Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People losing the rag over Adele’s weight loss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some people cantvunderstandvits just a numbers game, eat less, do more, drop weight, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

“I have been struggling to even look at Adele and it is not that I feel she owes me anything or that she should have a certain type of body.

“I feel passionately that people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies...

“I have found it hard, it is about me, she was one of us and it feels a little bit like a loss.

“And it is not about her at all, it is about how women like us are represented in the media. I just wanted to mention it because I know there will be others who feel this way.

“Good for Adele, you do you babes, you do whatever you want with your body...I just don’t think there should ever be an article about how thin or how fat someone is.

"I just don’t think there should ever be an article about how thin or how fat someone is", she says in an article about how thin or fat someone is.

Piehead wrote: »
    Not all but certainly a large proportion of fat people are extremely lazy and weak willed. Too busy gorging on spicebags and cans in from of the tv to lose any weight

The compassion is strong with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Is this woman for real? She needs to talk to a therapist about her very valid feelings on this topic and not the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

"I just don’t think there should ever be an article about how thin or how fat someone is", she says in an article about how thin or fat someone is.

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Piehead wrote: »
    Not all but certainly a large proportion of fat people are extremely lazy and weak willed. Too busy gorging on spicebags and cans in from of the tv to lose any weight

Says Piehead.
    Hehehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

“I feel passionately that people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies...

“I have found it hard, it is about me, she was one of us and it feels a little bit like a loss.

I felt the same way when Robert Downey Jr gave up the demon drink and went all healthy.

Traitor.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

This thread started on a bad note and isn't going to end well. Closed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Against my better judgement, after discussion with the OP this thread will be reopened. No need for the inflammatory language though, I've deleted a number of posts that are just plain nasty.

Keep it civil and maybe this discussion can continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That Louise McSharry article is ridiculous. Put the work in Louise and you will get the same results and a better, healthier life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Some people cantvunderstandvits just a numbers game, eat less, do more, drop weight, simple.

We do like to over complicate things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Being fat/overweight is not good. It is bad for your health and has implications for our health services - which, we now see, sail close to the wind.

Plus size is fat.

Body positivity is great. Being positive about being very overweight is not.

Fat shaming is bullying. Obesity and socioeconomic status are correlated. More needs to be done to improve the quality of food that is sold for human consumption. Calories on menus is a good idea. Sugar tax is a good idea.

Obese parents who raise obese kids should be referred to TUSLA.

I can understand why she'd feel that way but I don't understand why she'd talk about it publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This whole topic is a weird one on Twitter. Of course, everyone is free to be who they want to be. To be whatever size they want, to not be ridiculed because they're overweight.

But there's this odd little enclave who have latched onto obesity as a form of identity and freedom of expression. They consider being overweight as some kind of "freedom", from social norms, or social pressure, or whatever. They post whatever they can find that supports their obesity as a good thing, and will attack any article that suggests that being a normal weight is better for you. Calling it "fatphobia".

Thus, when someone prominent loses a lot of weight, they feel that's some kind of attack on their core identity. Like your Catholic friend now declaring they're an atheist, someone saying they don't eat meat, or a British person refusing to wear a poppy.

It causes this bizarre crisis of identity; they feel judged, personally attacked, by a decision that someone else has made for themselves. And rather than just move on and deal with their own sh1te, they attack the person for daring to make their own decisions.

There's nowt queerer than folk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's a certain cohort of journalists who populate the opinion pages who have a staggering lack of self awareness, so this is not a shock, indeed it it to be expected. It is also to be found to a large proportion among their readership so it sells.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

"One of our own" makes it sound like a racial thing. Being overweight is something you can change, hence why persecution is more accepted, rightly or wrongfully.

In my early twenties I hit the beer fairly hard, drinking every night of the week because I was gigging. I've had more free pints and lockins than most people have had hot dinners. But you get to a point where you have to look at yourself in the mirror and decide that you want to have more energy, the hangovers are getting bad, it's something you want to enjoy in moderation! Now I have about twelve quality units a week and savour the faic out of them.

I'm pretty sure the same thing happened with Adele, especially cos she has kids now. She used go wrong off the tins.

Definitely don't disparage the woman for it. Definitely don't disown her from some fat club you've invented because of your own shortcomings.

You see this sort of thing with many unhealthy things. Like two alcoholics and when one stops, the other loses that safety net of "it's not just me". I don't think it's necessarily about identity. It's fandom where it's an overweight relating to their idol and then when they do something about it, it hits home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

God poor Adele. She can't win. Constantly talked about for her weight for years. She losses weight and that's a problem too.

Maybe leave people alone and stop judging other people's bodies.

And fair play to her. She looks fantastic.

Women really can be their own worst enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

She has taken steps to improve her health

What's wrong with that? Most of us can take a leaf out of her book.

Godspeed Adele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

She looks unreal now

Nice face, good body, nice fit looking blond woman now

They are just jealous imo

Adele was always attractive was just too heavy, shes attractive now and all the jealousy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That McSharry one used to have an article on thejournal about makeup, and I used to think it was some kind of joke at the start because of what she was advising people to do with their faces. Absolutely caked in awful looking makeup. She's hardly in a position to be moaning about images being portrayed in the media when she's encouraging young ones to buy all of that slap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I think she looks amazing, i always thought she was pretty but now she looks so much better,
    and healthier as we should all aim to be.
    Instead of moaning at her, people should follow her example.
    More power to her i say and anyone who puts in the graft

I think she looks weird without the weight..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Does she still sound like a fishwife selling oysters and jellied eels in Billingsgate Market?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

"Fat Positivity" should be outlawed like Gay Conversion Therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Does she still sound like a fishwife selling oysters and jellied eels in Billingsgate Market?

If you mean an Indian/Bangladeshi man, which most of the stalls in B-gate were manned by last time I was there, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

seamus wrote: »
    This whole topic is a weird one on Twitter. Of course, everyone is free to be who they want to be. To be whatever size they want, to not be ridiculed because they're overweight.

But there's this odd little enclave who have latched onto obesity as a form of identity and freedom of expression. They consider being overweight as some kind of "freedom", from social norms, or social pressure, or whatever. They post whatever they can find that supports their obesity as a good thing, and will attack any article that suggests that being a normal weight is better for you. Calling it "fatphobia".

Thus, when someone prominent loses a lot of weight, they feel that's some kind of attack on their core identity. Like your Catholic friend now declaring they're an atheist, someone saying they don't eat meat, or a British person refusing to wear a poppy.

It causes this bizarre crisis of identity; they feel judged, personally attacked, by a decision that someone else has made for themselves. And rather than just move on and deal with their own sh1te, they attack the person for daring to make their own decisions.

There's nowt queerer than folk.

Yep, that comedian Sophie Hagan is a prime example. She had a go at Cancer Research for a poster campaign that listed obesity as one of the major factors in cancer because they were "body shaming" or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

She didn't interview for or write that article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Clearly people just lashing out due to jealousy.

Advertisement