Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three dead as woman beheaded in France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I did engage with it. You posted a load of unsubstantiated waffle. In fact much of it has already been rebuked on many occasions.

I asked you several questions which you didn't answer.

Video games do not make people violent. Proven fact. I don't think UFC or MMA does either but I haven't seen many studies into it.

While both may attract some violent people it does not turn people violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Why not ?
    You dont need to believe is some invisible man in the sky to have decency, morals, compassion, show kindness to others etc.

In fact its the people who believe in this factious made up myth of a god that are more likely to be nutters.

If someone tells me their god is better than someone else's god, I dont get upset at those people. I pity them.

Do you know what proponents of scientific atheism did to people? Partic ortho christians, jews and muslims in russia?

BloodBath wrote: »
    I did engage with it. You posted a load of unsubstantiated waffle. In fact much of it has already been rebuked on many occasions.

I asked you several questions which you didn't answer.

Video games do not make people violent. Proven fact. I don't think UFC or MMA does either but I haven't seen many studies into it.

While both may attract some violent people it does not turn people violent.

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-games-make-children-violent-according-to-study-2018-10?r=US&IR=T

The fact that video games make children more violent and are addictive cannot be denied there have been MANY studies on this. Many psychologists have warned us about it.

Asian martials arts espose non violence self esteem and respect. They often have an oath or a creed members must take ....

They have better role models.

UFC has conor mc gregor.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/28/its-easy-to-be-seduced-by-ufc-but-violence-will-grow-from-legitimising-the-cage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Why not ?
    You dont need to believe is some invisible man in the sky to have decency, morals, compassion, show kindness to others etc.

In fact its the people who believe in this factious made up myth of a god that are more likely to be nutters.

If someone tells me their god is better than someone else's god, I dont get upset at those people. I pity them.

World War 2 had no religious element whatsoever. Both Hitler and Stalin were atheists.

60m+ people killed, including many millions by genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The video game mantra is nonsense.

They do not make people violent any more than violent movies can make people be so.

They may attract people who already have violent tendencies. But that is not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Fair enough.

I am not sure being an atheist has made you a better person though.

first off you dont know me and to make a statement like this shows how people like you will stoop to insulting others if you think it suits your agenda.

I work, pay taxes, commit no crimes, care for my fellow man, have decency, respect, compassion etc....I dont need to believe in an invisible man to have these qualities. They are not mutually exclusive.

As for your nonsense that video games make people violent, utter horsesh1t, by your logic all the people who came back after the world wars would be going around beheading women since they were surrounded by real violence.
    Those people who witnessed violence up close and personal did not come home and attack people

Tony EH wrote: »
    The video game mantra is nonsense.

They do not make people violent any more than violent movies can make people be so.

They may attract people who already have violent tendencies. But that is not the same thing.
    The difference between before exposure and after has been measured.

Its been particularly measured in the states. They have so many shootings there is a hot topic.

I am not denying Islam doesn't have an issue. But its not ALL islams issue.

America also has an issue with domestic terrorism. Its almost ALWAYS men though in BOTH cultures.

Strazdas wrote: »
    World War 2 had no religious element whatsoever. Both Hitler and Stalin were atheists.

Actually Hitler was Catholic and stated that a strong church was essential to societal stability. Although he himself wasn't strongly bent toward organised religion himself.

Joseph Stalin trained to be a priest.

Neither men were atheist.

Ah yes, that old deflection.

How does national wars equate to an atheist not killing for an imaginary person in the sky.

Its not like britain declared war on germany cos they were bored.

World war 2 had noting to do with atheism either.
    Its a circular argument used as a deflection tactic by people who get hurt when people laugh at the notion of an invisible man

Actually Hitler was Catholic and stated that a strong church was essential to societal stability. Although he himself wasn't strongly bent toward organised religion himself.

Joseph Stalin trained to be a priest.

Scientific atheism was a HUGE force in russia. This is historic fact.

It was a huge driving force in the creation of the gulags.

Stalin having trained to be a priest didnt stop him locking up priests jews and muslims in the name of atheism.

They sent the Russian clergy to the gulags, they discriminated against believers in hiring and education.

• Advertisement

The difference between before exposure and after has been measured.

Its been particularly measured in the states. They have so many shootings there is a hot topic.

I am not denying Islam doesn't have an issue. But its not ALL islams issue.

America also has an issue with domestic terrorism. Its almost ALWAYS men though in BOTH cultures.

The only "measure" I've seen is in the immediate term, where the possibility of frustration may cause some people to act. Smashing a keyboard for example. But that isn't evidence that video games "make" people violent on any real degree.

Missing a bus could cause the same frustrated reaction from the same people who are disposed to such things.

The problem is and always has been the people, not the games/books/movies.

world war 2 was not fought over atheism.

I have seen some deflecting on this forum, but this takes the biscuit

Scientific atheism was a HUGE force in russia. This is historic fact.

It was a huge driving force in the creation of the gulags.

Stalin having trained to be a priest didnt stop him locking up priests jews and muslims in the name of atheism.

That's a fact.

That's a fact.
    Who cares ?

Stalin sent believers to the gulags.

And you really think stalin was a true christian? Love thy neighbor.

Yeah right.

Your denial to defend your own life choices is negating their suffering.

How do YOU know what they really believed?

You don't seem to have read the state enforced scientific atheism that was all over ever state in Russia. You couldn't go to school if you had a religion. You couldn't be a teacher or a civil servant. You would be lucky not to be locked up.

And it went on FAR AFTER stalin.Khrushchev did it too!

That's a fact.

Absolutely.

They will be telling us next the jews that were killed was not a religious thing either.

Who cares ?

Yeah right.

Pay attention to the discussion.

The claim was Hitler and Stalin were atheists. They weren't.

Who cares ?

Yeah right.

How do YOU know what they really believed?

You don't seem to have read the state enforced scientific atheism that was all over ever state in Russia. You couldn't go to school if you had a religion. You couldn't be a teacher or a civil servant. You would be lucky not to be locked up.

Enlighten me, what has stalins "supposed" atheism, got to do with Russia joining the second world war.

This should be good.

Absolutely.

They will be telling us next the jews that were killed was not a religious thing either.
    Jews were killed in communist russia too.

Jews were killed in communist russia too.

So ?

Are you deliberatley trying to deflect ?

or have you got so confused you do not even know what you are complaining about.

The post below was the post being discussed

It was a stupid post that was completely inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Anyone who is an apologist for Islam or who makes facetious comparisons to the Catholic Church, IRA should actually spend a year in an Islamic country to put their beliefs to the test.

If you are a believer in classic liberal values (rights of people regardless of gender/class/sexuality) and support immigration from Islamic countries*, you will be the reason for the inevitabtle death, sexual assaults, ghettoisation.

*I dont actually think most of these people actually believe what they say and are just doing it to gain woke points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-games-make-children-violent-according-to-study-2018-10?r=US&IR=T

The fact that video games make children more violent and are addictive cannot be denied there have been MANY studies on this. Many psychologists have warned us about it.

Asian martials arts espose non violence self esteem and respect. They often have an oath or a creed members must take ....

They have better role models.

UFC has conor mc gregor.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/28/its-easy-to-be-seduced-by-ufc-but-violence-will-grow-from-legitimising-the-cage

The internet link said it so it must be true! You haven't got a clue.

There's just as many studies showing no link of increased violence from video game consumption so the science is obviously extremely flawed. Overall violent crime by adolescents has dropped dramatically in the last 20 years while video game consumption, especially increasingly realistic violent ones has massively increased.

How does this make sense if video games increases violent behavior?

Video games have ratings just like movies. Who's letting these children play violent video games?

Conor Mcgreggor is 1 person in a massive sport. There's plenty of good role models in UFC and MMA. Choosing 1 of the worst as a representation of the entire sport is beyond ignorant.

Again MMA has been pretty big for over 10 years yet the adolescent violent crime figures have massively dropped in that time period.

Your over simplified view of the world with no real understanding of anything you're talking about is alarming but not unusual for you.

Don't bother replying, it's already off topic enough.

Enlighten me, what has stalins "supposed" atheism, got to do with Russia joining the second world war.

This should be good.

Firstly its clear you don't understand the govt regime in soviet russia. So it might be impossible for you to understand.

Much of the time russia was really governed by troikas.

Its also clear you don't understand how many jews were murdered by bolshevik armies. Its now understood to be a war crime.

Similarly russia had many leaders espousing scientific atheism.

This should be good.
    Russia joined the second world war because they knew hitler was going to invade russia.

So ?

State atheism is as bad as state religion. Especially when it kills people.

Russia joined the second world war because he knew hitler was going to invade russia.

Russia invaded Poland in 1939, while still under a non aggression pact with Germany.

Russia invaded Poland in 1939, while still under a non aggression pact with Germany.
    No the USSR instigated the fine print of the non aggression pact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

These people take offence too easily.
    It's a cartoon of some guy. Why must christians be expected to accept mockery of their God yet muslims can get all het up when the shoes on the other foot and then off they go beheading innocent people.
    Truly a sad radical group that others are afraid to deal with.

Russia joined the second world war because they knew hitler was going to invade russia.

So not because of atheism.

Well done

I knew we would get there

These people take offence too easily.
    I.

I agree.

However the cartoon isn't about blasphemy.Shias don't actually care about imagery. And there are films with muhammed in them.

The cartoons are very racist. They depict muslims as ugly ..hairy ...predators.

But yes they take offence easily. Its arab culture.

Manners tho...go a long way within that culture.Although its not always genuine.

• Advertisement

So not because of atheism.

Well done

I knew we would get there
    I never thought stalin got involved in ww2 because of atheism.

I am saying bolsheviks murdered jews because of it. And many troikas persecuted orthodox christians because of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement