Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaslighting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Yes it was horrific and chipped away at me bit by bit. It wouldn't be every day or every week. He was more clever than that.

It is the coldness with which he hid things and could sit and watch my upset and confusion which makes me think he is a bit of a psychopath. He would aay "I don't know what way your head works but there is something not right with you" Gives me a cold chill down my spine even thinking of it now.

That's horrendous! I bet you didn't think it at the time, but thank god he's gone!

Deliberately messing with someone's head for you own amusement is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Human nature is fascinating in away.

Someone I know was bullied in a work situation the routs of it were that they had a better qualification than the other person, the other person had very minimal qualifications and was most likely afraid of losing their job, now instead of doing something positive and getting better qualifications, they bully the other person.

It may come from the fear that there is never enough to go around and there will never be enough.

Also, someone, I know who is generally happily married but her husband hates that she loves her job, he hated his job and wanted her to constantly say she only went to work for the money, he had issues that she had a degree and he did not, she could not share that she enjoyed her work, had friends in work. Aagin instead of being happy for his wife and supporting her he was taking his own anger, and hatred of his job out on his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I’ve never had mental health issues thankfully and would consider myself quite logical. I went through it with my ex wife, and still am to a degree, and it’s a horrible experience.

She is so good at it that at times I just felt completely mentally disoriented and started questioning if stuff I knew happened actually happened. For example, she hit me several times and afterwards apologised for it. When the relationship started to break, she swore blind it never happened and that she’d never admitted it. She was so convincing that I started to question whether it happened even though I knew it did. That was just one example. Other examples have gone as far as the Gardaí. And as someone else said, she acted so normally with friends and neighbours that none of them believed she could be capable of the things she did.

I was really struggling with it and described the behaviour on another forum and someone said it was gaslighting. I’d never heard the term before so Googled it. I can’t tell you the relief when I could finally make some sense of her behaviour.

I don’t think she’s deliberately decided to gaslight me, I think it’s something she learned from her mother and that she uses as a defence mechanism. It’s really horrible to be on the end of it and no matter how mentally strong you think you are, it can be quite debilitating.

That is exactly the way it was with me too. You really do start to question yourself amd wonder if the other person is right. And yes, neighbours and friends can hardly believe it of them because they are so helpful and polite.

I hope you are ok now and have the support you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Yes it was horrific and chipped away at me bit by bit. It wouldn't be every day or every week. He was more clever than that.

It is the coldness with which he hid things and could sit and watch my upset and confusion which makes me think he is a bit of a psychopath. He would aay "I don't know what way your head works but there is something not right with you" Gives me a cold chill down my spine even thinking of it now.

Have you had any long term effects? Victims that I mentioned found it still affects them a few years down the line. It has carried over into new employment for one and the other retired early as he could not cope.

The woman found self esteem courses run by OT way more helpful than talk therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

That is exactly the way it was with me too. You really do start to question yourself amd wonder if the other person is right. And yes, neighbours and friends can hardly believe it of them because they are so helpful and polite.

I hope you are ok now and have the support you need.

Likewise.

The thing with neighbours and friends is that you think they are logical, good people. So if they don't believe or see what's going on, then can you be right and everyone else is wrong? And I've always sort of worked on the basis that if everyone else is saying something and you're saying something else, then you're probably wrong. It was and is such a strange experience.

There was one incident that a mate of mine witnessed where she was in full flow and then sent me texts afterwards accusing me of all sorts. And he would have liked her up to that and has always been very straight with me even when it's something I didn't want to hear. And he just said "That's absolutely not what just happened. I saw it and if that's what she's claiming and telling people, she's a liar." Again, that was relief because it was the first time someone else had seen it happen from start to finish and saw what I saw.

Still living with it for the moment (thanks coronavirus) but she hasn't been as bad recently as she was.

• Advertisement

That's horrendous! I bet you didn't think it at the time, but thank god he's gone!

Deliberately messing with someone's head for you own amusement is sick.

I was heartbroken when he left but it was the best thing that could have happened. It has left its mark though. I am definitely less confident and have trust issues. It has also affected my ability to deal with confrontation in my personal and professional life. I try not to let him have that power and influence over me but it's difficult.

Have you had any long term effects? Victims that I mentioned found it still affects them a few years down the line. It has carried over into new employment for one and the other retired early as he could not cope.

The woman found self esteem courses run by OT way more helpful than talk therapy.

I had just posted that it has long term affects. I was in a situation last week in work where a colleague undermined me in front of another colleague. Instead of standing up for myself, telling her to never speak to me that way again and certainly not in front of someone else I felt my courage leave me. I just said okay, point taken, that's fine and then went to my office and cried for ages. I couldn't eat for the rest of the day and didn't sleep for 2 nights because of my anger at myself for taking the **** i knew i didn't deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I had just posted that it has long term affects. I was in a situation last week in work where a colleague undermined me in front of another colleague. Instead of standing up for myself, telling her to never speak to me that way again and certainly not in front of someone else I felt my courage leave me. I just said okay, point taken, that's fine and then went to my office and cried for ages. I couldn't eat for the rest of the day and didn't sleep for 2 nights because of my anger at myself for taking the **** i knew i didn't deserve.
    spit in her coffee...after covid .......actually no ...covid that bitch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

spit in her coffee...after covid .......actually no ...covid that bitch!

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

Experienced it last year at the hands of my own mother. Ive suffered from Mental Health issues for as long as I can remember due abusive and controlling parents. I finally realised what exactly was going on but was met with "youre not well", "youre not better" despite me trying to work on my issues at the time. Ive since given both my parents the heave-ho in a bid to finally right my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I was heartbroken when he left but it was the best thing that could have happened. It has left its mark though. I am definitely less confident and have trust issues. It has also affected my ability to deal with confrontation in my personal and professional life. I try not to let him have that power and influence over me but it's difficult.

Having a very happy second marriage has made me realise how many people are in abusive relationships ranging from mild to severe and put up with it.

It will all work out alright for you it just takes time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I bet. When someone messes with your head it must be hard to rebuild and trust your own decisions after that. It will take time I expect. Have faith in yourself. You were worked over by someone in a very cruel way. You did nothing wrong and it wasnt your decisions that were the issue.

My dad does it.

More to my mom than me though. He knows i would eat the head off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Gaslighters —
    will often accuse you of gaslighting.

Wow.
    aaah im kidding.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Likewise.

The thing with neighbours and friends is that you think they are logical, good people. So if they don't believe or see what's going on, then can you be right and everyone else is wrong? And I've always sort of worked on the basis that if everyone else is saying something and you're saying something else, then you're probably wrong. It was and is such a strange experience.

There was one incident that a mate of mine witnessed where she was in full flow and then sent me texts afterwards accusing me of all sorts. And he would have liked her up to that and has always been very straight with me even when it's something I didn't want to hear. And he just said "That's absolutely not what just happened. I saw it and if that's what she's claiming and telling people, she's a liar." Again, that was relief because it was the first time someone else had seen it happen from start to finish and saw what I saw.

Still living with it for the moment (thanks coronavirus) but she hasn't been as bad recently as she was.

It is now recognised as a form of DV. I have worked in the area of DV and not surprisingly, there is not a lot of support for men out there.

My advice to you now is have it recognised officially what she is doing by speaking to a recognised support service. The reason I am saying this is women are very adept at twisting things and having everyone convinced that they are the victim and the man is the abuser.

Please do this now for your own sake especially as you have the support of a witness and as ye are still under the same roof

Gaslighters —
    will often accuse you of gaslighting.
    Always.

My dad accuses my mom of it. Says she is manipulative.

I had an argument about the black population of the US once ..i was correct it took me emailing him 3 different us census sites for him to admit i was right with my figures.

And i have his admittance in writing as i made him email me it back.

Yes ...i never give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

That is absolutely horrific. Thankfully it is now a recognised form of psychological abuse, is a prosecutable offence and does warrant a custodial sentence.

I actually hope you a troll if not I really hope your victims report it

“Victims”
    Not every case is as drastic as some of the ones described here. It totally depends on principles and boundaries.

Jesus I wish I could give you a hug. Next time you are att you GP or even ring them now ask for a referral to your local day hospital OT team for a self esteem course. The courses are free and it's not just victims of DV that attend.

Some don't even require GP referral, there is usually a short waiting list and they do certs for work too if it's during the day

Jequ0n wrote: »
    “Victims”
    Not every case is as drastic as some of the ones described here. It totally depends on principles and boundaries.

You do you.
    I am sure you are in fact pretty innocent :)
    Beware the evil eye of karma tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

“Victims”

if someone goes out of their way to make you believe you are not of sound mind I would call them victims

statto25 wrote: »
    if someone goes out of their way to make you believe you are not of sound mind I would call them victims
    True.

All they can do is look up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Gaslighters-
    can sometimes claim to be victims of gaslighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Gaslighters-
    can sometimes claim to be victims of gaslighting.

I’m not sure if you’re on the wind up or not but it’s a very fair point. In my case, I was (am) going through a marriage breakdown so a lot of stuff gets thrown around and we inevitably had arguments over some stuff that happened because I had one view and she had another view.

I’ve asked myself the question about whether I was guilty of gaslighting her and I can hand on heart say I’ve never once made something up or never once denied something happened that actually happened. I can prove, through stuff that’s been written, that my ex-wife can’t say the same thing. That doesn’t mean I’ve always behaved in a way that I’m proud of but I’ve never lied and throughout this whole sorry mess, that’s been something I’ve clung to. If this goes the whole way to court, I don’t have to lie or try to cover my lies.

My pleasure to have made the world a better place. You are welcome

No one ever makes the world a better place.
    That would be way overestimating the reach and effect of your actions.

The world is still a ****hole.

Unfortunately ..:(

• Site Banned Posts: 16 Nykay

Absolutely. More than once. Best reaction is to call them out on it directly. You just sit back and ask, "tell me, do you gaslight people often, or am I the first?".
    Yes but a lot of people won't even know what gaslighting is.

Has anyone ever had this done to them?

Just horrible behaviour thrown at you and when you point out how hurtful and nasty their behaviour is they make up excuses that don't make sense and no genuine apology. Or an apology but no change in the behaviour. Then if you react badly at all, they blame your reaction and turn it around on you.
    Could you be more specific about what happened to you?

My dad accuses my mom of it. Says she is manipulative.
    I think it's more fun to outwit your bully without referring to the tactics they're using while you're taking them on.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Did the punishment really fit the crime?

Psychological abuse is just as bad. If not worse than physical abuse. In many cases victims do not realise they are being abused until after long lasting damage has been done.

With physical abuse, especially in the case of DV the victims recognise what is happening and are more inclined to leave the relationship and report it.

With psychological abuse there is no physical damage or scars, however the mental and emotional damage is extremely long lasting and a lot more difficult to heal, that's if it can be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Fella at work used to do it to me. One example when I would talk to someone he would start sing some **** song called "All the lies that you told me". Would try other subtle put downs that no one else would notice.

Was thinking it was just a coincidence until I realised it wasn't.

Obviously very insecure person who was jealous of me getting on with people.

Put him in his place and don't have any dealings with him. Life too short to put up with insecure mentalists imposing themselves on your life.

Advertisement