Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Ireland's worst journalist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Vincent Kearney pushing for the title the last couple of nights,

Joe Duffy.

€400k for position that once paid an offensive fraction of that, to connect callers to one another on a telephone exchange.

I know the producers do good work in screening the most promising callers, but good jesus.

Joe Duffy.

€400k for position that once paid an offensive fraction of that, to connect callers to one another on a telephone exchange.

I know the producers do good work in screening the most promising callers, but good jesus.

I'd rather 'pop out' ingrown toenails than listen to Joe Duffy, but isn't he one of the top earners who bring in way more in advertising and sponsorship than they cost? A net earner for RTE?

I'd rather 'pop out' ingrown toenails than listen to Joe Duffy, but isn't he one of the top earners who bring in way more in advertising and sponsorship than they cost? A net earner for RTE?
    RTE generates about half its income from advertising, and radio ads are only a tiny fraction of that income. Radio saves money elsewhere, but short answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Paul williams

Utterly detestable person,who operates as effectively a PRO for the gaurds
    Williams would be one. I think the likes of Jim Cusack, Eoghan Harris are deplorable as columnists. Some of their articles stretch the imagination to the outright bizarre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Joe Duffy.

I think, personally, the big “problem” with RTÉ is that they shell out huge money for people in time slots where the majority of their listeners don’t really care about who’s in the “chair”.

Granted, you couldn’t stick someone terrible in there but they really don’t need Duffy. People, especially, “down the country” have the radio on in the kitchen, maybe in the living room too, on all day and, possibly, all night.

These people will never “move the dial”. The radio will be turned off when their children, or relatives, are clearing out their house after they’ve died.

“Poaching” Ray D’Arcy from Today FM was a dreadful move. Completely unnecessary. He’d become a tired, humourless, unfunny bore who seemed to feed off the misery of his guests. I guess that’s what RTÉ want, as it seems to be all that the anti ‘Late Late Show’ brigade seem to be bleating about.

You could swap out Tubridy, Duffy and D’Arcy with “stand ins” for weeks on end and it wouldn’t matter one jot to the ratings of RTÉ Radio 1’s listening figures. Time is the only thing that’s going to change that.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I think, personally, the big “problem” with RTÉ is that they shell out huge money for people in time slots where the majority of their listeners don’t really care about who’s in the “chair”.

Granted, you couldn’t stick someone terrible in there but they really don’t need Duffy. People, especially, “down the country” have the radio on in the kitchen, maybe in the living room too, on all day and, possibly, all night.

These people will never “move the dial”. The radio will be turned off when their children, or relatives, are clearing out their house after they’ve died.

“Poaching” Ray D’Arcy from Today FM was a dreadful move. Completely unnecessary. He’d become a tired, humourless, unfunny bore who seemed to feed off the misery of his guests. I guess that’s what RTÉ want, as it seems to be all that the anti ‘Late Late Show’ brigade seem to be bleating about.

You could swap out Tubridy, Duffy and D’Arcy with “stand ins” for weeks on end and it wouldn’t matter one jot to the ratings of RTÉ Radio 1’s listening figures. Time is the only thing that’s going to change that.

Have often wondered whether the statisticians who measure the ratings ever check whether ratings dip when certain broadcasters (not just in radio, but in general, like) dip when there are stand-ins. I really couldn't care less whether David McCullough is reading the news or Ray Kennedy. Nobody cares.

Have often wondered whether the statisticians who measure the ratings ever check whether ratings dip when certain broadcasters (not just in radio, but in general, like) dip when there are stand-ins. I really couldn't care less whether David McCullough is reading the news or Ray Kennedy. Nobody cares.

RTÉ Radio 1 should still have a healthy baseline throughout their shows. The sad thing about RTÉ is that their evening shows are really good.

I, personally, never mind when Jonathan Healy sits in for Pat Kenny. The listenership may even increase as a few people seem to really dislike him, think he’s seen as too “WOKE”(all caps) so the lads get the notepads out and have the listenback function ready to go over again.

However, when Tom Dunne is on instead of Moncrieff I’ve no problem turning off. He’s a nice guy but it’s just not the same “show”. Not sure who could take over if Moncrieff ever left.

But, then again, I’m not in my 70s living in some remote part of Offaly so “switching off”, or over to another station, is easily done.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

RTÉ Radio 1 should still have a healthy baseline throughout their shows. The sad thing about RTÉ is that their evening shows are really good.

I, personally, never mind when Jonathan Healy sits in for Pat Kenny. The listenership may even increase as a few people seem to really dislike him, think he’s seen as too “WOKE”(all caps) so the lads get the notepads out and have the listenback function ready to go over again.

However, when Tom Dunne is on instead of Moncrieff I’ve no problem turning off. He’s a nice guy but it’s just not the same “show”. Not sure who could take over if Moncrieff ever left.

But, then again, I’m not in my 70s living in some remote part of Offaly so “switching off”, or over to another station, is easily done.

Can we all form an entente cordiale, and agree that John Creedon's radio show is one of the best things that RTÉ has ever put on air?

Can we all form an entente cordiale, and agree that John Creedon's radio show is one of the best things that RTÉ has ever put on air?

That's probably the one programme where a stand-in does lead to a national existential collapse. Wonderful broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

For me it's Fintan O'Toole as all he does in his writing is state the obvious. Who do you think is Ireland's worst journalist?
    learn the difference btw a columnist and journalist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

Is that wagon Ursala Hannigan still rattling around somewhere? Irish journalism hit a new low when she forced Brian Lenihan to tell his young kids he was dying on Christmas Eve or she would tell them via the TV3 news on Christmas day. Sure Fianna Fail had crashed the country but the Lenihan children were innocent and didn't deserve what she did to then that Christmas That was one of the most vile examples of gutter journalism you'll ever find. There are plenty of just awful insensitive or biased Irish journalists out there but I don't think anyone will ever top her. Thankfully she's disappeared from main stream media but these days she could still be peddling her trade on one of the online outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

John Mooney

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

touts wrote: »
    Is that wagon Ursala Hannigan still rattling around somewhere? Irish journalism hit a new low when she forced Brian Lenihan to tell his young kids he was dying on Christmas Eve or she would tell them via the TV3 news on Christmas day. Sure Fianna Fail had crashed the country but the Lenihan children were innocent and didn't deserve what she did to then that Christmas That was one of the most vile examples of gutter journalism you'll ever find. There are plenty of just awful insensitive or biased Irish journalists out there but I don't think anyone will ever top her. Thankfully she's disappeared from main stream media but these days she could still be peddling her trade on one of the online outlets.

Oh once you enter politics, you're fair game for journalists. Liam Lawlor was probably one of the most corrupt politicians in Irish history-but he didn't deserve to have a journalist say 'He was in a car with a prostitute' at the time he died, in 2005. Not least because his family didn't deserve that kind of vitriol thrown their way (whatever he did, and whatever his children deny he did) nor did the woman who was accused of being a prostitute. (She was a translator-she spoke Russian and English).

And this was in death. For families who lose a loved one, the one moment you hope to not be bothered by scurrilous individuals is the moment when you lose someone and wish to mourn their passing.
    Instead, Liam Lawlor's family, grieving his death, had to deal with the most egregious crap you could imagine.

The translator who was recovering in hospital after the shock and injuries she sustained in the crash also had to contend with allegations she was a prostitute.

The worst thing about Lenihan's cancer was that if one knows anything about pancreatic cancer... is that it's pretty much terminal. The survival rate is tragically low.
    It was tough watching him try to fix the country, and knowing he had very little time left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Eamon Dunphy.

touts wrote: »
    She's long retired. She made a terrible lapse of judgement in broadcasting that. At the same time, it now seems to be increasingly accepted that Lenihan was too sick to be in that job. The ground was moving from under the economy and under his own mortality, the Department of Finance remained an epicentre of economic chaos from 2009 to 2011. Anyone who has seen someone go through cancer treatment will know how impossible a task Lenihan faced as minister.

The way the story was reported was irresponsible but it would have been worse not to let people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It’s a strange one alright, although not that surprisingly.

If the perpetrator is whyte male you hear all the cries of ‘liar’, ‘attention seeker’, ‘regret isn’t rape’, ‘look at what she was wearing’ from the “usual suspects” but if it’s a case where the prep is a black, or Arab, man the cries are all about ‘protect our womxn!’ and ‘send them all back!’.

It’s a ridiculous double standard.

Hyperbolic nonsense.
    Yes some rapists have been defended, have gotten character references from some high profile stats individuals and we have had absolute numpties come out to support some of them.

But lets not drag in "asylum ssekers" into this.
    No one has ever said all people who are black, Arab, etc are rapists and that is why they need to be sent back.

But there is another side to this that you have conveniently left out.
    And that is that we have had a few ghastly rapes and sexual assaults carried out by some that fit into the above category.
    And some of the above do come from cultures that have ingrained misogynistic traits and that means they do not have anywhere near the same cultural norms with regards to women and people of a different sexuality that we now have in this country.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Eamon Dunphy.

not at all, far from it

he was the only one brave enough (at the time) to call out Jack Charlton on his caveman like football tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Eamon Dunphy.

I like Éamon Dunphy. He's not everyone's cup of tea but he'll be missed when he's gone. I listen to his podcast every night. He does a good effort.

Worst journos have to be Niamh Horan and Barry Egan. They alone have created a z list celebrity culture with their constant fawning.

John The Baptist just lol.

I like Éamon Dunphy. He's not everyone's cup of tea but he'll be missed when he's gone. I listen to his podcast every night. He does a good effort.

Worst journos have to be Niamh Horan and Barry Egan. They alone have created a z list celebrity culture with their constant fawning.

John The Baptist just lol.

There’s a lot of very ‘black and white’ sorts who don’t realise that Barry Egan’s columns are firmly tongue-in-cheek.

• Advertisement

There’s a lot of very ‘black and white’ sorts who don’t realise that Barry Egan’s columns are firmly tongue-in-cheek.

Arse cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

His radio show in the evening is excellent.
    Oh once you enter politics, you're fair game for journalists. Liam Lawlor was probably one of the most corrupt politicians in Irish history-but he didn't deserve to have a journalist say 'He was in a car with a prostitute' at the time he died, in 2005. Not least because his family didn't deserve that kind of vitriol thrown their way (whatever he did, and whatever his children deny he did) nor did the woman who was accused of being a prostitute. (She was a translator-she spoke Russian and English).

And this was in death. For families who lose a loved one, the one moment you hope to not be bothered by scurrilous individuals is the moment when you lose someone and wish to mourn their passing.
    Instead, Liam Lawlor's family, grieving his death, had to deal with the most egregious crap you could imagine.

The translator who was recovering in hospital after the shock and injuries she sustained in the crash also had to contend with allegations she was a prostitute.

The worst thing about Lenihan's cancer was that if one knows anything about pancreatic cancer... is that it's pretty much terminal. The survival rate is tragically low.
    It was tough watching him try to fix the country, and knowing he had very little time left.

I have absolutely no problem with anything said about Liam Lawlor, and I don't really care if that affects his family or not.
    Let's face it his family no doubt benefited greatly from his corruption.

Lawlors influence was absolutely terrible and it's side effects are still being felt to this day.
    There are thousands of victims of shysters like him.
    Planning corruption has huge knock on effects.

As for Lenihan, part of me feels sorry for him because he wasn't the one really at fault for the mess, that was his boss and former boss.
    But he was part of the party and government that very much presided over creating the mess.

He didn't have to take the job or stay in the job.
    I have had relatives that died from pancreatic cancer and it very much is a death sentence.
    I don't really get why he stayed in the job, maybe it was sense of duty inherited from the father.
    His father and indeed the family stayed loyal to haughey even though he pi**ed all over the father when he took the money raised for his treatment for his own use.

I think it is all about party for them.

As for topic at hand I think it is a far easier task to name the good journalists, commentators than the bad ones in this country.
    And it isn't just an Irish thing either.

The level of journalism round the world has really gone down hill.
    And a**holes like Murdoch have a lot to do with that.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'd probably have to say Tom Humphries...

This is what's wrong with threads like this: people are holding up those whose opinions they don't like as being "bad journalists" when in fact the reverse is often true. They are very good journalists, they just write things expressing points of view that people don't like.

Tom Humphries was an excellent journalist. He might be a ****ty human being, and indeed he was thrown in jail for his crimes against a young woman, but that has nothing to do with his ability or his track record as a journalist. He was a sublime writer (probably still is, but who would employ him?) and I still have several of his books on my shelf and delve into them from time to time.

None of which is to justify or mitigate his crime. It was reprehensible and society "called him out" for that by locking him up.

Fintan O'Toole too is an excellent journalist. His arguments are cogent, well argued, beautifully phrased and unambiguously expressed. Some people may not like them (I do, mostly) but it cannot be denied he is a particularly accomplished journalist. The OP said he "states the obvious" which is such a back handed compliment. Remember what George Orwell said in 1984: "The best books are the ones that tell you what you already know". It's not what somebody says that makes them a good journalist: it's how they say it.

People who misrepresent facts, make straw man arguments, use loaded language as innuendo or indulge in other cheap tricks are not good journalists. I particularly dislike Loony Doolally, not only for her opinions but for how she puts them. I don't rate her at all.

I think Eoghan Harris is a complete prat too, but I read what he writes because he expresses himself well. Just so I can disagree with it. It's important to keep up to date with what the reprehensible in society are thinking. Again: ****ty person, good journalist.
    There's a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Joe Dixon

I'm not sure if this is fully open to Sports journalists but i'd like to chime in on any mention of Roy Curtis.

Deems himself qualified to comment across a range of sports with no discernible knowledge base in any that I’ve witnessed. It says a lot about any publication that would have him on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hamachi wrote: »
    Sorcha Polack..

Although calling her a journalist is stretching the limits of credibility.

Because?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

Zara King

• Registered Users Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Boucher Hayes loves himself so much the story or person he’s interviewing barely gets a look in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Klopp wrote: »
    Zara King

Her Covid reports are much better than George (we're all doomed)Lee's

Her Covid reports are much better than George (we're all doomed)Lee's

Yeah but she’s a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

jmayo wrote: »

<edited for brevity>

Lawlors influence was absolutely terrible and it's side effects are still being felt to this day.
    There are thousands of victims of shysters like him.
    Planning corruption has huge knock on effects.

Say what you wish about him, for sure-but don't make up lies. The woman who was in that car was horribly defamed.
    She was a completely innocent party.
    <edited for brevity>

I have had relatives that died from pancreatic cancer and it very much is a death sentence.
    I don't really get why he stayed in the job, maybe it was sense of duty inherited from the father.
    His father and indeed the family stayed loyal to haughey even though he pi**ed all over the father when he took the money raised for his treatment for his own use.

My dad died of the disease, as did my aunt's brother-in-law. My father was fortunate to not have the worst stuff that came with it (the pain is said to be indescribable, and agony-he didn't have pain. Very grateful to this day he didn't). Others weren't so lucky.

Klopp wrote: »
    Zara King

She's extremely down to earth, takes a lot of jokes and jibes on the chin, especially on twitter. (Who else would ask 'When can we get the leg over?' at a Covid briefing? It was genuinely hilarious, and tbh it was the funny people needed). But she does get affected by the doom. She's spoken of having to sit in her car and break down over some of the hardest stories.
    I think her humanity makes her a really great journo, in my humble opinion.

There's a sense of 'hope' when she delivers the 'doom and gloom' stories. With George Lee he's delighted to tell the bad news.
    There's a disgusting glee on his face when he does so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement