Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭vafankillar

roommate instead of house mate.

so you can't actually tell if the person shares and actual room or not with them specifying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pissed.
    Vacation.
    RV.
    Happy Holidays.
    Fraternities and sororities, wanky US college things.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭vafankillar

". And those who use the term "soccer" to describe a football game should be forced to operate a hotdog stand in an abandoned carpark.

soccer was a british term that was probably used here as well before it was ever used in america and elsewhere. it makes no sense to think it's american really considering it's a shortening of asSOCiation football ( soft to hard C like in clubs & socs), the yanks wouldn't know that. it followed some english slang of the day, in line with calling rugby 'rugger'.

the brits stopped using the word and then all forgot they actually coined it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Its not as bad as using sweets for desert

Or dessert even

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    (it’s short for gasoline)

No kidding. Great when you have an emergency and someone's screaming about a gas leak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Also the way they say Tuesday. The probably right saying Toos/day as opposed to how we say Chews/day but it’s annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

roommate instead of house mate.

so you can't actually tell if the person shares and actual room or not with them specifying

I've also noticed women calling friends that are girls girlfriends, it's hard to know whether they are a gay couple or just friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Ive had to explain "runners".

In the US its sneakers.

And in Britain its either trainers, or plimsoles.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Plimsole does read like it should be correct. But it is plimsoll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Plimsole does read like it should be correct. But it is plimsoll.

Would you believe I googled that before posting and your right, it just didn't look right to me:o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

What are the perfectly good names of things that the Americans have, for some reason, decided to call completely different things that annoy you.

Why pick on Americans?

Have you ever heard the way French, German or Russian people pronounce things the way you don't?

I'm pretty sure it'll do you're head in...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We rely so much on America.

Our culture is basically American, our wealth is from American companies.

American english is superior english anyway so i'm glad it's getting more common in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Wash your mouth out with soap, frog.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The Great Gatsby

What are the perfectly good names of things that the Americans have, for some reason, decided to call completely different things that annoy you.

I'll open the bidding with them calling Fruit & Vegetables Produce (and pronouncing it "pro-juice").

Why would words used by Americans, living in America, presumably speaking to other Americans, annoy someone living in 3000 miles away in another country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

scotchy wrote: »
    Ive had to explain "runners".

In the US its sneakers.

And in Britain its either trainers, or plimsoles.

In Cork it’s “rubber dollies”

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Why would words used by Americans, living in America, presumably speaking to other Americans, annoy someone living in 3000 miles away in another country. .

French and Dutch people live only a few hundred miles away and they use completely different words entirely.

Should we all get upset?

American english is superior english anyway so i'm glad it's getting more common in Ireland :)

Go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Character Building

The use of "ize" rather than "ise". Just annoys me to see organised written as organized

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Americans are managing OK with what we sent over.

soccer was a british term that was probably used here as well before it was ever used in america and elsewhere. it makes no sense to think it's american really considering it's a shortening of asSOCiation football ( soft to hard C like in clubs & socs), the yanks wouldn't know that. it followed some english slang of the day, in line with calling rugby 'rugger'.

the brits stopped using the word and then all forgot they actually coined it lol

I know plenty of Irish people, especially those living outside of Dublin, and also people of a GAA background, who always say "soccer" instead of "football" . . . as do plenty of Canadians, Australians, and New Zealanders (and of course Americans) . . . . no idea why people get bent out of shape because someone says "soccer" instead of "football" . . . some people just want to find something to gripe about, no matter how trivial it might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

440Hertz wrote: »
    In Cork it’s “rubber dollies”

Its tackies or nothin kid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The way they say route annoys the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Its tackies or nothin kid

I haven't heard that in a long, long time. Co. Limerick. Never heard it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I haven't heard that in a long, long time. Co. Limerick. Never heard it anywhere else.

Limerick and India are the only places youll hear that Obi Wan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Any country that has another game called football:

Gaelic Football
    Aussi Rules Football
    American Football

They all tend to use the term soccer.

It’s mostly just the English who get extremely upset about anyone using the term for some weird reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Limerick and India are the only places youll hear that Obi Wan

OK. Yoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

Americans saying Parm a Jzhon ..... meaning Parmesan cheese it’s Parm a SAN ! Not American Incorrect Parm a jzhohn !!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Using pounds to say their weight. 200lb? Is that big?

Using the school grade for the age of a child. How old is he? He's an 8th grader.

I could care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭con___manx1

We rely so much on America.

Our culture is basically American, our wealth is from American companies.

Have you ever been to America? Trump is their president and they can't even spell colour. Our culture is nothing like theres. Irish are a much smarter people that's why all there companies are here 😁

• Advertisement

Fritzbox wrote: »
    French and Dutch people live only a few hundred miles away and they use completely different words entirely.

Should we all get upset?

Evidently some people do!! . . . they get really annoyed and upset because some American says "sidewalk" instead of "footpath" or writes "realize" instead of "realise" . . . and some of them are probably the same people who will binge watch American shows on Netflix during Covid lockdown part 2.

Advertisement