Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭covey123

If you take the (main)Black road route it has an obvious path for about halfway up,but not at all obvious after that and would be very easy to loose your way if misty towards the top which it often is,so make sure its a clear day if it's your first attempt.

Probably a more scenic walk to Lough Curra if you're near enough to that, nothing too taxing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

5am… are ye mad 😉

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭covey123

Yep 😄 actually not the only ones though, there was a group of about 5 coming down just before we got to the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

New beater/holiday watch. I do like my g shocks for daily wear but analogue divers are my favorite type of watch. Citizen BN0150–10E.

The strap seems to be sized for 9 inch wrist and a bit stiff. Much more comfortable and sits better on the Barton elite. Will have to get a black one. I might get something better with a deployment though. Probably will pick up the bracelet for it too. The blue lume is a nice change.

It is quite nice for the money though it a step below a Seiko Prospex it's less than half the price. 60 click bezel and non drilled lugs are main things missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Snap- ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Been a while since I posted, between work and everything I've not had time to post/keep up with watch content. Great news during the week. Had a great experience with Swatch post-sales service. A few of you may be aware my Hamilton Khaki Field messed itself after only 2 months of ownership. Even though I bought it from a questionable grey dealer in the Canary Islands on Chrono (thought it was in EU, listed as Spain), the service was second to none. Dealer was zero help, had a Spanish colleague phone up for me and all.

Swatch had a label to me in less than 12 hours, collected the next day, turned around in about 4 weeks from the UK service centre with a new strap worth €70 (sent watch head only), spring bars and a nifty service case. Zero customs delays or issues. Full service done (was expecting a replacement watch or movement, it's the same one just rebuilt). Main spring was defective and snapped. Hoping it's not indicative of things to come with the modified low beat rate ETA 2824. Aside from the obvious issue with main spring, I have to say winding feel, accuracy etc is above and beyond any of my previous hand wounds (Nomos Alpha Tangente, Stowa Marine 2824). It's flatlining +0spd when I leave dial up overnight after 5 days and a wind daily.

Anyway, what I thought was a catch and release, is now reigniting my passion for watches. Added a Bulang & Sons 20mm leather nato I originally purchased for my Tudor and it's elevated the watch to a new level for me. Sure the strap costs about 33% of the watch, but I don't care, it's a fun beater watch, perfect size and looks great IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭rx8

Arrived yesterday from C24.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wearing this today. And a thought came to me earlier while sitting in traffic...

You know the way the vast majority of chronographs have two buttons? The top one starts and stops the hand, the bottom resets. OK well the two button layout was invented by Longines in the late 1920's, so I asked myself why? Chronographs before had one button. Like a stopwatch. Start, stop, reset. Fine. So why add a second button which requires an extra step and change of finger position to reset? It makes no sense.

But it does when you consider that Longines had also invented the flyback function, whereby you can reset to zero without stopping the timing so you can time a second event. You simply couldn't do that with just one button alone, so they had to add a second button(well being Longines they did produce a one button flyback of sorts that had a constantly running seconds).

This effectively means that all chronos that followed that don't have the flyback complication, which is the vast majority and include Speedies, Daytonas and various TAG's Pateks, AP's et al and MoonSwatches,😜 have no need for that second button at all.

It also begs the question why don't more just have this function? Especially at the expensive end. It's useful and it's not that much extra involved at all to do.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Citizen getting salty again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

So after an aborted attempt to sell its back on the wrist. Dog spent 45 minutes in the dog park and it was too hot for either of us. Honestly its such a nice watch maybe it just I am unable to be happy with anything long term, I have had this a while now. Had a long chat with my dealer and suffice to say the market is in disarray, nobody know whats going on or what will happen. Unless you fire sale nothing selling. "Cheaper" watches are still trading but over 20k buyers and sellers are spooked and ultra cautious. Do have an offer to swap this AP for a solid rose gold daytona which is tempting but honestly I dont know anymore, AP is a bit more different and unusual.

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FWIW Fitz and just my humble of course, your AP is ten times the watch a Daytona is. That's nothing against a Daytona itself, but even if one were cased in unicorn ivory the AP would still be the better watch on every metric. Never mind that you can actually read the time at a glance on the AP.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭scwazrh

So did they say what’s it actually worth at the moment ? As in what price would it sell for? I know your not going to fire sale it but if it’s listed at €65k and not selling it’s obviously not worth €65k at current market .Is current market €50 or €60ish? Did you shop around any other dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know that on monetary value, the gold Daytona might be close to parity with your AP but, it's not at all as nearly good a watch IMO.

On stuff not selling? I am thinking your watch was in Belfast? I have a far lesser chrono there at the moment too and same story. It's there about 3 months one expression of interest and no follow up.

I'll leave it there another while yet, I'm in no rush to sell and I have bigger fish to fry at the mo in any case.

Onto photos! I've decided the GMT deffo has to go on holiday and the 2nd slot will be my U2-W. They may even get a dive or 2 in if I can convince my son to give it a go. On the U2-W, I love the lume on this one if they'd only kept the GMT it'd be a near perfect watch IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Nothing is selling so there are nothing to go on, and there are not a ton of them out there to go off. Its a confidence thing. For me the watch is worth retail and lucky I am in it below that so my inclination to fire sale is non existent unless a interesting trade came along. Precious Rolex doing worse again and there are a lot of them about. I would let it go for somewhere between 55 and 60 on a private but it would want a easy sale. Got some offers from dealers that vary wildly but none at the level where I would let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Nice surprise first thing this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Very nice!

Well, yesterday but today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

whats the model no please, love the colour and i dont have a g shock but the itch is beginning to hurt lol

Its the GBD-200-2ER

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Timekeeping is still solid, but the backlight is no longer working. I'd say it's nearly as cheap to replace the whole watch, so reckon I'll just live with it as is.

• Advertisement

Stolen from the You laugh you Lose thread -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I picked this up at the weekend, really pleased with it.

I'm not sure why the pic is showing sideways…

For me anyway the current Tudor lineup has nicer watches than their parent company Rolex.

Congrats , that’s one of my favourite watches at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Same here, it would be a tough decision on whether to go black or white dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Ive been trying to get a white one for pretty much a year at this stage with no luck but got very lucky with this one. We were in Switzerland and I walked into an AD who was putting it onto the display at the time!

Such great treatment compared with buying at home too, they gave me a Tudor travel case, a Tudor branded pen knife, a candle, some Swiss chocolates and a bottle of champagne!

Can’t go wrong with either .I’ve the panda and the limited edition chrono dark .Only a matter of time till I pick up the reverse panda as well for the full set.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I tend to agree with you on that front Wibbs. I'm very tempted by the Blackbay Pro tbh. I may take a swing into the Cancun AD to try one on. Just to see how it feels.

The local Tudor/Rolex and almost everything else AD looks worth a visit 😮

It's that, or go all in on more Sinn's 😂

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

For me I think I would go white as I have a black dial seamaster already, be nice to have something different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Sitting here looking for inspiration while writing my dissertation on a rare day off and cursing the fact that I ever thought that going back to college would be a good idea. Seiko SPB143 on a very comfy Zuludiver waffle strap.

In the background my trusty Marathon clock is reminding me that the day is slipping by...🙈

Advertisement