Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People losing the rag over Adele’s weight loss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

GingerLily wrote: »
    She didn't interview for or write that article.

Not much difference between writing an article
    or having a personal rant on a national radio station tbf

Fair play to Adele, looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Had a peek at the article. Not so long ago in car I had the misfortune to catch the first while of Today FM news after 4.30. There were some guests on, don't know their names. They talked about things like Kim Kardashians hologram father appearing at her birthday, whether or not potties and socks were essential items and then they started in on Donald Trump. Then I have a peek at that article. I start the weekend knowing for sure that Idiocracy has become real life. How has it come to this. Our brains have been co-opted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It’s an insidious part of the “body positivity” movement. Anyone who loses weight is seen as a traitor. There is denial that obesity is unhealthy.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Had a peek at the article. Not so long ago in car I had the misfortune to catch the first while of Today FM news after 4.30. There were some guests on, don't know their names. They talked about things like Kim Kardashians hologram father appearing at her birthday, whether or not potties and socks were essential items and then they started in on Donald Trump. Then I have a peek at that article. I start the weekend knowing for sure that Idiocracy has become real life. How has it come to this. Our brains have been co-opted.

That’s why Trump winning again would be a good thing. He is an antidote to this nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

It’s an insidious part of the “body positivity” movement. Anyone who loses weight is seen as a traitor. There is denial that obesity is unhealthy.

Body positivity is part of Identity Politics. Entwined with gender theory and all that bollox. Thin privilege is a thing in some circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Piehead wrote: »
    That’s why Trump winning again would be a good thing. He is an antidote to this nonsense.

jaysus.

he's about as much an antidote to this nonsense as drinking bleach is to covid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If so - and I don't buy it myself, as he's just as much a product of this divisive madness - then it's a perfect example of the cure being worse than the disease.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'If you don't be lovin' me at me fattest, you sure as hell don't deserve me at me bestest'

Mahatma Gandhi.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Worst article I've read in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Good on Adele for taking control of her life and going down the healthy route. If you think of it from an Environmental viewpoint she isn't eating 3 humans worth of food anymore, but one. Good for the planet and for her health.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Possessions are fleeting

Weight gain and loss are often complex issues and that gets lost in these kinds of threads. Yes it is "easy" to lose weight by restricting calorie intake but that doesn't take in to account the reason why the person might be overweight in the first place. There can be a lot of mental health issues connected to obesity. The relationship some of us have with food isn't straightforward.

It is the same for extreme weight loss. Anorexia gets sympathy but obesity doesn't yet they are both dangerous conditions and symptomatic of something deeper.

I don't like any kind of division among people. While I can see and accept the complexities of disordered eating I have no time for "not a real woman" or any kind of body shaming.
    My own body image can be pretty terrible and I would love to be slimmer. That's me though. It's for me to work through. It doesn't mean I view thin women as "not real" or curvy women in a negative light.

Interestingly I lost a friend not too long ago because she said I found "weight repulsive". I nearly fell off the chair with the shock. For her as a curvy woman she some how equated my negative image and chat to such a belief. It made me feel really sad that I lost who I thought was a good friend. It is just an indication though of how tricky the whole weight thing can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Some people are just big boned.

Although as Billy Connolly said, I’ve never seen a skeleton with a giant arse bone or a massive belly bone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

How many of them complaining are women? That will tell you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

She looks good. Good for her.

Now, if she could just trim down the loud cursor...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Yep, that comedian Sophie Hagan is a prime example. She had a go at Cancer Research for a poster campaign that listed obesity as one of the major factors in cancer because they were "body shaming" or something.

Yes that was unreal, she actually called them c*nts.

Yes that was unreal, she actually called them c*nts.

Outrageous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

God poor Adele. She can't win. Constantly talked about for her weight for years. She losses weight and that's a problem too.

Maybe leave people alone and stop judging other people's bodies.

And fair play to her. She looks fantastic.

Women really can be their own worst enemies.

There will come a day when it will no longer be acceptable, not that it ever was, to critique/judge/analyse/comment on a woman’s appearance in the media which I eagerly await. She was grand before, she is fine now with less weight, if she puts it all back on she will still be fine. There is a global pandemic, heightened racial tensions in the US, a US presidential election due and ongoing terrorist attacks in France, you would think journalists and social media nobodies would have more important things to discuss than tear apart some poor woman over her looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

She looks fantastic.It is a long disciplined road both emotionally and physically to lose a lot of weight.She can be proud of herself.It must be a great feeling after years of being on the plus side to be free to experiment with clothes,fashion & wear a slinky dress.
    As for the people who say she looks unrecognisable,shedding fat from your face will do that.
    My brother used to be overweight and he lost multiple stone,he now has cheekbones to rival Kate Moss.Changes the shape of your face and how you look but it can make some people look drawn or gaunt.

• Advertisement

She looks fantastic.It is a long disciplined road both emotionally and physically to lose a lot of weight.She can be proud of herself.It must be a great feeling after years of being on the plus side to be free to experiment with clothes,fashion & wear a slinky dress.
    As for the people who say she looks unrecognisable,shedding fat from your face will do that.
    My brother used to be overweight and he lost multiple stone,he now has cheekbones to rival Kate Moss.Changes the shape of your face and how you look but it can make some people look drawn or gaunt.

What I think would be wonderful for women of all sizes to reach is being comfortable to experiment with all types of clothes and slinky dresses. I'm getting married so have been looking at wedding dresses online. The amount of times I've said to myself "that would look dreadful on me" or "I couldn't wear that" and "I wish I had her body". It's a weary state of mind and I'm sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Adele looks great and most importantly happy.

Louise McSharry's article was nothing more than bodyshaming. What fat people give out about all the time. Such hypocrisy.

Obesity is unhealthy and there is nothing wrong with saying so.

Well done Adele. Hard work has paid off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

she got her stomach stapled it's the only way you can lose that much weight
    as a diet will not help a lot of stars get it done

there's a small chance of dying with it

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Daisy78 wrote: »
    There will come a day when it will no longer be acceptable, not that it ever was, to critique/judge/analyse/comment on a woman’s appearance in the media which I eagerly await. She was grand before, she is fine now with less weight, if she puts it all back on she will still be fine. There is a global pandemic, heightened racial tensions in the US, a US presidential election due and ongoing terrorist attacks in France, you would think journalists and social media nobodies would have more important things to discuss than tear apart some poor woman over her looks.

This. If you are comfortable in your own skin/body then you've much to be happy about.

I am very small in size and I still look at stretch marks on my legs/butt and thing my tummy's a bit pudgy and lots of other things but after years of abusing my body on the whole I've become more accepting and value my health above all. I've done long term damage due to body insecurities. It's a different path for everyone so I wouldn't ever suggest how anyone else should look/eat/feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Rodin wrote: »
    Adele looks great and most importantly happy.

Louise McSharry's article was nothing more than bodyshaming. What fat people give out about all the time. Such hypocrisy.

Obesity is unhealthy and there is nothing wrong with saying so.

Well done Adele. Hard work has paid off.

Body shaming is wrong either way!! Nobody should be subjected to abuse because of their weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ekerot

More work needs to be done on crushing obesity, though outside of a direct fat Tax on people for being overweight, I can't think of anything that hasn't been tried at this stage.

Sugar tax? It's here
    Educating children on eating healthy in schools? I went through that back when Food Dudes was (and still is) a thing.
    Putting calorie information on menus? It's down the pipeline the last time I recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Seems she can’t win. First they bully her about being too fat, now they bully her about being too thin.

How about they just listen to her music and stop commenting endlessly on her weight?

She’s a musician. Does it really matter what weight she is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I know I'm stealing Mark Twain's line here, but losing weight is easy, I've done it loads of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Ekerot wrote: »
    More work needs to be done on crushing obesity, though outside of a direct fat Tax on people for being overweight, I can't think of anything that hasn't been tried at this stage.

Sugar tax? It's here
    Educating children on eating healthy in schools? I went through that back when Food Dudes was (and still is) a thing.
    Putting calorie information on menus? It's down the pipeline the last time I recall

We could start by stopping referring to obesity as being something to be celebrated....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

What a pointless fuss about nothing. Her fame came about because of her inspiring musical talent, what difference does it make to anything whether she's fat or thin.

The obsession the media and some cohorts of the public have over the weight's of celebrities is something I will never be able to understand

Advertisement