Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I haven't started to regulate them yet, one or two I've had serviced have been regulated. My view of watches is that they are marvelous miniature machines that perform an important function, their form follows function. Accuracy or a reputation for accuracy once was an significant selling point, but not any more, we have moved to intangeible selling points.

I have good selection of electric,electronic and quartz, I can understand their operation and appreciate the technology. I invested 30€ in that biaozhun meter and it's a bit of fun to measure or track accuracy. Things I've learned from it and the watch check app are;

my 9F quartz lives up to it's spec, it's error in a year is on a par with COSC for a day.

A radio synced Casio is a sloppy quartz (0.5 s/d) during the day.

High end twin quartz Seiko lose their mojo after 40 years, but for brief periods they can get it back, it's an out of error band or aged crystal issue. There may be no point in regulating.

Everyday quartz watch accuracy improves during the summer as the mean ambient rises .

My GP is so well anti mag shielded the meter doesn't detect it's pulse edge.

And now, a bit of snorkel jacket anaroking.

These three watches were synchronized two months ago, two stayed together one wandered of at its own pace. They are 45 years old.

The meter shows,

A +5.4 per day Ronin.

A negative 0.0, it's one of it's better days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My GP is so well anti mag shielded the meter doesn't detect it's pulse edge.

I remember reading in WUS IIRC where someone said the same about those GP movements. That you would struggle to see any pulse from it and apparently it was down to the very different design of the GP stepping motor which was and remains unique(and too expensive to make at the time so never caught on). Again apparently if you stick one on a regular timegrapher it'll pick up the audible "tick" and give a reading that way. Though I found the loudness of the tick very much depended on the case type.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Its been a very long week.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

A beautiful Saturday afternoon with the Sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭893bet

very nice. Don’t remember seeing that on the forum before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’m sun bathing for a week and brought these 3 . Wife thinks it’s a “ridiculous amount of watches to bring for 7 days “ but i pointed out that I brought less watches than she brought shoes which ended the conversation fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Funnily enough, I am readying for a very similar chat with the Mrs before we head off in a few weeks.

My watch travel case only has 2 slots, though there probably is enough time to have a watch roll delivered before we head off and if you need 3 for 7 days? I"LL need at least 5 for 14 🤔😉

On a serious note?

Enjoy the holiday and well wear on that particular trio.

Brave....reckon it would take 10 seconds get a hotel safe open in a place where the staff know when you are out of the room and can see I am wearing different watches. I am a bring one good watch kinda person after all all my wife's shoes cost about 3 links on a Rolex. My insurance doesnt cover a bunch of watches in a hotel safe....think it wont happen....ask "Time" on here lost a Rose gold AP Royal oak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭893bet

I share that sentiment. Not sure I would even bring one these days. And if i did it would be a German one that one one would recognise. I am all for wearing watches, ain’t no safe queens here. But holidays is out for me. I want to relax and not be looking over my shoulder. And before someone pops in with the “insure for all risks”. I think you under estimate how easy it is get paid from insurance for a 10k watch that gets stolen either off your wrist or other wise.

I keep them for the cows now!

Attempted mugging on TZ the other day in Spain.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?512027-If-it-happened-to-me-it-could-happen-to-you/page2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,051 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'll bring my JC on holidays this month, will do lots of swimming and watersports with it on no bother. I do agree with Fitz' point though, I would only bring the one (and wear it 24/7). I really should get a new valuation done though as the watch is now worth several thousand more than the old one says. And I know for a fact that the insurer would not pay more than what they have as the valuation.

I'm not completely gung ho though. If I were to go to London, I wouldn't bring it. And the likes of Spain, not sure.

I dont see the point in buying watches and not wearing them . When I buy a watch the money is gone , I don’t see it as an asset or store of cash . It’s a watch , or a big boys toy or a non required item . Of course I don’t want to lose it but I like wearing them so I’m not going to travel without one just because they might get lost .if I lose it ,it’s gone and that’s it . You didn’t buy your Porsche as a good financial decision. You spent money on it knowing the money is gone , It’s the same thought process really.

I would view your collection differently though to what I’ve said above. Yours are too expensive for me and I just wouldn’t be able to wear them.If I lost an €80k Patek it would hurt. It deserves a lot more babying than a 5k panerai .I envy your lack of care for them when your mucking out cows .

Thats the right idea . I scratched the ceramic bezel on my sub today while snorkelling. So next time I’m in work and bored , I’ll notice the scratch and remember today .I foolishly thought ceramic bezels don’t scratch but I know better now.

@scwazrh - "if I lose it ,it’s gone and that’s it" - that mean you don't have them insured?

Fair play, you're doing well in life financially if you could lose a €12k watch and it wouldn't really bother you. I guess I could take that sort of a hit myself, but it would hurt and then I wouldn't be able to justify buying another one of that value, it would be the end of 5 figure watches for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,870 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Are you sure it’s scratched? Try the pen end of an eraser on it you might be surprised .

Scwarzh "I dont see the point in buying watches and not wearing them" - exactly, the two in the safe are not being worn so whats the point bringing them except some unnecessary sartorial need to change watches. I am all for wearing your watches but I am not really into bringing a bunch on holidays, diluting the wear between them and leaving them vulnerable. Dont think the conflation of "its good to wear you watches" is the same as "its good to bring a bunch on holidays, through an airport twice and leave them unattended all day".

Scwarzh "You didn’t buy your Porsche as a good financial decision" - I actually have two of them, wouldnt want either damaged or lost

No they are insured and obviously I don’t want to lose them.I certainly don’t mean that I don’t care if I lose it but anyone that buys a watch can afford to lose that value of the watch otherwise you would put the money into something secure .I’m financially a long way behind many here based on reading between the lines , not that it matters .

Fitz - so whats the point bringing them except some unnecessary sartorial need to change watches.

I dress like a hobo so it’s not sartorial.I do like to swap watches a lot though.

I actually have two of them, wouldnt want either damaged or lost

losing my watch roll would be less of a loss than the depreciation on your two Porsches each year so we’re both showing a healthy disrespect for our wallets .

@scwazrh - "anyone that buys a watch can afford to lose that value of the watch otherwise you would put the money into something secure"

Something secure, like what? a state guaranteed bank account that pays no interest and loses 10% per year in value because of inflation? Pretty much everything I have money in has gone down substantially in the last year in real terms. Except the Rolex. And both my electric cars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dress like a hobo

Meet your twin. Well, more a hipster hobo. 😁

TBH I never used to be concerned on holidays or other jaunts abroad, or evenings imbibing. I'd be more cautious now that the watch thing has gone mainstream, more people buying much more expensive watches and all that getting onto the scum radar. That said none of my watches could be confused with a gold sub or anything like that so would likely go under the scum radar anyway.

When it's night out in new surroundings I'd usually wear this;

Small, beer proof(tested and certified), can take a smack and scum might get a hundred quid for it from a fence. Plus since the vintage market has gone softer than a nonagenarian in a bordello, what once would have been 6-800 quid to replace is now more like 200. 👍️

TBH if I had Pateks and AP's I doubt I'd wear them nearly so casually, insurance or no. I'd be extremely dubious of hotels and hotel "safes". Fair play to those who do.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Funny how things can go alright. Who'd have thunk the price rises in used cars and "classics" would have happened in such a short time. My old yoke is worth over twice what it was three years ago(and over twice what I paid). On the other hand my vintage watches have lost value over the last five or so years from the peak. If I'd bought at the peak or as it was rising I'd be running losses all over the place. As it stands I got most of them before the madness or got very lucky with ebay listings written by drunken dyslexics with potato cams so if I sold the lot now I'd be well in the gravy relatively speaking. The equivalent in the Rolex world would be buying a couple of Subs at discount in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

First thing I thought when I saw scwazrhs holiday watch roll was what if they get nicked or lost. When I go on holiday I usually bring three. The Aqualand, which is de riguer when diving. Either the Doxa or Seiko monster for the Orange, my GP or accutron in case we're dining somewhere that enforces a dress code( The Fariones in Lanza for example, they quite rightly refused me entry to the dining room once, I go prepared since)

Post edited by njburke on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Grand so based on the above... I'll only take 1 watch on holiday then 😉

Now to choose, I think it's gonna be the Omega GMT but I'm open to something else 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

My Hamilton 42mm Khaki Field Auto Chrono

Ref - H71616535

Not sure how the conversation turned to depreciation on cars? Cant do anything about depreciation on watches or cars, happens regardless of what anyone does, its an unavoidable risk of ownership. It is more a discussion of avoidable loss due to theft, or damage. I just find risk to property and my precious holiday time far greater than any advantage of changing watches for whatever reason. Also dont want to have to explain myself to customs if I get stopped.

The loss of a watch may not cause me financial stress, but it will cause me mental stress dealing with it unless I just throw my hand up, tell nobody and chalk it down to experiance...hell the airline lost my luggage on my last holiday and it took a precious day of holiday ringing people, filling in forms, making declarations, waiting for stuff to show up, which I could have done without.

But look I am a filthy casual these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Seiko diver usually does it for me. But I have been known to bring along the BF kinetic as well just for swimming in salt water.

I think I will have to consider selling a few watches just to go on an Irish hotel break this summer.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭micks_address

i had a Seiko diver with me last year... spb149 and was perfect for holidays on a nato... this year i'll probably bring my gshock square..

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

I have a GM 2100 1AER arriving next week as a holiday and gardening watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I'm just gonna play it safe and stay home this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

+1 on that.

When holidaying, the SKX009 gets an outing as I know no matter where I end up, it will stand up to the punishment.

If it goes beyond those capabilities, well, that would be an interesting holiday!

• Advertisement

Forever? We stayed home last year. And had an Irish holiday the year before that (laptop with me). I've had 1 day off work in the last 3 years. Got to get outta this place some time! Bit of sun would be nice too, the summer so far has been brutal.

Advertisement