Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 254 - Khabib v Gaethje

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Well he did tap, before going night night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Well he did tap, before going night night.

You sure? The ref didn't seem to spot him tapping! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's still making the weight if the rules allow for 155.4 or 155.9 to be considered 155. .

But in that case the scales wouldn’t balance when the guy jumps on (as they’d be set to 155).
    He’d call out 155 not 155.9 also.
    The example I gave was Khabib being over 155, so it would balance but close enough so it’s acceptable.

It’s reasonable to think that the guy can tell the margin by the reaction of the bar. Shame there’s was no guys missing weight to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »
    But in that case the scales wouldn’t balance when the guy jumps on (as they’d be set to 155).
    The example I gave was Khabib being over 155, so it would balance but close enough so it’s acceptable.

It’s reasonable to think that the guy can tell the margin by the reaction of the bar. Shame there’s was no guys missing weight to compare.

Alvarez and Cowboy Oloveira missed weight if you're any to compare mellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It was just a lot quicker than everyone else so he seemed to be a lot more capable of 'reading' the movement of the bar in a way he wasn't for others.

Probably hard to gauge anything from Alvarez missing weight cos he took longer than anyone else to settle on 159.5 :pac:

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Alvarez and Cowboy Oloveira missed weight if you're any to compare mellor.

Yeah I remembered that after I posted. Watched Alvarez just there. But as Alf said, there was a lot of fluting about to get up to 159.5

I did notice that when somebody was 186 or 206 etc the scale was pre-set though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yeah I remembered that after I posted. Watched Alvarez just there. But as Alf said, there was a lot of fluting about to get up to 159.5

I did notice that when somebody was 186 or 206 etc the scale was pre-set though.

Is the televised weigh in not perfunctory anyway? Thought they did the real one behind closed doors beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

It's not behind closed doors.

Is the televised weigh in not perfunctory anyway? Thought they did the real one behind closed doors beforehand.

This was the behind close doors weigh-in, not the face off weigh-in (which is also non=public these days due to Covid)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Haven't rewatched the fight but talking with someone after I thought Gaethje actually landed better strikes than McGregor did on Khabib in the stand up portions. More significant leg kicks and punches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ush1 wrote: »
    Haven't rewatched the fight but talking with someone after I thought Gaethje actually landed better strikes than McGregor did on Khabib in the stand up portions. More significant leg kicks and punches.

There were a few times where he hit him with big shots, but Khabib kept walking him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

2 of the judges gave Gaethje the 1st round.
    He did land a good few strikes but they didn’t seem to affect Khabib too much.

On the comparison with McGregor & people saying he did better. Offensively, not sure but he was better defensively. He lasted until the 4th round. His takedown defence was better and he stopped Khabib from doing any damage on top in the 1st round.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    2 of the judges gave Gaethje the 1st round.
    He did land a good few strikes but they didn’t seem to affect Khabib too much.

On the comparison with McGregor & people saying he did better. Offensively, not sure but he was better defensively. He lasted until the 4th round. His takedown defence was better and he stopped Khabib from doing any damage on top in the 1st round.

Also cheated ,grabbing cage, illegal knees

People grab the cage all the time. Illegal strikes happen all the time. The knee (I think there was only one) had no power and caused no damage. People acting like it changed the fight are odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

People grab the cage all the time. Illegal strikes happen all the time. The knee (I think there was only one) had no power and caused no damage. People acting like it changed the fight are odd.

It stopped Khabib’s kimura attempt. He could have been doing his trademark tap out a lot quicker.

It stopped Khabib’s kimura attempt. He could have been doing his trademark tap out a lot quicker.

No it didn't. Khabib still had a 2on1 grip. The kimura attempt was after the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

All stupid rules in their own right. McGregor should have been called for them by the ref, but doesn't change how arbitrary they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

The knee (I think there was only one) had no power and caused no damage.

"I use the mount defence leg as a spring board, loading the knee below it. Release and straight to the eye socket. Smashed it in!" - Connor.

That one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

This did 650k buys world wide, 500k in the US haha Dana needs to stop looking at trends.

I've no doubt millions upon millions more streamed it for free

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

150k buys outside the us :eek:

we might not see an early ppv like this for a long time again sadly

• Advertisement

"I use the mount defence leg as a spring board, loading the knee below it. Release and straight to the eye socket. Smashed it in!" - Connor.

That one?

No, I’m referring to the one that actually happened in the fight. Where Khabib maintain a kimura grip and attacked the sub after the knee.

mailburner wrote: »
    150k buys outside the us :eek:

we might not see an early ppv like this for a long time again sadly

Amanda Nunes last card sold Eighty Five thousand ppvs in US and you can be sure she will headline again.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Can UFC not create their own steaming site where you just buy a card.Cant be that difficult.The Ksi vs Logan paul fights were locked behind a paywall on youtube why not do that

Can UFC not create their own steaming site where you just buy a card.Cant be that difficult.The Ksi vs Logan paul fights were locked behind a paywall on youtube why not do that

They had it up untill about 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

US2 wrote: »
    This did 650k buys world wide, 500k in the US haha Dana needs to stop looking at trends.

I've no doubt millions upon millions more streamed it for free

Or just watched it on tv as part of their normal satellite sub.

It was probably only ppv in a handful of countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Amanda Nunes last card sold Eighty Five thousand ppvs in US and you can be sure she will headline again.

It seems so little though for a superstar like Khabib assuming this
    was ppv in russia and the likes
    I'd have thought this would have reached close to a million but again I
    guess conor has been involved in nearly all the ppv that sold over 1 million
    with Lesnar being the exception
    Even cowboy v conor did over 1 million ppvs, I know I was far more
    stoked about khabib v justin in comparison though

Dana was talking to Khabib. Reckons khabib was overwhelmed with emotions the other night an he'll be back fighting again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I really hope it's Tony. Personally I think Khabib smashes him, but that's the biggest hole in his UFC run. Makes much more sense than a near 40 year old gsp that never fought at lightweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Dana putting public pressure on Khabib already, hardly surprising for him to pull a stunt like that.
    Can't see him changing his mind.

Advertisement