Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stealing milk. MOD NOTE POST #1

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

banie01 wrote: »
    Let's disregard this thread or indeed any other vegan thread being the trigger for complaints about vegan preaching.

Lets instead take the video the OP included in the 1st post?
    Do you not think that is a link to a person on youtube preaching?
    Do you think the target of his diatribe is those committed to the vegan lifestyle?
    Or is he attempting to shame those who like a glass of milk?
    Who is the target audience for the video?

Let's draw some inferences from the video, in particular, the fact that it's lecturer is on the beg.
    The video if you actually go to youtube includes a link to their Patreon.
    The Youtube channel is also monetised.
    This lad who I think is an Oxbridge Philosophy student is monetising his arguments. So he can buy more equipment, build better production values and...
    Reach more with his preach.
    Its almost as bad as passing a church collection plate, but at least I can get gluten-free Jesus on Sunday and meet a few friends for a natter.

I am back at Uni as a mature student currently and when we were on campus, the amount of vegan lifestyle preaching encountered was quite large.
    I'm glad you haven't encountered the new style prosytelizing vegan as yet.
    I wish I could say the same.

Not at you OP - but would just like to call out the usual sub-aggresive practice in these threads of posters being accussed of being part of a lobby group or even 'anti vegan' when posting a comment. Or indeed the usual full frontal personal attack for even daring to comment. Fuking bs.

But yes you are correct- many of these threads are little more than proselytising.

That said they certainly aren't 'vegan threads'. Nothing about how good tofu is or broccoli or wholefoods or anything even remotely equivalent

The usual approach is an attack on agriculture. Usual a video which infers all farmers engage in 'cruelty' or wtte. Then some additional unsupported commentary how milk or whatever product is the equivalent to nuclear waste or something

Funnily enough - known as advocacy / outreach and perhaps not surprisingly some religions seem fond of using social media to 'spread the ... message'.

https://www.adweek.com/digital/using-social-media-spread-word-god-bible-league-international-comments/
    Using Social Media to Spread the Word ...

In today’s ever more digitally connected world, religious groups including Bible League International are of the belief that social media can be a valuable and effective method of reaching out to their followers all over the world.

https://theveganreview.com/importance-social-media-activism-during-lockdown/
    Our individual platforms, no matter how small are powerful. And it is imperative that we each use them to spread the vegan message. 

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Honestly, I haven't watched the video and I have no want to do so. I try to avoid extremists of all flavour.

Again, I fail to see how you are being preached to when you clicked on the video and watched it willingly.

To me, being preached to would be someone badgering me about my diet choices with no input from me to start this.

Of course I watched the video willingly.
    It would be a little remiss of someone to state an opinion on something they haven't watched or have no experience of.
    That would be a little hypocritical, don't you think?

Gozunda has actually framed it quite well regarding the current state of play.
    There is very little actual advocacy for veganism being a tasty choice or having other benefits.
    In the vast majority of instances it starts with a cry to emotion against animal cruelty and evil agriculture.

It's far better to offer people alternative choices and make those attractive, than it is to force change by portraying current choices evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This is the start of something that will back me into a corner and force me to switch over to human meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

kowloon wrote: »
    This is the start of something that will back me into a corner and force me to switch over to human meat.

Well at least be ethical about it , start with vegans

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

kowloon wrote: »

This link about that already posted

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Nice. Dump a 40 minute video of something that not all that many people are interested in. Especially at this time of the day when they are pouring cows milk on the breakfast, and into their tea and coffee.

What are your thoughts on the video? You really have to compel me with very good arguments to watch a 40 minute propaganda video.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

OP bump a thread in this manner again by link dumping and it will be a forum ban.

This is a discussion site not some place for you to try and bait other posters with rubbish like the above and no opinion of your own attached.

Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement