Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

froog wrote: »
    NPHET aren't some cartoon like sinister supervillian team. they're a bunch of academics and public health experts genuinely doing their best to save lives in a very very difficult situation and against an uncomfortably growing misinformation, conspiracy theory and anti science culture we have inherited from the USA. they get some things wrong, but they are good people doing their best under enormous pressure and they have us in a good position right now. i'd rather be in ireland than any other country in the world dealing with COVID right now and if everyone is being totally honest they'd think the same.

Ahoy captain, deflection over there.

No mention of hundreds of thousands of people forced out of work? Retail and hospitality sectors on their knees? Gross mismanagement of nursing homes and hospitals leading to numerous clusters? I thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

NPHET aren't some cartoon like sinister supervillian team. they're a bunch of academics and public health experts genuinely doing their best to save lives in a very very difficult situation and against an uncomfortably growing misinformation, conspiracy theory and anti science culture we have inherited from the USA. they get some things wrong, but they are good people doing their best under enormous pressure and they have us in a good position right now. i'd rather be in ireland than any other country in the world dealing with COVID right now and if everyone is being totally honest they'd think the same.

You do know nphet is made up largely of members of the HSE, the same HSE who according to people on here are in charge of the most dysfunctional health service in all of Europe despite being well funded, we keep hearing we need the harshest lockdown as we have the worst health system in Europe. So should we trust people that have failed us over and over again blindly or should we question them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭prunudo

Zara King and Matt Cooper doing a great pr job for Nphet on the Tonight show.

Spoken as though Covid is the only issue in society...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Cork2021

No mention of hundreds of thousands of people forced out of work? Retail and hospitality sectors on their knees? Gross mismanagement of nursing homes and hospitals leading to numerous clusters? I thought not.

Exactly. Screw the unemployed and all the businesses that’ll never open again.

It’s all political now and hence the unrest within government over NPHET and other ‘experts’ like mcdonkey who are pulling fear inducing figures from there holes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

nphet have a lock down following the sort that do not go to pubs and are comfortable with the quite life those who dont will party xxxxxxxxxxxxmas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Might be an idea for the mods to open an "I hate NPHET and it's all their fault" Thread, because this thread is just about that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

aziz wrote: »
    fixed that for you
    mcburns07 wrote: »
    Regardless of NPHET's motives, you're naive if you think they aren't influenced heavily by the government and the HSE to message things in whatever way suits them.

niallo27 wrote: »
    You do know nphet is made up largely of members of the HSE, the same HSE who according to people on here are in charge of the most dysfunctional health service in all of Europe despite being well funded, we keep hearing we need the harshest lockdown as we have the worst health system in Europe. So should we trust people that have failed us over and over again blindly or should we question them.
    Spoken as though Covid is the only issue in society...
    Cork2021 wrote: »
    Exactly. Screw the unemployed and all the businesses that’ll never open again.

It’s all political now and hence the unrest within government over NPHET and other ‘experts’ like mcdonkey who are pulling fear inducing figures from there holes!!

i think you're in the wrong thread guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Verona Murphy undermining her argument on Prime Time with the argument that "NPHET predicted x amount of deaths and it didn't happen!!! People don't believe them!"

Why do people fail to understand (or wilfully ignore) the fact that these predictions are based on nothing being done?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Aoife McLysaght is a gowl!! Wants level 5 until we get to single digits and screw the unemployment

She actually said (and I had to rewind back just be sure)
    we will never see our pubs and restaurants open again, if we open retail now

spookwoman wrote: »
    Might be an idea for the mods to open an "I hate NPHET and it's all their fault" Thread, because this thread is just about that now.

Or open up a I love Tony and thou shalt not ever question nphet for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The only thing, though, that is going to get retail and hospitality back on their feet is getting the virus under control.

spookwoman wrote: »

It’s not hating NPHET it’s the way they’re going about this.
    The language they’re using etc. We are adults and will do what is right but they’ll keep harping on about how concerned they are and we need to do better...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mcburns07

What's your problem?

Your some man for deflecting questions, might be a job in the HSE at the end of all this for you.

Arghus wrote: »
    The only thing, though, that is going to get retail and hospitality back on their feet is getting the virus under control.

