Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Ireland's worst journalist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

That cycling dude Paul Kimmage
    Bitter and sour

Two things.

1) Love 'That cycling dude', very Lebowski!

2) I think Kimmage deserves not a little credit for his unrelenting criticism of drug-cheat Lance Armstrong...long before it was the popular thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

storker wrote: »
    it's not his job to offer solutions.
    I'm not saying that journalists shouldn't offer solutions

I'm glad you've found where you were wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Nexytus wrote: »
    I'm glad you've found where you were wrong there.

These two statements are not contradictory. See if you can figure out why not...

These two statements are not contradictory. See if you can figure out why not...

It's not hard to figure out that you backtracked into safe vague territory when you couldn't stand over your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The one who bought the Celtic Tiger apartment.

• Advertisement

It's not hard to figure out that you backtracked into safe vague territory when you couldn't stand over your point.

So you couldn't figure it out. Pity, but hardly surprising. Let me put it another way. There's a difference between:

1. It is not a requirement for journalists to offer solutions

and

2. Journalists must not offer solutions.

I take position 1 i.e. if a journalist wants to propose a solution, then great, but the lack of a solution does not mean that the issue identified by a journalist can just be airily dismisses with a vague handwave.

But I suspect you knew that.

So you couldn't figure it out. Pity, but hardly surprising. Let me put it another way. There's a difference between:

1. It is not a requirement for journalists to offer solutions

and

2. Journalists must not offer solutions.

I take position 1 i.e. if a journalist wants to propose a solution, then great, but the lack of a solution does not mean that the issue identified by a journalist can just be airily dismisses with a vague handwave.

But I suspect you knew that.

You addressed a post that said a particular journalist never offered solutions.
    You defended the journalist's approach saying it wasn't his job.

You couldn't stand over that so you changed to well he can occasionally not offer a solution and it's not against the law to not.

As I said backtracked.

You addressed a post that said a particular journalist never offered solutions.
    You defended the journalist's approach saying it wasn't his job.

You couldn't stand over that so you changed to well he can occasionally not offer a solution and it's not against the law to not.

As I said backtracked.

Well, I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. You're own your own there. :rolleyes:

Well, I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. You're own your own there. :rolleyes:

Try not to mess up your sentences and miss words when you're trying to be smart ass.

Try not to mess up your sentences and miss words when you're trying to be smart ass.

Ah yes, the old clutching at grammatical straws ploy. We're done here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I can barely even name a journalist. Not sure why I'm supposed to care about their opinions.

Most real Irish journalists are reporting who got done for no tax at the local courthouse, the national press are populated by preening narcissistic z list wannabe celebrities calling themselves journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Philip o Connor

He's actually an advocate for not listening to many opinions and views ,he's effectively anti journalism

Biggest wanker on Twitter, Nazi's everywhere according to the bould philip

Paul Williams. Pretends to be hard hitting but is just a romance writer about criminals.

Actually his job is shilling for the guards his stories about crime are just what some guard told him

Ah yes, the old clutching at grammatical straws ploy. We're done here.

You were done when you made the idiotic point that journalists should be naysayers with positive or constructive ideas. You can keep posting evasions and insults but you can't delete that embarrassingly stupid post you made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭CharlesMartel

I would say Ian Bailey is the worst journalist. His reporting of that Schull murder seems to have dropped into decades of trouble and a French court conviction too

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Roy Curtis, comes out with some ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Anyone remember Paul Hyland ? Oh, and Cathal Dervan, before he went on to become John Delaneys mouthpiece. Is Dervan still at the FAI ?

I am going out on a limb here, but in terms of best journalists (or at least the ones I enjoy/enjoyed reading over the years):

Tom Humphries - the guy was a joy to read.
    David McWilliams - I love the way he tells the story of modern Ireland, very relatable but also he is very forward looking and I love his ideas even if they can sometimes be a bit madcap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

I am going out on a limb here, but in terms of best journalists (or at least the ones I enjoy/enjoyed reading over the years):

David McWilliams - I love the way he tells the story of modern Ireland, very relatable but also he is very forward looking and I love his ideas even if they can sometimes be a bit madcap.

Malachy Clerkin, Paul Kimmage and Keith Duggan are love to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Has to be Sorcha Pollak of the IT.

Has on at least two occasions done interviews with people in the asylum system who don't even bother to make up a story about having fled any sort of oppression. Outright state they are here for reasons of personal convenience. This fraud of a journalist doesn't even see the contradiction.

• Advertisement

Has to be Sorcha Pollak of the IT.

Has on at least two occasions done interviews with people in the asylum system who don't even bother to make up a story about having fled any sort of oppression. Outright state they are here for reasons of personal convenience. This fraud of a journalist doesn't even see the contradiction.

She's an activist posing as a journalist

Ellen coyne is another one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

topnotch wrote: »
    Paul Kimmage **** stirrer extraordinare.

I have seen so many people laud him for his interview pieces in Sunday Independent.

But when you read them, it's literally a transcript from the Dictaphone or whatever means he recorded the interview:

PK: "Really?"

Random sports star: "Yeah"

PK: "How did you feel"

RSS: "It hurt".

PK: "I say it did".

Then it's some transcript from one of his earlier pieces, or a quote from a book.

Repeated ad nauseam.

Groundbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Humphries was great at covering camogie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Most real Irish journalists are reporting who got done for no tax at the local courthouse, the national press are populated by preening narcissistic z list wannabe celebrities calling themselves journalists.

We read and hear them all today bull****ting about results in Wisconsin and the Rust Belt. They couldn't find th U.S.A. on a map

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

COVID wrote: »

Two things.

1) Love 'That cycling dude', very Lebowski!

2) I think Kimmage deserves not a little credit for his unrelenting criticism of drug-cheat Lance Armstrong...long before it was the popular thing to say.

That aside Kimmage does come accross like a right prick from time to time; particularly on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Jim Root wrote: »
    That aside Kimmage does come accross like a right prick from time to time; particularly on Twitter.

I'll have to take your word for that as I'm not on Twitter.

But, back then, there were not many journalists who would directly confront Lance Armstrong in this manner:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Brendan O'Connor, if I see his name in the paper I dump the paper. Hate the hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

This thread seems to be what journalist views annoy me the most. I can't stand Una Mullaly but I think she can actually write pretty well. She just talks a lot of sh! Worst journalist for me is probably louise o'neill. Sh views and sh prose.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Doc07

COVID wrote: »
    I'll have to take your word for that as I'm not on Twitter.

But, back then, there were are not many journalists who would directly confront Lance Armstrong in this manner:

The two lads either side of Lance remind me of the FAI gimps sitting beside John Delaney in the Dail. Looking awkward as they know their man is full of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

David Quinn.

The man is a nutter.

He pops up occasionally in the Covid briefings to ask the most half baked and stupid questions, which only further confirms my opinion of him.

Not a fan of Ian O' Doherty - an enormous windbag - or Barry Egan.

Not surprised to see Fintan O' Toole getting piles of hate. Exactly the type to anger the masses on anonymous internet message boards. I personally don't mind that muchand think he's usually more right than wrong, but I think he writes from a self righteous point of view and is painfully right-on without actually being all that radical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement