Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Connery RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not just the greatest bond

The greatest man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Here endeth the lesson.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Scotty # wrote: »

Rather than say rest in peace or anything of that nature you post that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Imagine how classless and pathetic it is to attack someones character on the day they die.

Here he is speaking about what you're referring to righting his wrong.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/connery-to-hit-a-woman-is-wrong-nncwmzv0rk0

Agreed. It would take a real lowdown w@nkstain of a post to bring something like that up literally hours after a legend had passed.
    Then again "There can be only one".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Connery is a legend. He oozed confidence, charisma, and magnetism in the megawatt range. His screen presence was so immense that he could play loads of roles as a charming handsome Scotsman and you were just drawn into the story anyway. The number of actors who could or can do this is vanishingly small.

Looking back at the Bond movies I always loved the way he moved around the screen. He was like a big cat prowling around. The contrast with subsequent Bonds is very stark when you notice it even on this small element. I think Daniel Craig has mentioned consciously trying to emulate this kind of movement.

A true star. RIP Big Tam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

I remember my father taking me to 'the pictures' to see Dr. No. Sean Connery had something I didn't understand or know at the time. Charisma and Cool, he oozed it throughout his career.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

All this film talk and his most iconic role completely forgotten:

hqdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

kowloon wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg

Scottish Borat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

OldRio wrote: »
    I remember my father taking me to 'the pictures' to see Dr. No. Sean Connery had something I didn't understand or know at the time. Charisma and Cool, he oozed it throughout his career.
    RIP

That's class got you got to see Dr. No in the cinema :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP, he was the best of the Bond actors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

kowloon wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg

Jaysus... Haha.

What movie is that from again?
    Iirc something about water being the number one thing humans are after or something like that.. some sci fi. I'm too lazy to Google haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

RIP Sean.

I was 11 years old when I saw Dr No in 1964

• Registered Users Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Jaysus... Haha.

What movie is that from again?
    Iirc something about water being the number one thing humans are after or something like that.. some sci fi. I'm too lazy to Google haha.

https://twitter.com/keatonkildebell/status/1322539152437661697

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

A great actor who lived an interesting life. Had is a house/ holiday home in Wicklow ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Zardoz would have been avant-garde and cool at the time. Mightn't of aged too well. It was perfect for Connery who wanted to escape being typecast from the Bond films.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

A great actor who lived an interesting life. Had is a house/ holiday home in Wicklow ?

He had a home in Bray in the 70s

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/sean-connery-irish-home

Zardoz was shot in Wicklow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Sad to hear today of the passing of the global legendary actor Sean Connery (Big Tam).

Of course he will always be famous for being the first Bond (and personally my favourite Bond actor). However, as an actor he applied incredible versatility and proved he could really play any role with such great adeptness and finesse.

Reading about his formative years: his early school leaving; his time spent in The Navy ; the various jobs he had as a young man and his ability as a soccer player before he stumbled upon acting as an extra is fascinating.

Connery, as a man, simply oozed charisma.

Such a proud yet humble Scotsman. He was well known for his support and advocacy for an independent Scotland and has said everything he has done has been for her (Scotland).

“I’ve always been hopeful about Scotland’s prospects. And I now believe more than ever that Scotland is within touching distance of achieving independence and equality".

“Scotland should be nothing less than equal with all the other nations of the world.”

You've had a great innings Big Tam and thank you so much for providing us with incredible entertainment throughout the decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

He has a valid point in fairness...

It's worth noting, that he was not talking about actually hitting women. He was talking about giving a light slap when they are out of control or being hysterical.

I would condone a light slap for either gender in those circumstances. Plenty of children got a slap or two growing up, and it didn't do them any harm at all.

There is a big difference between giving someone a light slap, and actually hitting someone with the intent of doing some significant physical damage. I do not of course, condone the latter in any shape or form.

A man should know his own strength, and never use it to harm anyone who is unable to to fight back.

I think Sean Connery always seemed like a calm and reasonable guy. I would be very surprised if he ever physically harmed any of the women in his life. I certainly never heard any stories suggesting it - and he was very popular with ladies lets be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Great Bond ... and definitely the best in my opinion. So many great appearances on film, from The to The man who would be king to Goldfinger from Robin Hood to Highlander, to playing the part of a Soviet submarine Captain (and always with a lovely Scottish accent) :)

Great presence on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's worth noting, that he was not talking about actually hitting women. He was talking about giving a light slap when they are out of control or being hysterical.

I would condone a light slap for either gender in those circumstances. Plenty of children got a slap or two growing up, and it didn't do them any harm at all.

There is a big difference between giving someone a light slap, and actually hitting someone with the intent of doing some significant physical damage. I do not of course, condone the latter in any shape or form.

A man should know his own strength, and never use it to harm anyone who is unable to to fight back.

I think Sean Connery always seemed like a calm and reasonable guy. I would be very surprised if he ever physically harmed any of the women in his life. I certainly never heard any stories suggesting it - and he was very popular with ladies lets be honest.

There is no need for this conversation at this point in time. Perhaps consider parking it somewhere moist and dark until a more appropriate time and venue presents itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

waiting for the edgy contrarian article focused solely on his ''problematic legacy full of microaggressions'' stemming from his slapping women comment, and rabid feminists willing him to rot in hell.

(not an endorsement of slapping women, just a comment on the predictable media/social media cycle when it comes to these things)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've only ever had two " man crushes "

One was James Gandolfini, the other was Sean Connery

cnocbui wrote: »
    There is no need for this conversation at this point in time. Perhaps consider parking it somewhere moist and dark until a more appropriate time and venue presents itself.

What conversation? Just giving my opinion.

If it's of no interest to you, then move along and discuss other aspects of the man's life. (He had many)

You wouldn't want to get yourself into a discussion, where you are lacking in requisite knowledge on said topic. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Dr. No director Terence Young once said: "there are only two great stars in my recollection who have not been changed by great massive success: Sean Connery and Lassie, and both of them Scottish."

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Seemed like a legit tough guy who would have handed most of us our arses in a fight in his young days.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Sad news. Another great dead from the old skool era of everything.
    He retired at an appropriate age too, didn't drag on and on. What a massive amount of work he has left behind too.

Ah well, we will remember him and move on with our own scripts I suppose.

Things were quite conservative back when he was starring in those Bond movies... but even by today's standards, imagine naming one of your characters "Pussy Galore"! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I like Sean Connery as an actor, but that was a despicable comment. No adult should slap another to settle an argument.
    He had brilliant on screen presence and charisma, and seemed to portray the same in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Resht in peash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

He wasn't all good...

We're all human, with our faults.
    But your comment just seems pathetically petty to post, you're not fit to be a non-talking extra walking past his farts in a movie.

Advertisement