Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Connery RIP

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

RIP to a genuine acting legend

It always bothered me that his experience making that God awful League of Extraordinary Gentlemen caused him to quit acting - but he ended his career on his own terms, fair play to him and I can say with certainty we will never see the likes of Connery again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

RIP to a genuine acting legend

It always bothered me that his experience making that God awful League of Extraordinary Gentlemen caused him to quit acting - but he ended his career on his own terms, fair play to him and I can say with certainty we will never see the likes of Connery again

Yeah, that film was atrocious, I would have quit and preserved my legacy rather than risk another bomb like that. He didn't need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Plode

Only one person has mentioned The Offence.

A powerful performance in a very edgy film for the time.

His best, in my opinion.

RIP, big guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Resht in Peash good Sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

slipperyox wrote: »
    You only live once Mr Bond

Oh yes but diamonds are forever and Connery was a diamond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Not to blow Connery's trumpet too much, but you got the impression that all the other Bond actor's were just that..... actors playing a role. They weren't especially ruthless or tough and certainly wouldn't last pissing time if they were put in a difficult situation in real life.

Connery innately had a lot of the Bond traits. I'd say he was one tough fúcker in every respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Not to blow Connery's trumpet too much, but you got the impression that all the other Bond actor's were just that..... actors playing a role. They weren't especially ruthless or tough and certainly wouldn't last pissing time if they were put in a difficult situation in real life.

Connery innately had a lot of the Bond traits. I'd say he was one tough fúcker in every respect.

Connery as Bond was a class act, but to be honest I think Craig shades him with the coldness he brings to the role which I feel is more in keeping with the person Fleming was writing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Connery as Bond was a class act, but to be honest I think Craig shades him with the coldness he brings to the role which I feel is more in keeping with the person Fleming was writing about.

Craig's Bond is probably closer to the books but there was a bit of Jason Bournification going on in the mid 2000's and the new seriousness was probably more to do with cashing in on that, than anything else.

Craig's portrayal is second to Connery imo. The vast majority of Bond's success is down to the films and it was Connery who started the ball rolling with the quips, one liners, campy super villains, Bond girls and all the other tropes we know so well. There was a cheeky wink with Connery's Bond that the modern version lacks. Of course, we live in a very different world 60 years on and that character will not be making a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I love The Hunt for Red October so much, it's so underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

how is it underrated? still very rewatcable

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭souter

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A brilliant movie, and certainly my favourite in the Jack Ryan series...
    I'll always watch it if it's on, and will often put it on for a watch anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

His ever presence since I was a child was always in some way comforting to me. He was only playing golf in August apparently so I think he just went downhill the last few months. It's funny really but I am genuinely upset that he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Clint Eastwood is another great actor who's knocking on a bit, must also be in his 90s ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A brilliant movie, and certainly my favourite in the Jack Ryan series...
    I'll always watch it if it's on, and will often put it on for a watch anyway!!

The scenes inside the Russian sub are almost Kubrick-esque.

It also has the political component that is a theme in US movies about the Cold War in that the Russians were often portrayed as being secretly ahead of the US military technologically, we see this in 'Firefox' with Clint Eastwood some years earlier.

The CIA apparently liked to talk up the USSR's technological prowess to keep the Department of Defence's (DoD) budgets healthy.

Also, movies that played the US in a positive light got a lot of help from the USDoD, Crimson Tide, for example got no assistance while THFR October got loads.

I could go on but I'll stop now. :)

Advertisement