Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Walrus: LeVar Goes to the Pictures: The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Which mean your top 2 and bottom 2 for the Horror films are...

Necro
    Hello 2D Person Below
    tusk
    MicksJaguar

***tension increases***

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

source.gif

In 12th place with 2 points is
    Necro

Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363547/

Have I Seen it Before: Yes

LeVar's Approval Rating: 17%

I really like a good zombie movie, and I think the original Dawn of the Dead is very enjoyable (as far as I remember anyway), but this remake really doesn't do anything for me at all. The biggest problem is that Zack Snyder is the director, who is without a doubt my least favourite director ever, I just can't warm to his so-called style. Given that this was his first big feature, it's certainly not as bad as some of his more recent projects that I've been forced to sit through, but the Snyder-isms are still there all the same. Ultimately my biggest problem is that Snyder just sucks any excitement or humour out of everything he touches and what should be a decent film is at best incredibly bland and dull. There were very few saving graces, and even though at its core the story is a good one, its poorly executed, and we've literally seen it all before. The characters are boring and I didn't give a sh*t about what happened to a single one of them. I didn't think much of the zombies, and the action sequences annoyed me (again, Snyder, ugh). The actors didn't look like they wanted to be there or were just really bad, apart from Ty Burrell who was actually the saving grace that made me rate this one slightly higher than I would have otherwise, but only slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Drag me to hell, great choice, havent seen the tale of two sisters but the American remake is actually quite good, the uninvited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I don't even remember mine. I'm sure it's **** :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Glad you enjoyed it. It's one of those films that you can watch straight away a second time and marvel at the clues you missed

In 2nd place with 12 points is
    Deleted User

The Blackcoat's Daughter [aka. February] (2015)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3286052/

Have I Seen it Before: No

LeVar's Approval Rating: 96%

This was right up my alley. I had this on my Netflix watchlist a few years ago, but it obviously disappeared before I got around to watching it, and I forgot about it. I'm so glad to have finally seen it. It's exactly the type of film I'd wander in to the Savoy after lunch on a whim some Tuesday, and most likely having the whole screen to myself, getting lost in the film for an hour and a half, coming out more than pleasantly surprised by the random little horror film I had just seen. A lot of times with horror films, I find that knowing the cast from other things beforehand can help me immediately get on board with the characters, and I knew and liked Kiernan Shipka, Lucy Boynton, Emma Roberts, and James Remar going in to this so I was invested straight away. This is one of those horrors that I feel is a bit more open to interpretation than what it appears to be on the surface which is probably why I liked it as much as I did ; don't want to post any spoilers about the film itself, but just to elaborate slightly
    I looked at the film more as an exploration of mental health, and anything a bit more out there was more of a metaphor
    . It's probably not a film that everyone would rate as highly, but for me it's near perfect.

In last place and getting a 1 participation point is
    tusk

White Noise (2005)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375210/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 2%

I genuinely didn't think any film could fare worse in this round than a found footage flick or a Zack Snyder monstrosity, but f**k me if this wasn't the worst thing I've ever sat through. I would have thought the presence of Michael Keaton alone would've made this decent enough, but the film is so completely dull there's nothing he can do to save it, and its undoubtedly the blandest outing of his career ; a quick cash grab phoned in performance and nothing more. In fairness to tusk, he did say when picking this that he actually can't remember anything about it aside from the fact he watched it with some friends and that it had "an effect" on him ; I'm going to assume that effect was inducing a coma, and that your memory has since warped that into something else. Or maybe I'm simply overreacting and other people will think it's not that bad, but I genuinely can't think of anything I've watched that was worse. I'll give it a couple of pity percentage points because even Michael Keaton at his worst is better than most others.

The Winner of The Horror film and picking up an apt 13 points is
    Deleted User

It Follows (2014)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3235888/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 98%

One of my all-time favourite horror films. Such a brilliant concept and executed perfectly. When I first saw it a few years ago, it managed to get under my skin and I felt tense watching it, completely immersed in the film. Re-watching it this time around I didn't think it would have the same sort of effect, but I felt just as tense despite knowing what happens. I find the way its filmed and edited works really well to create an uncomfortable atmosphere, and it's a bit rough around the edges, but that only adds to the appeal for me ; if it had a larger budget or was produced by one of the bigger studios, I think it would lose a lot of its charm, so I wouldn't change anything. I remember recommending it to some friends after I had seen it the first time around and one of them told me to pitch it to them in no more than five words, and I think the exact words I said were "Sexually Transmitted Chain Letter Monster" which was enough to convince him it was worth checking out.

In last place and getting a 1 participation point is
    tusk

White Noise (2005)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375210/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 2%

I genuinely didn't think any film could fare worse in this round than a found footage flick or a Zack Snyder monstrosity, but f**k me if this wasn't the worst thing I've ever sat through. I would have thought the presence of Michael Keaton alone would've made this decent enough, but the film is so completely dull there's nothing he can do to save it, and its undoubtedly the blandest outing of his career ; a quick cash grab phoned in performance and nothing more. In fairness to tusk, he did say when picking this that he actually can't remember anything about it aside from the fact he watched it with some friends and that it had "an effect" on him ; I'm going to assume that effect was inducing a coma, and that your memory has since warped that into something else. Or maybe I'm simply overreacting and other people will think it's not that bad, but I genuinely can't think of anything I've watched that was worse. I'll give it a couple of pity percentage points because even Michael Keaton at his worst is better than most others.

I didn't expect much here. But the review was worth it lol

• Advertisement

Well played mick, great choice indeed.

I really enjoyed that one, and even the bad ones because it's fun to tear things to shreds, but also sorry... :pac:

One Round Down, Three To Go...

The leaderboard as it stands:

name Horror Comedy Documentary Soundtrack Total
    MicksJaguar 13 13
    Hello 2D Person Below 12 12
    fixXxer 11 11
    JP Liz V1 10 10
    ShaneU 9 9
    Irish Aris 8 8
    s1ippy 7 7
    the purple tin 6 6
    Kolido 5 5
    RasTa 4 4
    Sawduck 3 3
    Necro 2 2
    tusk 1 1

The Comedy round is coming up in just a few minutes. You have time to go for a pee and throw on the kettle if you wish, have 1 or 2 behind the scenes things need doing before I crack on, but won't be long. Hope you're all enjoying the reveal.

Congrats Mick.

I never got the whole deal with it follows...

People are mad for it. I didn't think it was great.

But then I don't really enjoy horrors.

The Comedy round is coming up in just a few minutes. You have time to go for a pee and throw on the kettle if you wish, have 1 or 2 behind the scenes things need doing before I crack on, but won't be long. Hope you're all enjoying the reveal.

If you didn't like my comedy, you're damaged beyond repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I might give one of these comedy movies a watch tonight hopefully some great ones are nominated

tusk wrote: »
    I didn't expect much here. But the review was worth it lol

:D

I dont watch comedy, so if I do bad here I at least have an excuse :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote: »
    I dont watch comedy, so if I do bad here I at least have an excuse :D

Straight up comedies do nothing for me either tbh, I like a bit of action or something alongside it :)

Necro wrote: »
    Straight up comedies do nothing for me either tbh, I like a bit of action or something alongside it :)

It's hard to find a good comedy these days.

• Advertisement

The effort of finding Comedy gifs to announce the round is about to begin, once again, couldn't be arsed, lets just do this...

giphy.gif

In 7th place with 7 points is
    Kolido

Dumb & Dumber (1994)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109686/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 80%

Mock… Yeah… Ing… Yeah… Bird… Yeah… Yeah… Yeah…
    From the age of twelve to about fifteen this was easily my favourite film, I thought it was absolutely hilarious and watched it countless times. Some of the shine has worn off and my comedy tastes have changed, but its still a damn enjoyable movie, and its been well over ten years since I last gave it a watch, so it was a nice nostalgia trip for me. I should probably add that this is one of my absolute favourite film soundtracks and was the inspiration for the Soundtrack round when I was thinking up categories, so it would've gotten full marks on the soundtrack side of things if it had been entered for that round. Soundtrack highlights: "Too Much of a Good Thing", "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm", "Crash", "Where I Find My Heaven", "New Age Girl", "If You Don't Love Me (I'll Kill Myself)" ; all of which are on regular rotation on my playlists.

Whooop gald you liked it and now the pressure is off dont mind if i score badly for here on in :D

I'm not big into horrors but I remember after watching it follows been creeped the **** out by it, just kinda on edge the whole movie as opposed to being outright scared.

Cabin in the woods was on my shortlist but thought it was a little obvious my outsider was descent scared the bajysus out of it but think i may have had a few watching it :pac:

In 8th place with 6 points is
    RasTa

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 77%

I really love the mockumentary genre, and Spinal Tap is a great send up of actual Rock N' Roll documentaries. There's some iconic jokes in there and it's an enjoyable watch, but I've never enjoyed it to the extent that its biggest fans want everyone to like it. I don't want to talk about the music here, because this also got nominated for the Soundtrack category, so will get in to how I feel about the music itself more when that comes around, but its worth saying that a lot of the comedy is meant to come from the absurdity of the song lyrics and none of it really screams comedy to me, songs like that are a dime a dozen nowadays and as the film pre-dates my existence that was never a new or exciting thing for me as it may have been at the time of the film's release. Christopher Guest is the standout performer for me here, anytime Nigel is being interviewed I thoroughly enjoy it, and the film itself laid a lot of groundwork for popularising mockumentaries for which I salute it.

Whooop gald you liked it and now the pressure is off dont mind if i score badly for here on in :D

I'm not big into horrors but I remember after watching it follows been creeped the **** out by it, just kinda on edge the whole movie as opposed to being outright scared.

Cabin in the woods was on my shortlist but thought it was a little obvious my outsider was descent scared the bajysus out of it but think i may have had a few watching it :pac:

Descent was another one from all the lists that I didn't get. Do I just not get horrors?

Descent was another one from all the lists that I didn't get. Do I just not get horrors?

I dont like most horros so im not sure, but found those two scary.

In 6th place with 8 points is
    Deleted User

A Futile and Stupid Gesture (2018)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5566790/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 85%

I found this one very interesting. It's a great biopic, and I loved the framing devices they used. It's also very funny, of course, some very good laughs in it. I've only ever had a passing interest in National Lampoon, so wasn't aware of any of the behind the scenes drama that you see in this. I've worked in print media, and radio, and TV, and been in countless writing rooms, and creative bullpens, so the subject matter would've been of great interest to me even if this was a straight-up drama, but I'm glad they stayed true to the people involved in the story and opted for a National Lampoon style. I enjoyed the cast, familiar with the majority of them from their other work, and it was nice that most are people from comedy backgrounds. As a big Community fan I also got a real kick out of Joel McHale playing the part of Chevy Chase.

Descent is pretty good, rewatched it recently

In 9th place with 5 points is
    fixXxer

The Death of Stalin (2017)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4686844/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 75%

They did a great job at satirising Soviet Russia, and making dictators and politicians who commited horrific atrocities come across as bumbling idiots. I definitely enjoyed this, although I wouldn't say I've ever been particulary interested in Russian History or Politics, so I may not have appreciated it as much as I should have. I liked that all the actors just used their regular accents and didn't have to put on a Russian dialect ; that definitely added to the absurdity of things. Gets a bit more bogged down in the actual politics in the second half, and while the comedy was coming fast and hard early on, the laughs were a lot less frequent as it built up to the climax. I always love Steve Buscemi and he was brilliant as always in this, and most of the cast did a great job. I've never been mad about Jeffrey Tambor, so was pretty indifferent to him. Overall, very enoyable film, but couldn't compete with those I've ranked ahead of it unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Probably should've mentioned this was a pretty strong round overall, so anything 9th place or above in this one were really really good. Anything that gets over 70% from me is a very solid score.

Advertisement