Hospitality yes obviously but no reason retail can't get back on their feet and keep this virus under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The language they’re using etc. We are adults and will do what is right but they’ll keep harping on about how concerned they are and we need to do better...

How would you prefer them to deliver the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Jesus if Tony sees this he’ll go into hiding!

Not if he reads beyond the headline. The full interview matches his view on vaccine availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Tony’s going to be calling the numbers next week wearing a fur coat,after they gas all the minks he gave the death sentence to.
    Waste not want not and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

...We are adults and will do what is right but they’ll keep harping on about how concerned they are and we need to do better...

Do you really think some of the actions of adults in the past few weeks were the right thing to do? Lord help us if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

What’s the story Bertie.
    Did you back the Percy today in thurles.
    GO ON THE PERCY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Regardless of NPHET's motives, you're naive if you think they aren't influenced heavily by the government and the HSE to message things in whatever way suits them.

C’mon, do you really think any of this suits anyone ? It’s sh1t for everyone, some way more than others but it’s not like it’s contrived. There’s no objectively “fair” way to manage this.

I think everyone is well aware of the hundreds of thousands out of jobs and sympathises massively with them. They should absolutely be given every support possible by government and importantly the banks. Yes, hospitality has taken the brunt but it’s the only way of dealing with this thing because we’d never accept the kind of monitoring they have in the Far East if we went with their models. No one is ordering businesses to shut for sh1ts and giggles. It’s economy Vs health and health is winning, rightly or wrongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Every wonder why there are warning labels on items, like the warning Contents are Hot on the disposable cups you get your coffee or hot drink in or washing liquid pods are not for consumption. Might like common sense but there are plenty of idiots out there in the world that need things spelled out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

marno21 wrote: »
    I am beyond caring about what NPHET are saying or the soul destroying discourse about restrictions and what not.

What I want to hear now is how this country is gearing up for the massive vaccination challenge ahead. The vaccine debate now has to move onto deployment with the positive news from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna this week. It is coming and we need to be ready for it. The general public are sick to shít of this and just want it over. The vaccine will finish this period of ****e off for once and for all.

Getting this right is beyond important. Every day in this mess we have people unemployed, locked in their houses, losing the run of themselves. We will very soon have the weapon to end this, and focus needs to completely switch to how they can to this without ****ing it up. Every day in this purgatory is a step closer to the end but the country can end this quicker by doing this successfully.

There's a lot coming out from countries such as the US and UK about how they will pull this off but unfortunately not too much from Ireland. Which is worrying because a lot of people in the country laugh at those two countries being run by imbeciles but they seem awake and tuned in to the sound of the oncoming vaccine train.

Exactly. The seeds of damage were sown in March, in my opinion unavoidable, but every single day we are in this situation we are causing more damage, as businesses and people are stretched to their limit. There is another side to the coin, whereby the sooner we get out, the quicker our recovery will be.

There’s a tsunami of issues headed towards us from physical and mental health issues, economic issues, we’ll be hearing about it for years to come. Tribunals, scandals, etc, all to look forward to.

While a vaccine won’t eliminate covid instantly, any sort of confidence booster for the public, and business sectors such as retail and travel, will do wonders.

At this point it’s about damage limitation. I understand prudence in talking about or putting an over reliance on vaccines during briefings, but they’d want to be doing some serious planning in the background.

I would hope they will consider, or are considering, support from outside the HSE with regards to innovative planning around vaccine distribution.

Arghus wrote: »
    How would you prefer them to deliver the message?

A positive message? You know something like to boost morale within the country but they don’t seem to be capable of that. I’ll go back to late June when we had 3/4 cases a day and no deaths but they were still very concerned. No wonder people switched off

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The government must be loving that NPHET are taking all the flack for their decisions and their leaks to the press.

Unbelievable how an advisory group are the bad guys.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The government must be loving that NPHET are taking all the flack for their decisions and their leaks to the press.

Unbelievable how an advisory group are the bad guys.

They certainly don’t help themselves going on radio telling people ye are being very bold and lockdown will need to continue. I posted Dr Mary Faviers interview on morning ireland on Tuesday. It was a disgrace the way she spoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭normanoffside

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement