Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Ireland's worst journalist?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Can't believe only one mention of Jim Cusack, albeit maybe because he is seemingly gone now.

The Gangland thread on CA will occasionally throw up a name from yesteryear, and Googling organised crime stories from the 90s and noughties inevitably throws up a few dingers from Cusack.

To summarise, he's basically the type of bloke who believes stories about dealers selling crisps laced with heroin to children. His articles get the most basic details wrong- names, dates, ages.

I'm no shinner but there's a good, brief run down of just a fraction of the nonsense he has been found out on.

https://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/19270

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Louise O'Neill calmed down a bit, once she got herself a man.

Roisin Ingle is just...

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/r%C3%B3is%C3%ADn-ingle-dear-sister-shame-on-the-men-of-dingle-who-praised-your-rapist-1.4530039

^^^ This is just bait. I refuse to comment any further, because...it's digging up old stories that she obviously KNOWS are not 'rape culture'.

And it's also s**t stirring-you KNOW she wants to say everyone from Kerry is like this.

I'm from Kerry - I can tell you, no rapist, convicted, rumoured or otherwise, was EVER accepted, or excused, for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Sorcha Pollak for never ever questioning the massive holes in these people's stories. I mean where do you even begin with this nonsense? Remind me of those direct flights between Ireland and Zimbabwe, the many many countries in between and what on earth Ireland owes this person.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/i-ve-realised-the-people-in-tullamore-are-calm-and-kind-1.4525114?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 28,937 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm from Kerry - I can tell you, no rapist, convicted, rumoured or otherwise, was EVER accepted, or excused, for their actions.

Except for the GAA official and the retired Garda sergeant who did exactly that in the case widely reported last week presumably?

Except for the GAA official and the retired Garda sergeant who did exactly that in the case widely reported last week presumably?

The retired Garda sergeant is his father.

The GAA club have apologized for the comments made, saying they were done by an individual, not representing the club. But we know that the GAA has a complete arrogance and entitlement issue.

Just look at the Dublin GAA team who didn't care about the welfare of others when they went training during Covid lockdown.
    No masks, no social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20108061.html

“Danny Foley, of Meen, Listowel, sat in the dock at the Circuit Criminal Court, in Tralee, yesterday, awaiting sentence for sexually assaulting a woman, having been found guilty by a jury almost two weeks ago.

A group of 50 people, mainly men and said to be neighbours and friends, trooped into the courtroom and marched up to the accused, in single file. Each man shook his hand – some hugged him warmly, with tears in their eyes. It was witnessed by the 24-year-old victim who cut a lonely figure in the front seat of the public gallery.”

-Edited to include excerpt for those who didn’t want to click the link.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Now its navel-gazing excerpts from her unremarkable life.

Those people were named and shamed down here. They were accepted about as well as a fart in a spacesuit.

The retired Garda sergeant is his father.
    No, his Dad is or was a Garda, but the retired detective sergeant is a different individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Can't believe only one mention of Jim Cusack, albeit maybe because he is seemingly gone now.

The Gangland thread on CA will occasionally throw up a name from yesteryear, and Googling organised crime stories from the 90s and noughties inevitably throws up a few dingers from Cusack.

To summarise, he's basically the type of bloke who believes stories about dealers selling crisps laced with heroin to children. His articles get the most basic details wrong- names, dates, ages.

I'm no shinner but there's a good, brief run down of just a fraction of the nonsense he has been found out on.

https://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/19270

I think once he literally accused Sinn Féin of poisoning the water via some bizzarre theory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Those people were named and shamed down here. They were accepted about as well as a fart in a spacesuit.

No true Kerryman, eh?

No, his Dad is or was a Garda, but the retired detective sergeant is a different individual.

From what I've researched, that individual had served around the country. He seemingly had retired to Kerry. I can't vouch for if he's from there.

It makes sense (sadly) for one of the boys in blue to give a character witness statement.

It makes sense (sadly) for one of the boys in blue to give a character witness statement.

Does it? You’ll have to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

megaten wrote: »
    Is Fintan O' Toole a journalist? He mostly just writes opinion columns I thought.

Yes and what an opinionated B******n he is

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ewan Mackenna was actually providing a worthwhile service by being so anti establishment and constantly pushing back on the status quo. That's always going to piss people off but I found him good value in the world of backslapping official Ireland endorsed journalists.

Its a shame to see him fall off the deep end over covid. His second last podcast from November where he argued with the cancer patient over covid restrictions is an example of him getting everything wrong, yet if you followed him on twitter you'd swear he was a covid nostradameus who had it all figured out from day 1.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yes and what an opinionated B******n he is

The point of opinion pieces is to have opinions, one would opine. Kind of goes with the territory you’d have to imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the guy deserves a medal, is doing god's work. had totally forgotten that name.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Paul Williams has to be the worst, whilst claiming to be a journalist he's pretty much just an expert a S*** stirring. Interesting his Wikipedia profile describes him as an Irish media personality. His stint at newstalk didn't last too long, thank goodness

The point of opinion pieces is to have opinions, one would opine. Kind of goes with the territory you’d have to imagine.

If its an opinion that's remotely coherent and most of his are just up in the air but I guess hot air does generally rise.

Does it? You’ll have to explain.

Sadly, yes... the gardai tends to be almost like a 'brotherhood'. If you saw the documentary about Adrian Donoghue's murder, his colleague took it like losing a brother-not losing a co-worker.
    They literally look out for their own-similar to how family will back up one another. A guy I went to primary school with is a garda. He almost died from a serious illness a few years ago (it was either an infection or meningitis, I don't know the full details). The guys he was in the barracks with kept a rotating vigil by his bedside while he was ill (He recovered, thankfully).

If you ask for help from a colleague, barring anything illegal (with historical exceptions), they'll do it.
    Signing that statement is, imo, a clueless thing to do. I could understand such a statement for something for a far lesser crime. But that's the mindset of the guards.

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    Ewan Mackenna was actually providing a worthwhile service by being so anti establishment and constantly pushing back on the status quo. That's always going to piss people off but I found him good value in the world of backslapping official Ireland endorsed journalists.

Its a shame to see him fall off the deep end over covid. His second last podcast from November where he argued with the cancer patient over covid restrictions is an example of him getting everything wrong, yet if you followed him on twitter you'd swear he was a covid nostradameus who had it all figured out from day 1.

Ewan MacKenna is an unemployable crank and conspiracy theorist operating in the same sphere as Paddy Cosgrave. His Dunphy-Lite thing was never much good to be honest, and that’s why he was a sports journalist. He now has an enormous chip on his shoulder and likes to blame ‘the establishment’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

For me it's Fintan O'Toole as all he does in his writing is state the obvious. Who do you think is Ireland's worst journalist?

Personally, I would tax journalists at 110%, and they would have to contribute €1000 to charity for every article written by them.

Journalists are nasty scum who profit from the pain and suffering of others and often cause more pain and suffering because of their articles.

War journalists though - they deserve to be shot. Which they often are.

Sorry for the rant, it's a subject I have strong views of. There is no such thing as integrity or morality in journalism or in the media in general. They push agendas, destroy whole countries... and they laugh while doing it.

While I have no time for any politicians, they are saints compared to journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

The Sindo is the biggest pile of garbage to masquerade as a serious newspaper in this country. They ran what amounted to a campaign of harassment against John Hume, you had this pillock and Eoghan Harris rimming Bertie every week. Terry Keanes Keane edge which she didn't even write as it turned out. Nowadays it's just obsessed with Z list celebrities.

That clown O'Connor was calling to "Bring Back Bertie" in 2010.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    No true Kerryman, eh?

Because of what it stood for. Every community has these... degenerates, frankly.

In Kilkenny, for example, many years ago, Lavinia Kerwick faced intense pressure to withdraw her claim of sexual assault. She didn't, she took it to court, and despite getting a conviction, he walked free.
    Do you tar the people of Kilkenny with the same brush?

Brian Davey committed rape in Co. Down. Even after his conviction, families rallied round him to help him 'rebuild his life'... despite the fact he was on dating apps to try and find another victim.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/convicted-rapist-brian-davey-banned-21971039

Idiots exist everywhere-but they're not representative of an entire county, or country.

snotboogie wrote: »

A poor man's Eamon Dunphy without the soccer knowledge.

Allegedly got hit with a Legal Writ over comments she made on Twitter about an alleged, serious sexual battery allegation that implicated a well-known music/cultural journalist.

She made a half-hearted grovelling apology, cleaned up her Twitter, and then disappeared from posting.

That clown O'Connor was calling to "Bring Back Bertie" in 2010.

Someone posted an article from Magill in another thread...

O'Connor was the guy using the 'N' word, as well as other insensitive remarks regarding travellers (The 'Kn**ker' word) and then tried to start a fight in the middle of the street with protesters.
    (I can't remember what that protest was over.... I want to say 'End Capitalism' or similar... but doubt it).
    Allegedly got hit with a Legal Writ over comments she made on Twitter about an alleged, serious sexual battery allegation that implicated a well-known music/cultural journalist.

She made a half-hearted grovelling apology, cleaned up her Twitter, and then disappeared from posting.

Yeah... she dun messed up there. Surprised the UCD 200 folks didn't sue her as well.

Here's the thing about character references for rapists. If you're good looking you'll be popular and the community will rally around you and maybe even turn on your 'victim'.

If you're ugly or a low status immigrant, then the community will turn on you.

Life is all about looks and there is a brutal hierarchy out there.

Like that Traveller family, who's father raped every single daughter... their cries fell on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Here's the thing about character references for rapists. If you're good looking you'll be popular and the community will rally around you and maybe even turn on your 'victim'.

If you're ugly or a low status immigrant, then the community will turn on you.

It’s a strange one alright, although not that surprisingly.

If the perpetrator is whyte male you hear all the cries of ‘liar’, ‘attention seeker’, ‘regret isn’t rape’, ‘look at what she was wearing’ from the “usual suspects” but if it’s a case where the prep is a black, or Arab, man the cries are all about ‘protect our womxn!’ and ‘send them all back!’.

It’s a ridiculous double standard.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Someone pointed out, about ten years or so ago, how the IRish media had this disturbing undercurrent of racism to stories on certain topics.
    Like, if you watched a piece on RTE news about overcrowing in schools, with full classrooms, it would cut to the footage of children who were not white, or who's parents were not originally from IReland.

Now there's almost a 'fear' of discussing anyone with a different skin colour, outside of 'ye're all racist'. Which, I'd argue, is inherently racist itsself. IF you only see an individual for the colour of their skin, you're not seeing the person as a whole.

Even the term 'People of Colour' is just another way to say 'Coloured people'... the latter is something that is completely frowned upon now... but you change the order of words, and you confuse people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement