Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Connery RIP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

Jane is not happy
    http://ibb.co/pr1N7W0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

joe40 wrote: »
    I like Sean Connery as an actor, but that was a despicable comment. No adult should slap another to settle an argument.
    He had brilliant on screen presence and charisma, and seemed to portray the same in real life.

Ah, sure... but it's just differences of opinion really isn't it?

Just like some people think it's appropriate to give your kids a slap when they're acting the maggot... other people think it's wrong.

Same with relations between couples. There's no one correct way of doing things... each to their own really.

Like I said, there is a big difference between a light slap and an actual attempt to hurt someone. And I think Connery was very clearly describing the former with his comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

you're not fit to be a non-talking extra walking past his farts in a movie.
    lol... I obviously don't hold actors in such high esteem as you do either!!

The man openly and proudly condoned domestic abuse and violence towards women. In my book that makes him a dick!

This has also been spoken of in several of the TV news obituaries today including Channel4 and SKY so I'm not alone.

I don't rejoice in his passing but he wasn't a good person IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dognapper

What’s with the idolisation of woman beating scumbags ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Scotty # wrote: »
    lol... I obviously don't hold actors in such high esteem as you do either!!

The man openly and proudly condoned domestic abuse and violence towards women. In my book that makes him a dick!

This has also been spoken of in several of the TV news obituaries today including Channel4 and SKY so I'm not alone.

I don't rejoice in his passing but he wasn't a good person IMO.

His last wife was married to him for 45 years. I doubt she would have stayed with him so long if he perpetrated domestic violence. Condoning something and doing it are two entirely different things.

You are right, he wasn't a good person, he was outstandingly awesome.

This is a churlish and unsavoury topic to bring up at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

We're all human, with our faults.
    But your comment just seems pathetically petty to post, you're not fit to be a non-talking extra walking past his farts in a movie.

Whah?

wow... talk about hyperbolic nonsense! lol

He definitely was not condoning violence towards women. He was very clearly describing a light slap when someone is acting hysterical.

The same as you would with a young child acting up, or perhaps a dog misbehaving etc.

Nothing in what he said, suggested actual violence. This is just the perpetually offended types, who always like to blow everything completely out of proportion.

I'm sure if Connery was an abusive partner, it would have been well publicised in the media. He had plenty of relationships, and I've never heard a single story about him being that type of person.

He seemed like a cool guy, on and off screen... perhaps some people are just a bit jealous of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

bnt wrote: »
    Dr. No director Terence Young once said: "there are only two great stars in my recollection who have not been changed by great massive success: Sean Connery and Lassie, and both of them Scottish."

In her book Audrey Hepburn tells of Terence Young sending her that via telegram when she was Honorary Chairperson of the American Cinematheque's tribute to Sean Connery.

Also, Audrey says, like every actress in the World at that time, she wished to play alongside Sean Connery. She describes him as "marvelous looking" with "superb acting" and "wildly sexy". She is quite amusing when she tells of how her wish finally came true when they were cast together (Robin and Marian) and how typical she was cast as a Nun! However, she goes on to say that when Robin returned from the crusades, her Nun's veil managed to slip away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

wow... talk about hyperbolic nonsense! lol

He definitely was not condoning violence towards women. He was very clearly describing a light slap when someone is acting hysterical.

The same as you would with a young child acting up, or perhaps a dog misbehaving etc.

Nothing in what he said, suggested actual violence. This is just the perpetually offended types, who always like to blow everything completely out of proportion.

I'm sure if Connery was an abusive partner, it would have been well publicised in the media. He had plenty of relationships, and I've never heard a single story about him being that type of person.

He seemed like a cool guy, on and off screen... perhaps some people are just a bit jealous of the man.
    It's OK to slap your wife, like you would a dog misbehaving. WOW... just WOW!!!

It's OK to slap your wife, like you would a dog misbehaving. WOW... just WOW!!!

Yes, just like you would give a young child a light slap if they were misbehaving too.

Nothing violent about it.

You are attempting to equate a slap with actual violence. But they are not the same thing.

I got plenty of slaps as a child when I did something wrong. I was never physically injured by them... and it did me no harm whatsoever!

Like I said, complete hyperbolic overblown nonsense from the usual drama queens in society. Always looking for something to be offended by. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Yes, just like you would give a young child a light slap if they were misbehaving too.

You are attempting to equate a slap with actual violence. But they are not the same thing.

I got plenty of slaps as a child when I did something wrong. I was never physically injured by them... and it did me no harm whatsoever!

Like I said, complete hyperbolic overblown nonsense from the usual drama queens in society. Always looking for something to be offended by. :rolleyes:

So, if I thought you were misbehaving, it would be OK for me, out of the blue, to give you a small slap in the face?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Have you been slapped as an adult? How do you think you would respond to a slap?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I think we are getting off topic completely here folks. If you want to discuss slapping being Ok VS not Ok feel free to start a thread on it but it doesn't really have any place in an RIP thread.

Thanks.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    So, if I thought you were misbehaving, it would be OK for me, out of the blue, to give you a small slap in the face?

If you were my spouse or gf... yes.

But each to their own. I'm not telling anyone how to live their life.

If that's not your style, then it's not for you.

Trying to equate a light slap, with actual violence or serious physical spousal abuse... is just foolishness. They're not the same thing.

The same people who overreact to something like this, would probably be on the phone to the child protective services when they see a parent giving a child a light slap... like I said, complete drama queens that like to blow everything out of proportion.

Sorry Necro - only seen your comment after posting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Another good one was The Name Of The Rose.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People not so much.

Then again he used his entire $1.2 million fee for Diamonds are Forever, his sixth Bond film, to establish the Scottish International Education Trust :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

90 is a good age but it's still sad to see the star of some of my favourite films gone.
    Such a shame he never got to see his dream of an independent Scotland realised.

RIP Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Connery was offered a contract to play for Man United by Sir Matt Busby in the early 50s but turned it down to concentrate on his acting.
    Huge United fan but glad he did. Couldn't imagine anyone else in the role of 1960s 007.
    RIP Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Connery was offered a contract to play for Man United by Sir Matt Busby in the early 50s but turned it down to concentrate on his acting.
    Huge United fan but glad he did. Couldn't imagine anyone else in the role of 1960s 007.
    RIP Sean

Yes I mentioned it briefly in a post earlier of how skillful a soccer player he was. Yes, Busby realised the talent of Connery. As Connery said himself he knew soccer would only be a very short career and said turning down Busby was one of the best decisions he ever made.

RIP Sean

He had a chance with Jock Stein's Celtic too.

Could have been part of the Lisbon Lions team... but like you say, he made the better choice. He lived an incredible life.

Then wound up supporting the blue half of Glasgow later in life - but I've forgiven him for that mistake. :p

I think he was a bodybuilder and model early on as well. Crazy how much you can fit into one life.

And the son of an Irish traveller. (sorry if that's another black mark against his name for some:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

can't believe he was 90, simply one of the best ever, legend is an understatement

nobody has posted this yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Another good one was The Name Of The Rose.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People not so much.

Then again he used his entire $1.2 million fee for Diamonds are Forever, his sixth Bond film, to establish the Scottish International Education Trust :cool:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rising Sun. I thought that to be one of the highlights of his performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rising Sun. I thought that to be one of the highlights of his performances.

You must be joking? It was a completely average film and clearly imo just a pay check for Mr. Connery. Anyway....

RIP 007

Mission accomplished.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Connery, Sean Connery.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This knocked me for six when I heard this morning, really hit me , didn't expect it... sad news

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It was something I'd been expecting for a while, but it's still sad when the day arrives. Terrific actor, The Untouchables was my highlight of his career. He was in a lot of great movies. If I was to pick a lesser known one, I would choose Finding Forrester. RIP Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

People should watch The Hill. A unjustly forgotten movie he starred in. Brilliant stuff and Connery is fantastic in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes I mentioned it briefly in a post earlier of how skillful a soccer player he was. Yes, Busby realised the talent of Connery. As Connery said himself he knew soccer would only be a very short career and said turning down Busby was one of the best decisions he ever made.

Yes and football rarely made anyone wealthy back then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He had a chance with Jock Stein's Celtic too.

Could have been part of the Lisbon Lions team... but like you say, he made the better choice. He lived an incredible life.

Then wound up supporting the blue half of Glasgow later in life - but I've forgiven him for that mistake. :p

I think he was a bodybuilder and model early on as well. Crazy how much you can fit into one life.

And the son of an Irish traveller. (sorry if that's another black mark against his name for some:D)

He was of mixed parentage ( Catholic and Protestant) but it's slightly odd that despite being a Scottish independence advocate, supported Rangers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Puts all of our mortalities into question doesn't it.

Sean Connery, dead. damn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wow, what a scumbag. That's tonight's movie plans changed

Advertisement