Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/varadkar-apologises-over-leak-of-confidential-gp-contract-to-rival-group-1.4398960

He agreed it was confidential and that he leaked it under questioning in the Dáil.

He never said he leaked it. He said that he shared the document appropriately, but that he regretted the manner in which he did so.

We have been over this many times, and it appears from the reports that the DPP is going to take the same type of view of this that I have done from the start. The document was not a confidential one in terms of the OSA and the Taoiseach was entitled to share it and didn't benefit from sharing it.

As always, the caveat is that opinion is based on the available public information.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

blanch152 wrote: »
    The document was not a confidential one in terms of the OSA and the Taoiseach was entitled to share it and didn't benefit from sharing it.

You wonder why he shared it on a 'confidential basis'...

Given some of your contributions to this thread it's absolutely laughable that you would try to pull the 'I told you so' card at this stage.

Given some of your contributions to this thread it's absolutely laughable that you would try to pull the 'I told you so' card at this stage.

I have said, from the start, based on the publicly available information, that there was nothing to this. It seems it has take others much longer (including the Gardai) to reach that conclusion. Not my fault that they took longer to understand the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He never said he leaked it. He said that he shared the document appropriately, but that he regretted the manner in which he did so.

We have been over this many times, and it appears from the reports that the DPP is going to take the same type of view of this that I have done from the start. The document was not a confidential one in terms of the OSA and the Taoiseach was entitled to share it and didn't benefit from sharing it.

As always, the caveat is that opinion is based on the available public information.

You and he can parse it and spin it whatever way you want.

He was asked in the Dáil,
    'Have you ever leaked confidential cabinet information before?'

And answered:

'Not of this nature'.

Everyone but his defenders know we were talking about leaking a confidential document.

He also said he accepted it was confidential.

I would theorise that calling in O'Tuatháil officially in his eyes might scupper the IMO relationship
    It would be public
    He should have been up front with all parties in my humble opinion

• Advertisement

You and he can parse it and spin it whatever way you want.

He was asked in the Dáil,
    'Have you ever leaked confidential cabinet information before?'

And answered:

'Not of this nature'.

Everyone but his defenders know we were talking about leaking a confidential document.

He also said he accepted it was confidential.

I am not doing any spinning.

The document was not a confidential one in terms of the OSA and the Taoiseach was entitled to share it and didn't benefit from sharing it. I have repeatedly said this from the start. Based on the publicly available information, it seems that the authorities have belatedly accepted this view.

I am not doing any spinning.

The document was not a confidential one in terms of the OSA and the Taoiseach was entitled to share it and didn't benefit from sharing it. I have repeatedly said this from the start. Based on the publicly available information, it seems that the authorities have belatedly accepted this view.

You are ignoring what he confessed to himself. You aren't his defence lawyer, your opinion is your own and not shared by everyone.

You are ignoring what he confessed to himself. You aren't his defence lawyer, your opinion is your own and not shared by everyone.

This is what I have said on the manner. Rather than pursuing red herrings or whataboutery or deflection, explain exactly why my opinion is in error. Nothing that you have posted invalidates a word of the truth in my post.

This is what I have said on the manner. Rather than pursuing red herrings or whataboutery or deflection, explain exactly why my opinion is in error. Nothing that you have posted invalidates a word of the truth in my post.

This is parsing and spinning by you and him (I presume you meant inappropriately':)
    He said that he shared the document appropriately,

Everybody else, including Leo under questioning, knows we were talking about leaking the document.

P. Tobin: 'Have you ever leaked confidential cabinet information before?'

Leo: 'No, not of this nature'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I have said, from the start, based on the publicly available information, that there was nothing to this. It seems it has take others much longer (including the Gardai) to reach that conclusion. Not my fault that they took longer to understand the issues.

Trying to pretend you had your finger on the pulse from the start of this is hysterical.

Two haymakers I've plucked at random. There's more though. :D
    Because some Twitter user says the Gardai are actively investigating him.
    A lie, a blatant lie.

This is a very good example of how fake news is created.

The Gardai are not investigating Varadkar.

• Advertisement

Technically lads,he assisted the Gardaí with their inquiries into whether a crime was committed
    Then there was/is either a crime or not at the conclusion
    Theres no two ways in this
    Only one
    He is not currently or on the basis of the British Times article likely to be the suspect of a crime here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I would think it is forbidden for the DPP to be telling Gardai his/her thinking in the middle of an investigation tbh. And if he/she was I think there would be questions to be asked there too.

We know nothing of the experience or rank/role of the 'Garda source'. They may turn out to be right but the whooping and hollering is certainly a tad premature.

My feeling always was is that he will get a rap over the knuckles in a 'not enough evidence to prosecute' kind of way.

I'd be surprised if the DPP gives carte blanche for TD's to knowingly engage in wrongdoing. Unprecedented surely?

Or maybe the “ Garda source “ is just another another leak.

Leakception

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Technically lads,he assisted the Gardaí with their inquiries into whether a crime was committed
    Only one
    He is not currently or on the basis of the British Times article likely to be the suspect of a crime here :)

You are mad to put this to bed, why?

thomas 123 wrote: »
    You are mad to put this to bed, why?
    Ah honestly,I'm just in with an opinion,I already think the fat lady is warming up the lullaby on it at this stage,that process needs no help from me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Only one

He assisted the Gardaí under caution which changes what you said.

skimpydoo wrote: »

They are parsing and spinning language to make it anything but what it is, since the start.

It actually doesn't :)

It actually doesn't :)
    It actually does because anything he says can be used in court if it goes that far. This makes it more than an informal chat.

It actually does because anything he says can be used in court if it goes that far. This makes it more than an informal chat.

It doesn't because he was interviewed as a withness to the investigation,not as a crime suspect as none has been discovered,if the British Times article is correct :)

It doesn't because he was interviewed as a withness to the investigation,not as a crime suspect as none has been discovered,if the British Times article is correct :)

'Assisting Police/Garda with their inquiries', is one of the oldest euphemisms out there, almost as old as 'he/she was known to Garda'.

Classic use of the wrong euphemism here Marine. :)

• Advertisement

You must have read a different times article to me. Where does it say that:confused:

McMurphy wrote: »
    You must have read a different times article to me. Where does it say that:confused:
    Her version of Google translate is designed for Anti Shinners.

I think you know what I mean
    No protected document,so no OSA coverage and no benefit to Vradakar
    I'll let you away with the pedanticism,this time
    Unless they're investigating something else not covered by the newspaper scoops :)

They are parsing and spinning language to make it anything but what it is, since the start.

I have told you plainly and clearly from the start without any parsing and spinning language what exactly is was. Nothing has changed to invalidate my opinion.
    The document was not a confidential one in terms of the OSA and the Taoiseach was entitled to share it and didn't benefit from sharing it.

As for parsing language, you take a negative response to a question about whether he leaked any other document, as being a positive acceptance that he leaked this particular one. As spinning goes, as debating from false premises goes, it is probably as low as it gets.

I have told you plainly and clearly from the start without any parsing and spinning language what exactly is was. Nothing has changed to invalidate my opinion.

As for parsing language, you take a negative response to a question about whether he leaked any other document, as being a positive acceptance that he leaked this particular one. As spinning goes, as debating from false premises goes, it is probably as low as it gets.

No, I am saying he was 'spinning' what he actually did, and the subsequent revelatory questioning revealed that. Everyone knew, as he did too, what was being talked about.

BTW, your opinion is your opinion only.

I think you know what I mean
    No protected document,so no OSA coverage and no benefit to Vradakar
    I'll let you away with the pedanticism,this time
    Unless they're investigating something else not covered by the newspaper scoops :)

Pedantic?

You are the one insisting the fat lady is singing, people need new box sets - this is all over etc etc, and then trying to spin yarns about what the article actually said.

The Tory rag "I mean British Times" didn't say no crime was committed, it said a file was to be sent to the DPP, so no it's hardly pedantic to pull you up on a lie. Little details like these are important, I'm sure you'll agree.

Also, bear in mind there were several articles published the same day from different journalists - all of which had different accounts from different sources. As I said the once castigated Tory rag has now seemingly become gospel.

Carry on. :D

Pedantic?

You are the one insisting the fat lady is singing, people need new box sets - this is all over etc etc, and then trying to spin yarns about what the article actually said.

The Tory rag "I mean British Times" didn't say no crime was committed, it said a file was to be sent to the DPP, so no it's hardly pedantic to pull you up on a lie. Little details like these are important, I'm sure you'll agree.

Also, bear in mind there were several articles published the same day from different journalists - all of which had different accounts from different sources. As I said the once castigated Tory rag has now seemingly become gospel.

Carry on. :D

I honestly couldn't care less what people think of British newspapers
    I do believe the fat lady is tuning up on this,yes thats the impression I got from that weekends coverage
    Other opinions are available,but sure if we wanted to avoid strangers opinions,we wouldnt be here at all :)

I honestly couldn't care less what people think of British newspapers
    I do believe the fat lady is tuning up on this,yes thats the impression I got from that weekends coverage
    Other opinions are available,but sure if we wanted to avoid strangers opinions,we wouldnt be here at all :)

Now this poster "doesn't care"

Just cares enough to make sure I knew what they referred to the paper as, and to deliberately misrepresent what the paper said.

Hang around - you're gas altogether. :D

Now this poster "doesn't care"

Just cares enough to make sure I knew what they referred to the paper as, and to deliberately misrepresent what the paper said.

Hang around - you're gas altogether. :D

Thanks
    But I simply cannot agree with your view of my view there
    But you're entitled to your opinion on an opinion forum
    It's good that you are here actually,so I return tbose sentiments
    As someone once said,2 people who agree on everything usually means there's only one thinker :)

• Advertisement

He was interviewed about it there by Cormac on Drivetime.

Told by his solicitors to keep schtum about it. Wouldn't say whether he has his phone back or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement