link it to the philips hue smart light system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

The TV in the OP is just an average TV to be fair, but the Amblight is a really cool feature. Our TV has Ambilight and it does add a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Have the TV a week now and been very busy so not been able to do a full review yet
    I hope to get one in the next week and will post here
    so far it’s been a very good experience but there are some annoyances but the ambilight is amazing and is really worth it for a TV at this price
    I’m going to post some questions and queries in the AV forums site and will link them here as I think there are some experts over there that might be able to help on a few things that I can’t figure out

BTW I purchased the 50 inch 9005 from Curry’s UK site

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

kaerobe wrote: »
    Its really nice and anyone who sees it makes a comment.
    Its also great if you can link it to the philips hue smart light system

I take it that the feature needs space to work, if you know what I mean.

My tv is in an alcove shelf, and there is an inch on the sides free, and maybe a couple of inches above it. So the light would be very contained.

I'm guessing it wouldn't work well in that situation.?

• Advertisement

Quick demo of the Ambilight here
    https://youtu.be/p4Zp5LTe2U4

Does anyone know if you can mix the TV sound and sound from a soundbar with this TV in the OP(PUS8545)? Just browsing through the settings there and it gives me the option of putting the sound through either the TV speakers OR through my soundbar but not through both at the same time. My soundbar is great on bass but thinking maybe a mixture of both might get the best mid ranges...Soundbar is connected to TV via Bluetooth. I have the exact same Hitachi soundbar connected to another TV in my house via optical cable and this let's me mix both sound sources..anyone know how I might do this with the Philips??

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Quick demo of the Ambilight here
    https://youtu.be/p4Zp5LTe2U4

Really nice. I use a virign modem and have found the hue bridge isnt found after rebooting for ambilight +hue

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

I got the 9005 from Currys, very happy so far... The ambilight is great, the settings can be changed to minimize or maximize the lighting effect and changed so that it matches sound rather than the picture for Spotify etc.

I'd recommend having a plain wall behind the TV to get the best effect. Philips recommend about 10-15cm

Having Android TV as standard on the TV is great for sideloading apps etc.

The ambilight matched with 4k content like David Attenborough's Our Planet on Netflix is amazing... I've uploaded a few pics from mine as an example

Haven't played around with the picture settings too much yet, so if someone has found something online or themselves that works well let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

A bit late, but I would not recommend purchasing this television. I have had nothing but problems - gone through 2x remotes, various software issues which bricked the tv, extremely slow and unresponsive, and worse of all, the picture flickers!! If it seems too good to be true, its because it probably is :o

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kevinmcm

Very happy with the TV except for the EPG! It does not populate properly at all. Anyone got any tips to make the EPG actually usable?

A bit late, but I would not recommend purchasing this television. I have had nothing but problems - gone through 2x remotes, various software issues which bricked the tv, extremely slow and unresponsive, and worse of all, the picture flickers!! If it seems too good to be true, its because it probably is :o

Early days here as I only have it for just over a week
    However so far for 500 Euro it’s been a great bargain
    The Ambilight is amazing and the sound is great also
    Hopefully I don’t have any of the issues you have had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

This is getting a bit ridiculous at this stage now.

Ordered the 50" about two weeks ago and no news whatsoever.

I'm afraid to contact them in case they just cancel the order (as a few other posters mentioned earlier in the thread.)

I'd like it before xmas.

Anyone in the same boat?

JCDUB wrote: »

I'm afraid to contact them in case they just cancel the order (as a few other posters mentioned earlier in the thread.)

I'd like it before xmas.

Anyone in the same boat?

I was the same regarding the 43" in the OP. Ordered on November 11th, rang Amazon on 21st when it hadn't been dispatched. It was then dispatched by the 23rd after ringing them..so maybe try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭rob316

JCDUB wrote: »

I'd like it before xmas.

Anyone in the same boat?

Amazon? I originally ordered from them too and got fed up. The delay is due to them trying to find a courier who will deliver the TV due to the size. They finally gave me a delivery date last week of 28th Dec so I just cancelled and ordered the non-android version off RS. Paired it with a new chromecast for €58 and I'm happy out. I'm very suspect anyway on how regular the updates are for these android built in TVs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

It was the same story for me as I ordered and it was out of stock and no sign of delivery. Contacted Amazon and they assured me stock would be back in and it would be dispatched ASAP. Offered me a refund if I wasn’t prepared to wait. Few days later it was dispatched and arrived 3 days earlier than expected. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Cool, thanks for replies. I'll get onto them via chat and see what the hold up is.

Richer sounds looking like a good option.

I have the sky box with apps and a 4k fire stick so not too bothered about the android aspect of it.

Edit: got on to Amazon there, useless, couldn't give me a date. Looks like they want Irish customers to cancel because of the hassle of getting it transported over here.

Just got on to Richer Sounds. Hopefully they can help, although it looks like they might be out of stock.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

RonTon wrote: »
    The ambilight brings a whole new dimension to the room ,I really like it ,the 9000 series is 4 sided ,been v busy so haven’t had much time to tinker with screen settings.
    I’m well impressed with the 58’ 9005 so far ( Curry’s for €650)

Got my 70PUS9005 today , cant wait to get it set up ......:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

How much was the 70’?
    sharkman wrote: »
    Got my 70PUS9005 today , cant wait to get it set up ......:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

RonTon wrote: »
    How much was the 70’?

£779

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Bought the 58PUS7855 a couple of weeks ago now, havent even had the chance to open it yet as moving rooms...looking at it in the box is torture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

sharkman wrote: »
    £779

Presume that was from Currys UK as no one else seems to stock the 9005 models. Did you get that shipped via ParcelWizard, any issues given size either in handling or oversize delivery cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

I bought this one on Richer sounds - purely for the 6 year guarantee - bought it Friday and arrived today at lunchtime. Not showing on their website now. Worked out at just under €450 including delivery:)

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/philips-50pus7805-12-50-4k-smart-uhd-led-tv-50pus7805-12/version.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    I bought this one on Richer sounds - purely for the 6 year guarantee - bought it Friday and arrived today at lunchtime. Not showing on their website now. Worked out at just under €450 including delivery:)

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/philips-50pus7805-12-50-4k-smart-uhd-led-tv-50pus7805-12/version.asp

I bought 2 of these from Richersounds, one for us and one for a present. Its a great TV, very sharp picture and love the sound on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

brightkane wrote: »
    I bought 2 of these from Richersounds, one for us and one for a present. Its a great TV, very sharp picture and love the sound on it.

Good to hear that - buying a TV now is as bad as trying to find the correct light bulb! So many different models. Took a while to pick one out - I had my heart set on the 55" Samsung they had but that wasn't available for delivery - I was also considering the 58" Philips but thought it would be too big so eventually settled on a newer model (I think!!) 50"

Advertisement