Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stealing milk. MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

Would be less financially damaging if we got farmers not directly supplying Ireland with meat to instead grow hemp to make rope with. I shouldn't be paying carbon tax on the emissions on my car for essentual journeys while some arsehole is supplying meat to a plate in China when they could produce the same product there much more sustainably.

And much more lucrative again to grow weed for smoking instead of boring auld hemp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

nofools wrote: »
    And much more lucrative again to grow weed for smoking instead of boring auld hemp.

But do we have the climate for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 82,043 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A good cash crop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Yeah maybe...i would turn my attention to ending human suffering first though

Pro choice, i like butter and real milk myself

But if we reach beyond human suffering, as in animal suffering, perpetrated by humans , would you not think we would be more wont to consider our differential treatment of all.
    "The measure of a civilization is how it treats its weakest members.”
    We can't countenance a fair worldview if we hold discriminatory values.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Cows suffer if not milked, they now produce far more milk than one or two calves can drink, bred for it as such, full udders distress animals and can lead to illness such as mastitis.. How to tackle that is so difficult on all sorts of fronts that no one wants to tackle it.. Especially while a lot of people still want dairy, meat and leather products..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Cows suffer if not milked, they now produce far more milk than one or two calves can drink, bred for it as such, full udders distress animals and can lead to illness such as mastitis.. How to tackle that is so difficult on all sorts of fronts that no one wants to tackle it.. Especially while a lot of people still want dairy, meat and leather products..

People still want dairy flesh and leather products because the overwhelming societal notion perpetuated by incomplete big business advertising lends them a place of ignorant comfort. Animals suffer for the end product. That's the part omitted from the general narrative. Sentient beings given the choice would choose to say NO. No I don't want to be subjected to your high welfare practices when it's detrimental to my being. It's not high welfare. It only undermines all integrity.
    Societal values will never grow while we step on the rights of sentient creatures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Exactly, so now animals are a 'crop' if somehow there was a law passed tomorrow that we no longer consume these products then the animal and human suffering would be immense for some years depending on how it is handled, one thing for certain? Many, many deaths, predominantly animal..
    I do drink milk and eat meat but i understand where you come from on the welfare standpoint, i'm just a sucker for temptation i guess. I just wondered how, logistically, humanely, economically and environmentally ethically we could begin to change the current situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

is palm oil the great savior?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

s1ippy wrote: »
    Presumably the best solution then would be to grow predominantly oats instead of keeping grass for cattle, because it's possible to produce milk from oats.

It isn't .
    It ain't milk , you might as well call it oat water ,
    Tried it , rather not ..
    Now oats with milk, I like ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Is there not a dedicated forum where nutritionally deficient malcontents can ramble about this nonsense without subjecting the rest of us to it?

• Advertisement

auspicious wrote: »
    But if we reach beyond human suffering, as in animal suffering, perpetrated by humans , would you not think we would be more wont to consider our differential treatment of all.
    Back to cows are people too ?
    This suffering you speak of ? Dairy farmers aren't really into promoting suffering ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

46 Long wrote: »
    Is there not a dedicated forum where nutritionally deficient malcontents can ramble about this nonsense without subjecting the rest of us to it?

Dont worry , auspicious is there too, gets quite offended when people don't agree with him ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Bred for it , and fed for it too , if cows werent fed through the winter , and pastures weren't managed there'd be plenty of emaciated cattle around ,
    There'd be less calves too , as more would die of starvation or illness if not managed .,.. just kept on farms ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I'm on drugs, genuine thought I was tripping. Read OP about 10 times. I do like milk , drink about a litre a day .

Markcheese wrote: »
    Bred for it , and fed for it too , if cows werent fed through the winter , and pastures weren't managed there'd be plenty of emaciated cattle around ,
    There'd be less calves too , as more would die of starvation or illness if not managed .,.. just kept on farms ...

See my post after that, it's exactly the problem, if one wanted a vegan world, we've bred and built something that isn't compatible and will result in animal suffering were that to change somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Causing unnecessary distress for an uneccessary product is not justifiable. If it is please convince me.

Watch the clip below showing the harvesting of oats. How many umpteen billion spiders, insects, nesting birds and small rodents like mice and rats do you think get crushed and torn to pieces when a fifty tonne combine harvester bears down on them?

You don't need oat milk. It's an unnecessary product. Trust me, I've lived my whole life without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Next thing we'll have a thread telling us not to eat meat.
    Of course no one gives a hoot about the poor vegetable yanked from the nice warm earth which is full of nutrients.

