Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

smurgen wrote: »
    Can't be arsed so posts nonsense :D
    Yep, better to save your energy for the parts that actually make any sort of believable claim, instead of just spouting utter bollocks.
    I remember in the mid 00s people saying what a stand up guy Bertie was and we know how that ended.

I don't understand why anyone would immediately jump to the defence of a politician when none of us know what happens behind the scenes.
    The difference is that today, ordinary and rational people can say to themselves "their opinion is so twisted that there is a likelihood that they are a paid government shill."

It's not normal to leap to the defence of a clearly corrupt and amoral person in this manner, so it's healthy to ask why "so many" would.

Occams razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-imo-village-magazine-5250661-Oct2020/%3famp=1

Varadkar acknowledeges sharing GP agreement...the sharing of this broke the state secrets act??

Can you point out which section of the Official Secrets Act you claim Leo has admitted to breaching? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭joemurt

On the point/spin - the contract was already in the public domain as proven by x, y and z referencing it;

Has it been established how x, y and z got access to their copy of the contract?

ie could it have been the same copy O tuathuil was provided with by Varadkar and shared through his message group?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

It doesn't really matter what your arsed with though, this story has legs, of course SF and other party supporters are happy about this, it damages FF if they don't do anything about it and it damages FG if they pull the plug on the coalition on this issue.
    It's a win win.

If you think something that benfits Sinn Fein is a "win win" you are deluded ( unless you are one of their "community activist". You may get your wish though given the Trump/ Boriis /Erdogan international atmosphere. I expect you will be looking back fondly at this pretend "scandal" as you stand in line at Immigration Control. A win win indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Have you not been paying attention, from RTE yesterday

Mr Varadkar admitted providing an agreement reached with the IMO through what he termed an informal communication channel to a rival group was not best practice.

The statement says the then taoiseach did provide a copy of the agreement to Dr Ó Tuathail on a date between 11 and 16 April, 2019.

I asked you did he use the words you said he did
    He didn't
    We do not know that what he did was illegal which is what you implied
    Without evidence you're at nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Abandoned ship.

As in he and his party accepted the electorates decision.

What was he thinking, so undemocratic of him.

Delusional response, have you actually been paying attention to Leo's nonsense over the past few months? Breathtaking arrogance, Solo Runs, Undermining every decision made (all of which he signed off on), he had 2 choices, stay on as Taoiseach and see through the decisions he made (Remember, the easy one's) or 2 call an election (Michael Martin would have little choice but to take the number 2 position), and I don't mean in the Bog.

Leo played a blinder, fecked off leaving others hold the can and didn't have the decency to at least be helpful or at least supportive, instead he stirred a bucket of S€&t at every turn. Disgusting behaviour with the country in crisis.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Can you point out which section of the Official Secrets Act you claim Leo has admitted to breaching? Thanks

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/act/1/section/5/enacted/en/html#sec5

Also breached section 7 criminal offences act 2018

Like he's been caught lad,its really as simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

I remember in the mid 00s people saying what a stand up guy Bertie was and we know how that ended.

I don't understand why anyone would immediately jump to the defence of a politician when none of us know what happens behind the scenes.

Haughy's bag man? No-one ever thought Berties was anything more than he turned out to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-imo-village-magazine-5250661-Oct2020/%3famp=1

Varadkar acknowledeges sharing GP agreement...the sharing of this broke the state secrets act??

Like varadkar deosnt even agree with your defence of him :pac:
    Where does Vradakar acknowledge he broke the official secrets act?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

If the Bowes lad had the document before everybody else he has time to read it and find ways to make his union sound more organised and knowledgeable than other parties involved.

It may help him grow his membership.

I think next week the village may be getting visits from people who lost out on DP contracts because they didnt understand the bag of cash emoji. These things slowly unravel.

• Advertisement

So basically your argument is that the Taoiseach didn't get permission from Simon Harris?

I will ask once more and leave it there. Where in Leo's statement did he admit to breaking to Official Secrets Act? I have read it and he doesn't. I must be missing a page of it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Section 7? Have you a link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Also between going to bed last night and waking up this morning this thread has 20 pages, many are the same unknown and newly registered people demanding regular posters come up with the line in the law that Leo has broken etc. As if we're all legal experts who have studied extensively for this moment and are qualified to engage at that level.

The Week in Politics is taking a "planned" Halloween break this week?

Scarcely a mention about this entire thing on RTÉ even though Irish twitter is ALIGHT with discourse. Seems like an important story to overlook.

Leo always reminded me of a benign dictator figure but this week, it's apparent that there's something much more sinister than that afoot. As well as toppling him from his position, the state will be required to engage in legal action taken against him. In a democracy, it is not feasible for an individual to continue to hold the position of second-in-command after demonstrating the level of corruption and callousness that those leaks showed. It is not possible for him to continue and the fact that his resignation has not been forthcoming shows that he will be brazen and fight this.

But nobody will be in his corner for this one. Public opinion of him is zero, he has no credibility, his reputation is ruined and he's a criminal. He has to fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭tigger123

joemurt wrote: »
    WOW and I thought you wanted to be helpful with your friendly advice to a newcomer.

Not nice at all. And an insult. But I suppose, just like the Blanch account, now you don't have to address the group messages I highlighted. Good for you.

Have a great day too. Kisses.

Have the Garda made a statement yet anyone know? This is a criminal matter.

You should call your local Garda station yourself to report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Looks like the Village are done here, unless Paddy Cosgrave is going to fund a legal defence.

A defamatory attempt to down a Tánaiste for trying to seal a deal on a government policy...in the midst of a national emergency/ pandemic.

A new low.

The best part of it all is the general public do not give a flying feck about this

You have Paddy Cosgrave and his pals in the Village peddling this as some massive scoop

Pathetic.

defamatory
    /dɪˈfamət(ə)ri/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    (of remarks, writing, etc.) damaging the good reputation of someone; slanderous or libellous.
    "a defamatory allegation"

Leo has admitted that he did what the Village reported. You can’t defame someone with the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think Leo's hull is holed below the waterline. Loose lips have sunk his particular ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

It was all so public that on 17/04 GP's were wondering where the contract documents were. Any politician defending a leak of confidential legal document isn't fit for government it's that simple. It is a black and white matter. The reason? Because contracts and legal agreements are subject to change until they're signed by all parties involved. The devil is in the detail. And if this wasn't the case here how come Leo wrote subject to amendments/changes on the covert of the documents he delivered to his friend?

https://twitter.com/andyjjordan1/status/1118604334688866304?s=19

Journal Timeline
    https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-gp-contract-nagp-scandal-5250914-Oct2020/?utm_source=shortlink

Friday, 5 April
    IMO issued a press release which announced details of the negotiated agreement

Note: https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1322684470181404672?s=19

Saturday, 6 April
    The above-mentioned statement was issued by government with Varadkar and Harris welcoming the agreement with the IMO. The release did not contain much granular detail about what the draft contract contained.

Between 11-16 April 2019
    The then-Taoiseach provided a copy of the full agreement to Dr Maitiu Ó Tuathail, president of the NAGP

16 April 2019
    In Dail Stephen Donnelly says The outline of the deal was agreed about two weeks ago. The GPs have not seen it, the public have not seen it, and we have not seen it.

17 May 2019.
    The Department of Health published the entire text of the IMO deal.

I think articles 4-5 of the Official Secrets Act are relevant to Varadkar and 6 is relevant to O Tuathaill as he received the Doc.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/act/1/enacted/en/print.html

From this morning's Indo.
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tanaiste-leo-varadkar-under-fire-over-imo-pay-leak-39692220.html
    It is also understood then health minister, Simon Harris,was not aware the document was sent to Dr Ó Tuathail.

One thing I can't understand is what Leo thought this would accomplish? Did he not know of the NAGP's precarious position given it folded shortly afterwards? Was O Tuathaill not keeping him informed of problems at the NAGP?

O Tuathaill does seem an opportunist going by his posts about the potential for profit from Direct Provision and it's possible he was using Varadkar without keeping him informed of the NAGPs problems.

He admitted to giving the contract??

This breaches above laws....quite why your unable to match above points is your own issue,but your defending wrong doing,that varadkar has admitted to :pac:

Still not one single senior FG or FF/green member has come out to back him

Why are you ignoring my very simple question?

I'll ask you a different question. Have you read those Acts you are quoting and claiming he breached, or are you just using the trusted sources of Village Magazine and Twitter?

stayback wrote: »
    Can you explain to me the relevance of getting elected on the 5th count thanks

It highlights the fact that Varadkar received sufficient amount of votes to reach the quota to be elected............as apposed to Simon Harris who didn't reach the quota I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

s1ippy wrote: »
    Also between going to bed last night and waking up this morning this thread has 20 pages, many are the same unknown and newly registered people demanding regular posters come up with the line in the law that Leo has broken etc. As if we're all legal experts who have studied extensively for this moment and are qualified to engage at that level.

The Week in Politics is taking a "planned" Halloween break this week?

Scarcely a mention about this entire thing on RTÉ even though Irish twitter is ALIGHT with discourse. Seems like an important story to overlook.

Leo always reminded me of a benign dictator figure but this week, it's apparent that there's something much more sinister than that afoot. As well as toppling him from his position, the state will be required to engage in legal action taken against him. In a democracy, it is not feasible for an individual to continue to hold the position of second-in-command after demonstrating the level of corruption and callousness that those leaks showed. It is not possible for him to continue and the fact that his resignation has not been forthcoming shows that he will be brazen and fight this.

But nobody will be in his corner for this one. Public opinion of him is zero, he has no credibility, his reputation is ruined and he's a criminal. He has to fold.

I asked several yesterday before Leo's statement if it would be acceptable to them if the allegations were true. None replied. Couldn't make up their mind whether that would acceptable or not. Now the same lads are telling us it's not illegal. Wilfully ignoring that the burden of proof has shifted in light of Varadkar's admission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Something can be both verified and defamatory.

For example, somebody could say that Mr McMurphy was seen running away from a playground with a scared looking child and has not been seen since.

McMurphy could verify the story that he did indeed run away from the playground with a child, but that the child was his son and he was running to get out of the rain.

Neither of the above is defamatory hahaha

tigger123 wrote: »
    You should call your local Garda station yourself to report it.

Don't have a phone buddy. Would you help out and make the call?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Journal Timeline
    https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-gp-contract-nagp-scandal-5250914-Oct2020/?utm_source=shortlink

Friday, 5 April
    IMO issued a press release which announced details of the negotiated agreement

Note: https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1322684470181404672?s=19

Saturday, 6 April
    The above-mentioned statement was issued by government with Varadkar and Harris welcoming the agreement with the IMO. The release did not contain much granular detail about what the draft contract contained.

Between 11-16 April 2019
    The then-Taoiseach provided a copy of the full agreement to Dr Maitiu Ó Tuathail, president of the NAGP

16 April 2019
    In Dail Stephen Donnelly says The outline of the deal was agreed about two weeks ago. The GPs have not seen it, the public have not seen it, and we have not seen it.

17 May 2019.
    The Department of Health published the entire text of the IMO deal.

I think articles 4-7 of the Official Secrets Act are relevant to Varadkar.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/act/1/enacted/en/print.html

From this morning's Indo.
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tanaiste-leo-varadkar-under-fire-over-imo-pay-leak-39692220.html
    It is also understood then health minister, Simon Harris,was not aware the document was sent to Dr Ó Tuathail.

One thing I can't understand is what Leo thought this would accomplish? Did he not know of the NAGP's precarious position given it folded shortly afterwards? Was O Tuathaill not keeping him informed of problems at the NAGP?

O Tuathaill does seem an opportunist going by his posts about the potential for profit from Direct Provision and it's possible he was using Varadkar without keeping him informed of the NAGPs problems.

The DP comment needs clarification also. Was he in receipt of confidential not for circulation documents there also?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Homophobia is alive and well I see. Leave Leo alone, it was only an oversight ok. This is a grubby, heinous plan hatched by that semi-coherent Cork bog plugger Martin in conjunction jealous reprobates on the FG back bench, and Christian far right groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He can instruct The Village in the art of claiming free legal aid.

Why would they need free legal aid?

Will he bring a defamation case against them for reporting the truth:rolleyes:

Neither of the above is defamatory hahaha

I was just about to point that out. There was no defamation in the example he provided. :pac:

No wonder he can't wrap his head around why Varadkar has done something criminal here.

Mate i literally provided yous the acts...

Like your free to claim.hamding out confidemtial unpublished documents isnt breaching them(which is admitted to)....its no skin off my nose either way,but noone else is buying it,and its time for a proper inquiry

Ok, you can't answer it then. That's all you had to say.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Homophobia is alive and well I see. Leave Leo alone, it was only an oversight ok. This is a grubby, heinous plan hatched by that semi-coherent Cork bog plugger Martin in conjunction jealous reprobates on the FG back bench, and Christian far right groups.

Did you run out of tin-foil?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

The DP comment needs clarification also. Was he in receipt of confidential not for circulation documents there also?

A document marked classified, when opened it reads

I dont give a **** about refugees thats charlies baby.

• Advertisement

joemurt wrote: »
    I was just about to point that out. There was no defamation in the example he provided. :pac:

No wonder he can't wrap his head around why Varadkar has done something criminal here.

Well if you set out which part of Irish law he breached, and why, I am all ears joe. Nobody has managed it here yet. Want to give it a try?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement