Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Walrus: LeVar Goes to the Pictures: The Reveal

Options

Comments

Congrats Tuskaroony

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That concludes this evening's Double Feature, but not long to wait for the exciting conclusion as we have another Double Feature tomorrow, slightly earlier because I know there's a live game of Among Us taking place tomorrow evening, and I'm sure other people have other zoom things and the like.

Gonna aim for about a 5pm start tomorrow, hope you'll all join me again, and hope you're still enjoying LeVar Goes to the Pictures

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

In 2nd place with 12 points is
    Deleted User

Bringing Up Baby (1938)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029947/

Have I Seen it Before: No

LeVar's Approval Rating: 93%

I really should watch more classic comedies from the '30s, '40s, and '50s, because the few I've seen I've always really really enjoyed. I have a soft spot for miscommunication comedies, so this was a lot of fun, and just a joy to watch ; was smiling from start to finish. Katherine Hepburn was an absolute delight and the film definitely lives or dies on her performance being good, but for me she nailed it. I was getting Clark Kent vibes from Cary Grant throughout, which makes sense, because I was reading some trivia about the film afterwards which said that Christopher Reeve based his Clark Kent on Grant's performance here. I wish they still made comedies like this, there's a real timelessness to it that I don't think recent comedy movies can pull off.

Brilliant choice, saw it last year and it was very funny, might give it a rewatch soon

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Even William Macy didn't make you "happy" LeVar :( not even a 0% rating

I should have nominated Spaceballs

Yeah, not even William H. Macy could save that disaster. My apologies.

Honestly, Spaceballs probably wouldn't have done all that better I don't think. I've not actually seen it, a clip or two maybe, but Mel Brooks hardly won me over with Silent Movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yeah, not even William H. Macy could save that disaster. My apologies.

Honestly, Spaceballs probably wouldn't have done all that better I don't think. I've not actually seen it, a clip or two maybe, but Mel Brooks hardly won me over with Silent Movie.

Spy was my other contender, Jason Statham is brilliant in it

• Advertisement

Yeah that would've done well alright, up there alongside Central Intelligence somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Good film too. Also one of those movies you think is gonna be crap but then tricks you

Ozark proves he can act in more than comedies

Haven't seen it yet. Is in the list tho

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

tusk wrote: »
    Haven't seen it yet. Is in the list tho

No it's a tv series

Forgot to say thanks for nominating all those great (and not so great) Horrors and Comedies, great experience overall.

As a teaser for tomorrow.

The Documentaries was easily the strongest category, so expect some very high ratings there (even if that sadly doesn't always translate to high points)... One of the documentaries even made me cry, whether that was a good thing or bad thing remains to be seen... ;)

The Soundtracks were also very very good, some great discoveries in there too. That one will be marked a bit differently as I rated the overall film out of 100%, but also gave the soundtrack a separate rating out of 100% and then took the averages of the two for the rankings, so some films could've been dragged up a few places based on a solid soundtrack or down by a dull plotline, and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Congrats tusk and thanks LeVar for an entertaining evening. Looking forward to tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Now everyone go watch A Tale of Two Sisters

:)

If you didn't like my comedy, you're damaged beyond repair.

This aged well.

This aged well.

I guess we know now that you're only seriously damaged in other ways....

Hot rod is a very dangerous choice. Only seriously deranged people seem to like it.

I guess we know now that you're only seriously damaged in other ways....

Hot rod is a very dangerous choice. Only seriously deranged people seem to like it.

Its the same tone and juvenile but clever humour as one of my other favourite comedies, Wet Hot American Summer, which I highly recommend if you haven't already seen it.

The Documentary reveal kicking off in just a couple of minutes!!!

giphy.gif

There was a duplicate in this round, so the person in first will still earn 13 and then down the line and last place will earn 2 points regardless.

As I mentioned yesterday evening this was the strongest round and very highly rated overall, the Top 8 were got an over 80% approval rating.

In 7th place with 7 points is
    tusk

CitizenFour (2014)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4044364/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 88%

Obviously Edward Snowden's Whistleblowing was one of the biggest stories of 2013 and had such an impact globally and is something that affects anyone who is in anyway "on the grid", so I was definitely familiar with the subject matter, at least on a surface level anyway, but I had never really looked in to it in depth or watched anything more than news snippets. This was really interesting to see how it all went down, and how the information was released, from the perspective of Snowden and the others involved. Just seeing those conversations take place in that hotel room was class to see - this is literally an opportunity to be a fly on the wall of a room where history was made. I'm actually disappointed in myself that I hadn't watched it sooner because it is fascinating. Great choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Watching the Challenger documentary on Netflix while this goes on :)

• Advertisement

In 6th place with 8 points is
    Deleted User

The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young (2014)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2400291/

Have I Seen it Before: Yes

LeVar's Approval Rating: 89%

This was one of the two documentaries I had seen previous to this Walrus, and it's just as enjoyable a watch the second time around. I had predicted it would probably be in the Top 3 before I had watched any of the documentaries, but standard of the top half of this round was just so high though, that it was knocked down a few spots from where I thought it would be. The concept of the race itself is really unique, but it was the sense of community that surrounds it and the fact that its low key and the guys who run it refuse to sell out and make it a commercial event. I also really like that the style of the documentary isn't in anyway flashy and is essentially a film that had zero (or close to zero) budget, which fits really well with the ethos of the Barkley Marathon itself.

In 8th place with 6 points is
    Sawduck

Missing 411: The Hunted (2019)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10524262/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 84%

Very intriguing and definitely one that leaves me wanting to look more into these types of missing cases, and possibly reading some of David Paulides' work. I wasn't familiar with him beforehand, so wasn't expecting the documentary to go in the direction it did in the latter half, but I'm a big fan of the unexplainable, so it certainly piqued my interest even more. As a documentary it works well as an introduction into a much greater narrative and really just cherry picks a few cases and shines a bit of a spotlight on them without getting a chance to delve too deeply in to any of them. I see there's another documentary called Missing 411 that I'll be checking out at some point, although I really think this could potentially be a long running TV Series for the History Channel or something, with each episode devoted entirely to a one case every week. Great choice though, left me wanting more.

In 5th place with 9 points is
    fixXxer

My Octopus Teacher (2020)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12888462/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 92%

Absolutely amazing. The cinematography is breathtaking and it’s just a really lovely film. I had seen people mentioning how great this was when it was released a month or so ago, so I did have it in the back of my mind to take a look at some point, even though nature documentaries wouldn't necessarily be my go to ; I do think there's some great ones, just wouldn't really be the first thing I'd think of to sit down and watch. The fact the entire story is about following one Octopus was really great, because I'm used to the likes of David Attenborough that has a brief look at all of the animals in the area at the same time, but the more personable story here was really nice.

In 9th place with 5 points is
    Deleted User

Medicinal Cannabis and its Impact on Human Health [aka. Cannabis Science] (2011)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1864412/

No trailer for this, but full doc is on YouTube

LeVar's Approval Rating: 72%

Hey man, I don't need a documentary to tell me that Cannabis is class, preaching to the choir there. Really enjoyed this anyway, you can never have too many scientists and medical professionals explaining why Marijuana is great for pretty much everything ; I even learned from Dr. Bearman (great name) in this, that it even helps with Diarrhea, which is something I hadn't heard before. It's a really simple and straightforward documentary, just 45 minutes of pure facts, which I thought might feel a little lecture-like, but it held my interest throughout even if it wasn't especially flashy. Nothing more to say about this one really, I think we all should be consuming Cannabis regularly in whichever form works best for you, so pass the dutchie 'pon the left hand side and let us all raise a spliff and toke to good health and naturally grown medicine.

Joint in 4th place with 10 points each are
    Shane U, the purple tin

Searching For Sugar Man (2012)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2125608/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 93%

This is the sort of documentary I absolutely love. I was hooked from the very beginning and it's such a mental story that my attention never waned. It's inrtiguing and mysterious, uplifting, and the music is extremely enjoyable too. Hadn't heard of Rodriguez before (which isn't all that surprising, having seen the film), but I'm glad I didn't know anything going in because it's such a mad story that knowing anything in advance would've taken away from the rollercoaster of a narrative. Having quickly read up on it after watching, there are a couple of omissions that make things a little misleading, but in the grand scheme of what this documentary sets out to achieve it doesn't really matter all that much to me as the documentary is otherwise solid, just would've been nice if it had been addressed (even if only as a footnote at the very end).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Searching for Sugarman is class, one of this effortless documentaries that although you don't know the artist you really get drawn into it.
    Great choice lads.

In 10th place with 4 points is
    RasTa

20 Feet From Stardom (2013)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2396566/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 57%

There was so much potential here to be something much more compelling, but I think they failed to really scratch the surface and it was all a bit too fluffy and feel good, when there was much more waiting to be explored. There were a handful of really good stories that were glossed over as anecdotes that I wish they had dove into ; Darlene Love's and the situation with Phil Spector for instance, or Merry Clayton singing background on Sweet Home Alabama and the Civil Rights Movement in general as a backdrop. The director was so eager to shoehorn in as many stories and as many people as possible in that nothing had a chance to breathe, which led to the whole thing falling a bit flat for me. It could've easily watched an entire film just about Merry Clayton's experience and I think that would've made an excellent documentary, or a whole film on Darlene Love, but as it was they each only had a portion of the run time, so their stories were rushed and incomplete, to make room for other singers (who were far less interesting in my opinion) to get screentime as well. I did enjoy the music though.

In 3rd place with 11 points is
    s1ippy

Man On Wire (2008)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1155592/

Have I Seen it Before: Yes

LeVar's Approval Rating: 95%

This was the film that kickstarted my love for documentaries, when I first saw it back sometime in or around 2010 ; prior to that the few documentaries I had seen were alright, but never did anything to win me over to the genre. After seeing Man On Wire the first time around I started actively seeking out documentaries to watch, and have discovered some amazing ones since. I had actually forgotten how great this one really is until I sat down and re-watched it for this, and it's such an uplifting story, but also kind of insane when you realise the level of planning that went in to pulling off a heist to get up to the top of the Twin Towers and set up everything needed for the wire walk. As with all great Heists, there are set backs and tension amongst those involved, which makes for a fantastic story in itself, but then the emotion and joy that everyone feels when they're talking about the wire walk itself has a certain beauty to it. Not to mention the absolute joy and excitement in Philippe Petit throughout, and just his passion for high wire cable walking is great to see. Excellent choice.

Which means Necro and JP Liz V1 find themselves once again the top or bottom two, with Kolido and Irish Aris having to sweat it out a bit for the first time this game...

***brief tension building pause***

• Advertisement

In 11th place with 3 points is
    Irish Aris

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room (2005)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1016268/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 19%

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Such a snorefest! Big business, the stock market, financial fraud, corporate greed, etc, bores me to tears ; I'm so far removed from that world that I just can't even feign interest in it, and damn it I tried to here. I was hoping there'd be some great twist and it would quickly turn into a murder documentary or something, but alas no, it did exactly what it said on the tin. There'll be Business Enthusiasts and Wall Street Nerds, who I'm sure would jizz their pants watching this, but doesn't appeal to me at all. To give it some credit, there is a 15 minute segment after the halfway point about the California Power Crisis and the part Enron played in that, that genuinely piqued my interest, and I really enjoyed that bit. If the whole documentary had been just about that, I could've gotten on board with that and I wouldn't be here giving it such a scathing review ; unfortunately there was another 90 minutes of being waterboarded by stuff I couldn't care less about. The soundtrack also managed to score it a few brownie points, as every so often there'd be a short reprieve from the mind-numbing dullness as Marilyn Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams, RHCP's Californication, or Lovefool by the Cardigans, amongst other enjoyable songs, would play, so that was nice. Sorry Aris, I think you knew yourself that this was a risky choice.

Advertisement