Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Not one bit surprised that Leo is the most popular of the leaders. Not much competition to be fair. This #Leotheleak stuff is really just confined to a select pool of zombies on twitter.

This place is infested with them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,321 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not one bit surprised that Leo is the most popular of the leaders. Not much competition to be fair. This #Leotheleak stuff is really just confined to a select pool of zombies on twitter.
    This place is infested with them too.

The Tanaiste and former Taoiseach of the country was questioned for several hours by the Gardai and had his phone confiscated and now has had a file on his activity sent to the DPP for consideration.

The people desperately trying to downplay that since the get go are the zombies I would think.

How many Tanaiste has that happened to, do youse reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

See post 9082 you are threadbanned

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I understood entirely the point you were making which is - everyone was responsible.
    This is incorrect. The people who carried out abuses and those who enabled them to do so were responsible.
    The victims, who were also members of society, were in no way, shape, or form responsible but it suits your narrative to paint them as 'culpable'.

Yes, let's behave like adults and call those in authority to account for their actions and request that those who turn a blind eye to abuses of power do likewise.

'Adulting' is not blaming the victims or trying to change the subject when your agenda are challenged. I'm thoroughly in favour of it.

Adulting is not deliberately ‘misunderstanding’ my point of view either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Adulting is not deliberately ‘misunderstanding’ my point of view either.

I have 'misunderstood' nothing.
    You stated, twice, that everyone was culpable for abuses carried out by agents of the Church and State acting in concert.

When this was queried you feigned confusion over the use of the word 'culpable' pointing out the 'wee lads' which apparently indicated you were having difficulty finding the correct term for 'guilty/involved/up to their necks in it'. A frankly tired attempt at deflecting from a query that clearly questioned your used of the word everyone, and your implicit blaming of victims of State/Church abuse due to everyone being complicit.

You were throwing out the 'we all partied' trope so beloved of those in authority when their utter failure to protect citizens - from among other things sexual/financial abuses - is pointed out. A trope echoed loudly by the Nothing to See Here defenders of the indefensible.

Nothing was 'misunderstood' Brendan. You were heard loud and clear.

I await the 'we all leak things' posts.

• Advertisement

When you get down to the 'points of order' stage then you know the story is finished.

There's a very fruity story about the body politic going to emerge in the next few weeks. It ain't this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I have 'misunderstood' nothing.
    You stated, twice, that everyone was culpable for abuses carried out by agents of the Church and State acting in concert.

When this was queried you feigned confusion over the use of the word 'culpable' pointing out the 'wee lads' which apparently indicated you were having difficulty finding the correct term for 'guilty/involved/up to their necks in it'. A frankly tired attempt at deflecting from a query that clearly questioned your used of the word everyone, and your implicit blaming of victims of State/Church abuse due to everyone being complicit.

You were throwing out the 'we all partied' trope so beloved of those in authority when their utter failure to protect citizens - from among other things sexual/financial abuses - is pointed out. A trope echoed loudly by the Nothing to See Here defenders of the indefensible.

Nothing was 'misunderstood' Brendan. You were heard loud and clear.

I await the 'we all leak things' posts.

In case of repeating myself, what in gods name has this to do with the thread?
    Nothing? Oh right....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thread dragged Off Topic yet again. Last warning, threadbans for next OT post

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The Tanaiste and former Taoiseach of the country was questioned for several hours by the Gardai and had his phone confiscated and now has had a file on his activity sent to the DPP for consideration.

The people desperately trying to downplay that since the get go are the zombies I would think.

How many Tanaiste has that happened to, do youse reckon?

Think you are hyping again, the understanding reported in the media is that the conclusion of the Garda investigation is that there is not likely to be a prosecution, presumably because no crime was committed.

On a lesser scale than the conclusions about the Storey funeral, for example.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Think you are hyping again, the understanding reported in the media is that the conclusion of the Garda investigation is that there is not likely to be a prosecution, presumably because no crime was committed.

Those conclusions came AFTER the PPS and independent counsel had a look at it and did THEIR jobs. The DPP still has to do their job here.

And by the way one was the breaching of regulations with a fine as a penalty and the other is either corruption (with a prison sentence) or the breaking of the OSA also with a prison sentence as a penalty.

