Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Walrus: LeVar Goes to the Pictures: The Reveal

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Congrats sippey, well played and thanks LeVar, great commitment and great writeups, thanks for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Congratulations on your win s1ippy.

Fair play LeVar, really impressive on how quickly you went through this. It would take me months to complete this.
    Great fun and also great categories - especially the last one with the soundtracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Out of curiosity, how would have Drive or my favourite movie soundtrack (thought it was too obvious to pick) Footloose done in that last category Levar?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sawduck wrote: »
    It's in my top ten favorite films of all time so I'm happy it did well and got me my first ever first place in a walrus :D great game laVar, seeing all these great movies has inspired me to try my own movie walrus. Congrats s1ippy on your victory

Are you opening Sign Ups tonight? :D

giphy.gif

Kolido wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how would have Drive or my favourite movie soundtrack (thought it was too obvious to pick) Footloose done in that last category Levar?

I think I lasted 15 minutes into Drive before turning it off, but for all intents and purposes I haven't watched it so hard to say, wouldn't really be my cup of tea in general.

Footloose, been a long time since I watched so can't say with any certainty, but yeah I think it probably would've done pretty well, I love the story and I remember the soundtrack being pretty solid, so would potentially be in the Top 3, but if you look how close the ratings were between 2nd and 8th place in that last round, who knows... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I didn't enter as I couldn't think of a great film for all the categories. For documentary I thought Senna would be far too obvious, but no one picked it. I'd highly recommend it... when you're feeling up to films again :p

OOOOOOOOOOO so close let down by a personal favorite of mine actually I thought the sound trrack was much higher risk then the movie, which has one of my favorite musical moments in a movie when the man of constant sorrow song comes on.

Congrats Slippy on a great win.

And a great reveal Le Var you set a standard on movie walrus I dont think will ever be matched certianly not in the turnaround time. I cant wait to get through a few of these.

For me the greatest movie/soundtrack is pulp fiction i absolutely adore the soundtrack but felt like it was too mainstream a pick.

I didn't enter as I couldn't think of a great film for all the categories. For documentary I thought Senna would be far too obvious, but no one picked it. I'd highly recommend it... when you're feeling up to films again :p

It might be awhile before I watch anything someone recommends to me. :pac:

I am looking forward to potentially watching a film this evening that I don't have to rank or review or rip to shreds and that I can turn off if it's sh*te. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Are you opening Sign Ups tonight? :D

giphy.gif

Since you asked so nicely I will open it up tonight, should be up and running soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

In 4th place with 10 points is
    s1ippy

There Will Be Blood (2007)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/

Have I Seen it Before: No

LeVar's Approval Rating: 85%
    Sweet Sweet Soundtrack Rating: 92%
    Total Average: 88.5%

To be perfectly honest, I was dreading watching this one. It didn't seem like something I'd even be able to feign interest in ; just reading the 24 word synopsis on IMDB nearly bored me to tears, and the idea of sitting through over two and a half hours of something dull and dreary was not in the least appealing. What I'm getting at its not the usual thing I'd choose to sit down and watch regardless of how many awards it may have won. So it was quite the surprise that I thought it was fantastic ; it does drag on a bit towards the end, but otherwise its superb. Jonny Greenwood's score is truly excellent and flows seamlessly with the film, almost as if it were a character in it's own right, and does a fantastic job at setting the tone. I barely noticed that the first fifteen or so minutes of the film doesn't have any dialogue, which is a testament to how effective the score is.

my favourite movie ever. Never paid much attention to the score tho. must rewatch with that in focus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

frozen 2 soundtrack is just wonderful.

Go and listen to it, disregard the overly obvious 'this is a kids movie' tracks and pay attention to how fantastic some of the others. If they weren't in this movie they'd have easily come close to chart toppers I think!

congrats to slippydoodles! and well done levar for watching them all in such a short time!

LeVar Goes To The Movies Top 10 (Overall Walrus Ranking)

1. Dazed & Confused (100%)
    = Miss Americana (100%)
    3. It Follows (98%)
    4. Hot Rod (97%)
    = Three Identical Strangers (97%)
    6. The Blackcoat's Daughter (96%)
    7. Man On Wire (95%)
    8. Bringing Up Baby (93%)
    = Searching For Sugar Man (93%)
    10. My Octopus Teacher (92%)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Well done Slippy.
    That's some good spooning Necs.
    Thank you for your service LB, nicely presented.

tusk wrote: »
    my favourite movie ever. Never paid much attention to the score tho. must rewatch with that in focus!

I have to say it was interesting watching films while actively paying attention to scores and soundtracks that you might otherwise take for granted.

Since you asked so nicely I will open it up tonight, should be up and running soon :)

I'll probably not be able think of any films except for the 49 I've watched over the past two weeks... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,067 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's in my top ten favorite films of all time so I'm happy it did well and got me my first ever first place in a walrus :D great game laVar, seeing all these great movies has inspired me to try my own movie walrus. Congrats s1ippy on your victory

Alright Alright Alright :D the birth of McCoughney

Very enjoyable even if my picks were weak in some categories

Congratulations winner and thank you LeVar

I have discovered some new things to watch

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Alright Alright Alright :D the birth of McCoughney

Very enjoyable even if my picks were weak in some categories

Congratulations winner and thank you LeVar

I have discovered some new things to watch

You were unlucky in how your Comedy and Soundtrack choices went down, but your Horror and Documentary were cracking choices in fairness.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Forgot about this. Apollo 11 should have been number one. Rest where correct.

I was gonna submit the same film(Spinal Tap) for the last 3 category

RasTa wrote: »
    Forgot about this. Apollo 11 should have been number one. Rest where correct.

It really shouldn't have been... ***stifles yawn just thinking about it***
    I was gonna submit the same film(Spinal Tap) for the last 3 category

It would've saved me a bit of time, but wouldn't have made much of a difference in your scoring, except that you'd have a few points fewer overall... :pac:

It really shouldn't have been... ***stifles yawn just thinking about it***

It would've saved me a bit of time, but wouldn't have made much of a difference in your scoring, except that you'd have a few points fewer overall... :pac:

You're just not appreciative enough for fine art. Go on this journey right now, at least the first song.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    You're just not appreciative enough for fine art. Go on this journey right now, at least the first song.

Well I'm loving this, but how that correlates with Apollo 11 is beyond me.

Well I'm loving this, but how that correlates with Apollo 11 is beyond me.

Both erm, masterpieces!

Just caught up on this (as LeVar knows through PM) and delighted to finish on the podium in a Walrus haha.

I think I've only done one other one (music) and did abysmally.

Glad you enjoyed my nominations, LeVar.

16RK.gif

Just caught up on this (as LeVar knows through PM) and delighted to finish on the podium in a Walrus haha.

I think I've only done one other one (music) and did abysmally.

Glad you enjoyed my nominations, LeVar.

16RK.gif

Any Walrus depends entirely on the host, so wouldn't be too disheartened by doing poorly in one music Walrus, you could go from dead last in one to winning the next.

You had some solid selections in this one anyway - 2nd place in both Horror and Comedy is good going.

giphy.gif

Haha, I don't think I'd do any better if I entered a music one ran by you.

Haha, I don't think I'd do any better if I entered a music one ran by you.

Yeah, based on decades tournaments, probably not, but you never know.

Here we go again... My Movie Walrus Sequel... Sign-Ups Now Open...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058173046

Advertisement