Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Same! We are off to Mexico in 3 weeks and we need the break. Sun, good food and some craic, as bad and all as the last couple of years have been?

We are facing a tough run when we get back. That's if we are allowed to go, we are flying out on the 27th but there is a good chance that at an appointment pre then, we may be grounded.

So if we can get away? We are going to party like the last days of Rome 😉 In a decent resort on the Riviera Maya before coming home to what awaits. Mad thing is? 14 days all inclusive in Mexico is still better value than anything local 🤷‍♂️

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mexico sound fantastic Banie and ye well deserve the break. 🙂

Today I went all 1974. As you do.

Had a bit of an issue with this and thought ah feck it's gone and died, but I could see it trying. The stepping motor on these is like a wee propeller suspended between magnets and you have to look very closely to see it trying to spin, but it was. While it has decent enough torque for a quartz(and the time, though the GP 350 is far superior) one problem with this kinda setup is it's kinda floppy, so it has an indexing system to prevent backlash and make sure the seconds hand hits the markers exactly.

This consists of an index wheel with 60 teeny teeth and a pawl the arow points to which engages with them that makes a blonde one look like a giant redwood, adjusted by the dark grey screw that even if you look at it funny the pawl moves. So I turned it so the pawl completely disengaged with said teeth and off she ran and strongly. Well.. because of the oddball stepping motor it would run, but wobbly and every so often run backwards for a few seconds. Like a drunken man trying to walk home. It was getting there, after a fashion. 😁 So I slooooooowly and imperceptibly brought it back in contact. No. Too far, ohhh, ahhhh OK(with my tongue stuck out the corner of my mouth). I got it on the ball indexing away. Sorted. I do not know how guys servicing tuning forks do it and those teeth are literally microscopic.

It's clearly had a couple of services in its life going by the screws and scratches in the caseback. I like to see that. Even though it's a quartz, these were an expensive watch and Omega had ploughed millions(in 70's millions too) into the tech back then and it shows. That circular bit with the numbers is a teeny hologram which was sicfi back then. It's got a timezone function so you can adjust the hour hand(and day) while it's running and by a series of magnets and magic it sets the hour hand to the correct position when you click the crown back in. It has two buttons either side of the crown. The bottom one advances the date, the top if pressed once moves the seconds hand forward in one second intervals, hold it in and it stops the seconds hand, all to get it to set to the exact time. It's very much a quality Omega movement. Back then they could do that I suppose, when you consider their Marine Chronometer had an RRP twelve times that of a Speedmaster. The above Seamaster was twice the price and given they sold them from 74-80 and the numbers still around clearly they sold well. Going by the day wheels a large percentage of them seem to have sold in Germany.

Values these days? Well dealers look 1000 and up depending on condition, box etc. Ebay auctions run to aorund 5-700 depending.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Very interesting, does that index pawl exert a force on the toothed wheel to bias it into forward motion when the pulse arrives?

There must be a hard jewel on the tip of it and why does that not wear out the wheel?

Ive been watching the bidding on a constellation mega quartz, same movement I think but nowhere near the condition of your seamaster. Your watches are in such good condition because you've been selective, I'm relying on luck mostly. Btw, I have that 7458 coming my way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very interesting, does that index pawl exert a force on the toothed wheel to bias it into forward motion when the pulse arrives?

Exactly.

There must be a hard jewel on the tip of it and why does that not wear out the wheel?

Funny enough there isn't. It's just bare steel rounded off. Plus quartz have so little torque compared to a mainspring the forces are absolutely tiny. Even a puff of air from one of those watchmaker dust blower thingies will stop, or slow one down. I've seen quartz movements stopped by the tiniest dust particles and I don't think I've ever seen one with worn pivots or arbours. The industry spotted that early on in the pursuit of cost cutting and started to drop jewels as bearings.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Off for my retinopathy screen appointment and this is me taking a last go at reading the time easily until this evening 🤣

Those dilatory eye drops play havoc on any ability to focus for a few hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Haven't been on holiday in three years and making up for it this year. Been to Florida and I have France and Maldives and Dubai left. Trusty Seamaster Pro done me well in Florida and trust it'll do the same for the rest. Ireland is great when the sun shines (no place like the Irish countryside with a blue sky) but it's just not dependable enough for my liking, need to get away from it to truly appreciate it.

Post edited by Creamy Goodness on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Took the 'treat yourself' mantra a little bit too far on honeymoon recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thats lovely Paddy - is it a new reference or older? I'm on my 3rd affair with a speedmaster. Lovely watch to own and pretty solid in terms of resale value if you ever decide to trade or move on for something else. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Ugly watch co 100m sport in pink for today, they sent me this one to keep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

After a bit of patience I have ended up with this, it's a 7548. At some point in the late 70s Seiko did what VW did with the egolf, they took what they were already making and switched to electric . The mechanics of this watch are from the 6309, so the baseplate has holes for the mainspring arbour but there is no mainspring. Some engineer in Seiko drew a line through a system diagram and said keep this and innovate that.

So my purchase runs and from the dial and hands it looks like water has not been in.Plan is to have it serviced and crystal+gaskets.

Oh, today I'm wearing the lip nautic ski which was bought dead and revived with a donor movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I am on my third one too. For me, it's as someone said here recently (FitzII?), I'm not madly, madly in love with it, but I miss it when it's gone. Right now, I'm glad to have it. I've tended to keep it on a leather stratp or velcro though - I should put it back on the bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Ye all have me thinking about one again.. but maybe a racing dial

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

A Speedmaster Professional has always been my dream watch, so hoping to wear it into the grave or pass it down if we ever have kids.

It's the new 3861 movement in Hesalite. I had looked at the 'Sapphire Sandwich', and while it's utterly beautiful, I felt the Hesalite was much more in keeping with the moonwatch history.

I actually had a used 1861 bought & paid for with Bob's Watches in California, but when I went to collect it I was told it needed to be paid for again via bank transfer, so I had them refund the order and bought the new model from an AD for only about $300 more. I have a couple of straps ordered for it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Changed watches today for the first time in over a month. Back on the Speedmaster myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got this for my birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

Holiday watch arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭dakar

Not quite seven samurai, but I’m getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Orange dial diver is something I need

I have an orange seestern doxa I'd move on if you fancied trying it. Hasn't been worn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Hi folks.

Not my watch but a friend was asking if I knew anything about it. His dad bought it in the 70's I believe. Would the hivemind (Wibbs) have any notion about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Google lens says it's a 60s Chronosport Comnputergraph, 38mm, 13mm thick, Valjoux 7733

Could be worth a couple grand 😀

What Unk said. 😁 Though a couple of grand would be more like dealer prices. The specific divers and ones for yachtists and sixties ones can go for that alright(IIRC the 70's ones say "computer" the 60's ones "computergraph"). Very cool watch. 👌 Fun* fact: they were owned for a time in the 80's IIRC by one Helmut Sinn, yep that Sinn.

*may not be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

New watch came in the post today... This one is for fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Well it’s bright anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Yeah, the display is slick. The colour might not be for everyone, but the display is the best I've seen.onna digital watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭scwazrh

”The colour might not be for everyone”

Thats the thing with G shocks , they’re a cheap fun watch not to be taken overly serious .The display is great on that .I’ve a white one which probably wouldn’t be most people’s choice but it’s something different, also have bright red one .

• Advertisement

Pulled out the steinhart for sneaky Monday pint

Advertisement