What Varadkar is alleged to have done was already far ahead in terms of seriousness and gravity.
    I have no idea why you keep trying to drag the thread to that specific comparison...there is none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The word, 'presumably' is doing an awful lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If the DPP decide not to proceed with prosecution, does that make them "corrupt"?

Of course if you're alledged to have done something that never happened,and suggested by a Garda source for the British Times as such,all's good in the hood
    All's not good in the hood mind you for small publications or indeed persons who were definite in saying the Tánaiste is a criminal in those circumstances
    A lot of that on twitter too from the usual cohort
    Lucky,Leo is already magnanimous,can turn the other cheek,just gets on with his job and said he wouldn't be suing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Of course if you're alledged to have done something that never happened,and suggested by a Garda source for the British Times as such,all's good in the hood
    All's not good in the hood mind you for small publications or indeed persons who were definite in saying the Tánaiste is a criminal in those circumstances
    A lot of that on twitter too from the usual cohort
    Lucky,Leo is already magnanimous,can turn the other cheek,just gets on with his job and said he wouldn't be suing
    So Leo never leaked a document?

skimpydoo wrote: »
    So Leo never leaked a document?

Not illegally anyway if the Garda source of the British Times is to be believed
    He should have got O'Tuathail in to kildare street for a face to face briefing
    Same net effect

Theres going to be a book on this controversy no doubt that will reveal a lot that currently cannot be said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Not illegally anyway if the Garda source of the British Times is to be believed
    He should have got O'Tuathail in to kildare street for a face to face briefing
    Same net effect

Theres going to be a book on this controversy no doubt that will reveal a lot that currently cannot be said

It's deja vu. All over again.

I can't remember what reply was given when I made this argument. Probably something along the lines of 'Nobody understand a word you are saying' or some other sand in the face response.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's deja vu. All over again.

I can't remember what reply was given when I made this argument. Probably something along the lines of 'Nobody understand a word you are saying' or some other sand in the face response.

I can remember it, because you never made that argument at all. In fact I believe you went around the houses with pedanticism insisting that Leo didn't even apologise for leaking the document at all, and when he said he was sorry for not sharing it with OTuathail in a more formal manner, - IE bringing him in and going through the document in a clear and transparent manner, (or the opposite of leaking it as the rest of us would call it).

You implied what Leo was saying was he apologised for not leaking it in a more formal way.

Open to correction but that's certainly the gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

McMurphy wrote: »
    I can remember it, because you never made that argument at all.

Let me get this straight before I waste my time digging through stuff about Church abuses and the Spanish Civil War.

You're saying that I didn't state that he should have got O'Tuathail in a face to face briefing but that it's same net effect from a legal standpoint.

Just want to make sure now.

The suspense is killing me. Has Leo been charged with anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

There was never any chance of him getting charged. As I'm sure you are aware, this is Ireland.

He's still corrupt imo, but you can fanboy him up as much as you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

You will have to live with the suspense a while longer. It is unlikely he will be charged, but who knows what the ongoing criminal investigation will uncover.

According to a load of posters earlier in the thread, he is doing jailtime now.

Oh, they got it wrong, quelle surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

According to a load of posters earlier in the thread, he is doing jailtime now.

Oh, they got it wrong, quelle surprise.
    Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭jmcc

Suckit wrote: »
    Link.
    The Sindo has a big spread planned on it for April 1st, 2127. :) Seriously though, the reporting on this has been somewhat patchy at best. The next step will be if and when a file is sent to the DPP. The DPP will have to make the decision on prosecution.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There was never any chance of him getting charged. As I'm sure you are aware, this is Ireland.

He's still corrupt imo,
    but you can fanboy him up as much as you want.

Only a kangaroo court would find him corrupt.
    If he had attended a funeral then we'd also have a thread this long about it and your exact post in it also...

Did the Village come up with that?

Understood this thread was about Varadkar Story in the Village.

Francie could you enlighten an auld grunt where the Village come in on this ?

Ah leave the poor soul. The dreams of Leo in lock-up have been dashed and they need some humour to keep them going.

Why would the Village have to come into it?
    You don't seem to get satire and comedy Brendi.

• Advertisement

Why would the Village have to come into it?
    You don't seem to get satire and comedy Brendi.

Not your version of ‘ satire and comedy’ anyway Francie.

Genuine stuff...... not a problem.

Big fan of Bernie Manning, me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement