Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Connery RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

You only live once!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Dishes.

Dishes who?

Dishes the gosht of Sean Connery.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A giant of an actor, an old school man, the first - and the best and definitive Bond.

Sean Connery was very anxious in the 1970s and 80s to be seen as more than just the first James Bond and played a variety of roles - his part in The Untouchables (1987) was a deserved Oscar win and he was superb in The Name of The Rose.

One part he played - as a likeable rogue in the very underrated The Anderson Tapes (1971), was excellent. Very underrated film that featured a then unknown 27 year old Christopher Walken in his first big film part. He made a few complete turkeys, too - Zardoz (1973) a sci-fi film shot in County Wicklow - is best forgotten.

By the 1990s Connery had nothing left to prove but still picked out interesting roles - 1999’s Entrapment with Catherine Zeta-Jones for instance.

A patriotic Scotsman, an intelligent person and he oozed sex appeal. :D Yes he was rather sexist at times, but you have to remember he was born in 1930 and came of age in the late 1940s/early 50s - a completely different world to today.

Yes, Mr Connery will be missed. 90 is very good innings and I have a feeling it was a very full life with lots of fun and adventure.

This knocked me for six when I heard this morning, really hit me , didn't expect it... sad news

RIP

He was 90 years of age though. As legendary as the man was he wasn't going to love forever.

Rest in Peace Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Wow, what a scumbag. That's tonight's movie plans changed

:rolleyes:

Tonight's movie plans changed, and more importantly, today's 'virtue signal' transmitted.

Your day is done !

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Nice parody of OTT virtue-signaling SJW reaction there, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

He could have slapped me in the face too, as someone else has said, and seemed to relish the thought of...

His 007 slap at 90 would probably have been pretty limp.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

:rolleyes:

Tonight's movie plans changed, and more importantly, today's 'virtue signal' transmitted.

Your day is done !

I'm pretty sure being called an sjw by the kind of 'people' who think slapping a woman is in order when she's getting a bit uppity, is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

He just oozed charisma. So ridiculously handsome too. A true movie icon. I always loved him and this is really sad news, but he did live one hell of a life. The man who would be king. Thanks for the memories Sean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's 'Sir' scumbag, to you.

cnocbui wrote: »
    That's 'Sir' scumbag, to you.

Eugh, and I thought he was in favour of Scots independence and all

I'm pretty sure being called an sjw by the kind of 'people' who think slapping a woman is in order when she's getting a bit uppity, is a good thing

You just had to double down.

Highlighting your risible gesture has nothing to do with 'people' and their concordance with a dead film star's opinion about anything, good, bad or indifferent.

Watch his movies, or don't watch them. Whatever.

Your announcement got the derision it deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You are such a virtue signaller FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

one ping only

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BBC played a tribute to Connery recorded in 2003 made up of old interviews and 'recent ' 2003 ones. The guy had his faults but his charisma and screen presence were a good balance. I already made a comment about him today but I realise now how big a talent we have lost despite him retiring almost 20 years ago.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Man born before WW2 having old fashioned attitudes shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

RIP Sean Connery, have always liked his films. I remember one in particular I watched with my brother a few years ago from 1973 called The Offence. This would've been one of his lesser known films, but he plays a police officer tasked with interviewing a suspected murderer and child molester played by the brilliant Ian Bannen who you might remember as Robert the Bruce's father in Braveheart. Its such an intense film worth checking out, Connery's performance is extraordinary.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070468/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Man born before WW2 having old fashioned attitudes shocker.

Plenty of people born before WW2 would think it wrong to hit a woman, for any reason; with open palm or clenched fist.
    Full stop.

Q. Was he the best James Bond ever?
    A. Yes

Q.Did he have on-screen charisma by the bucket load, and was he a handsome devil?
    A. Yes and Yes.

You are such a virtue signaller FFS

If that bothers you more than someone saying hitting women is deserved, then you need to take a good long look at yourself, FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

One of my favourite actors, I especially loved his performance in the Untouchables. RIP.

One of my favourite actors, I especially loved his performance in the Untouchables. RIP.

His Irish accent was a bit wibbly-wobbly though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Less sniping please, this is an RIP thread, not for debate of misogyny/virtue signally/whatever in general

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

COVID wrote: »
    Plenty of people born before WW2 would think it wrong to hit a woman, for any reason; with open palm or clenched fist.
    Full stop.

Plenty people didn't too.

Up until fairly recently we were a benighted little island and what you did with your wife and family behind closed doors was your own business. Your own relatives probably saw no problem with it.

Uncomfortable reading but there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

If that bothers you more than someone saying hitting women is deserved, then you need to take a good long look at yourself, FFS

I see the word 'context' flies over your head and you mod history!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

He is in that category of actors with Anthony Hopkins or Richard Harris who for lack of a palette of accents are great players nonetheless. In contrast, Daniel Day Lewis and Gary Oldman are much more versatile in playing multiple vernaculars.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I wouldn't normally approve of men slapping women but after reading your posts on the matter I'm starting to think he may have had a point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I warned about sniping etc

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

True. However I don't judge actors by their ability to do a good accent. That's basically mimicking and requires no emotion. I might notice it at first. But if the performance is real and believable then the quality of the accent is forgotten as you are drawn into the performance and the story. That's how I feel at any rate.

I loved his performance in the Untouchables. A great movie overall.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

You only live once Mr Bond

Advertisement