Or the trees chopped down to make room for the vegetables

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Every choice we make has an outcome. It is either positive or negative. Our choices impact the world around us. They can be insignificant or detrimental to another's wellbeing.
    Advertising and societal conditioning can often, all the time, lead us to make choices which blind us to the outcomes. If we don't see the outcomes, the fallout, if we are blind to the negative repercussions, we will usually continue without thinking. Until it is pointed out.
    The maternal bond begins in pregnancy.

-A closed thread in Current Affairs but it is an exquisitely current affair to some mothers.

Apart from the fact that nut milk tastes like shìt, the idea of equating women and children with cows and calves is too ridiculous to be worth entertaining. When was the last time you stood behind a cow in the queue for the bathroom or took a shìt out in the open and strolled on without a care in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Go away with your agenda at this hour on a Sunday, no one has time for that!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Milk is good
    Milk is great
    I surrender myself
    Unto it's fate

Ain't nobody keeping me from my daily milk that's for damn sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

We can digress and debate upon resources and carbon emissions, which by the way are in no way insignificant, it's obvious with today's information, but the fact remains that the mother is very much distressed and suffers as a consequence of the purchase by consumers of a litre of milk in a shop or supermarket etc. when alternatives are available and more than suffice.
    Causing unnecessary distress for an uneccessary product is not justifiable. If it is please convince me.

If you got the chance, would you drink human breast milk from a willing donor who hadn't been distressed while making the donation? Most people agree that babies should be breast-fed as it is healthier, but the idea of an adult human drinking human breast milk is repulsive, more so that drinking milk from an adult cow. That's also more social programming, even though you'd think it'd be natural that human milk would be better for humans. I googled 'human breast milk for sale' and the first hit I got was on adverts.ie where somebody in Tallaght was selling her breast milk. Would you have tried it? :D

Oat 'milk' and nut 'milk' may be nutritional but most of those nutrients are added, so you might as well get smelly-sock-milk and fortify that with vitamins and calcium! I don't drink tea or coffee but I'd imagine that these fake milks make the drink taste different. I've tasted them myself as a drink and wasn't impressed. They were just about acceptable in cereal, with the flavour from the cereals hiding the taste somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Was someone on the radio a good while back saying that she sells her breast milk to body builders or guys who work out serious, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A friend of mine, a dairy farmer, had his mother spend five weeks in hospital after a cow attacked and crushed his mother protecting her newborn calf.

Now that is a very stupid person.

She's a mother to a dairy farmer and did something this stupid.

Fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I never steal milk, I always pay for it at the checkout.

Nut "milk" is watery shíte.

See my post after that, it's exactly the problem, if one wanted a vegan world, we've bred and built something that isn't compatible and will result in animal suffering were that to change somehow.

Fair enough, but , it's your choice ,if you decide to become vegan or whatever , it won't change the world immediately... Even if many many started swapping it would result in a gslow radual reduction in domestic animal numbers .

I'll stick with dairy ..its not all perfect , and could definitely do better , but it's not anywhere near as bad as is portrayed ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

There is no loss of vitamins from abstaining from the cruelty of milk. Calcium is more bioavailable from other food sources.
    A friend of mine, a dairy farmer, had his mother spend five weeks in hospital after a cow attacked and crushed his mother protecting her newborn calf. The bond is strong and begins in pregnancy, as in any mammal.
    They don't deserve the distress. The milk as in any mammal is designed for the baby. No-one else.

Can you explain what the cruelty is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭White Clover

You keep rabbiting on about suffering. If a dairy animal is "suffering", there won't be any milk, they will go dry.
    Can you explain to us then, how we can get all this milk out of "suffering" cows?
    You do claim to be quite the authority on the subject, despite being told ad nauseum that only healthy, content animals will thrive and produce.

Hehe nut milk...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The resources to raise cows both water and food is insane, especially when we are exporting most of it and paying through our hole in carbon tax emissions to support it.
    The water argument doesn't cut it in Ireland maybe in the US where they are draining an aquifer, in case you haven't noticed we have an abundance of water in Ireland that is constantly recycled. As for the food, cows eat lots of grass any supplements from crops is always the by product of the crop that's fed that would otherwise go to waste. Your knowledge of livestock is very limited and all you are doing is believing vegan propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭White Clover

s1ippy wrote: »
    Presumably the best solution then would be to grow predominantly oats instead of keeping grass for cattle, because it's possible to produce milk from oats.

Can you elaborate on this, how are you going to grow a tillage crop successfully in the majority of irish soils?

Using animals to convert grass (carbohydrate that humans can't digest) to high quality protein (that humans can digest) is the most environmentally way of providing this protein.
    Do you understand the damage done to the environment by tilling soils? ........I sincerely doubt it.

This is just another one of "your" threads.
    Lies and disinformation are generally the make up of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement