Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ye the gardas were out there about half an hour ago. They are going to check for some tomorrow. They said it rife at the minute lads lifting stuff like that which can be sold handy in an auction or scrap yard. Anything for a handy few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I'd be lying in wait blow the car to bits

A length of 4 x 2 full of nails for the tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Back in the day when the house was being built, the garage was broken into. At the time I had some old style earthenware jars containing solidified copper powder. I had put water in the jars to dissolve the copper. Who ever broke in knocked them over, spilling copper solution over themselves. Boot imprints and hand prints were visible on the floor and on the window as they exited. I naively thought the sergeant who called would be taking that as evidence - no such thing - just a chat about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭emaherx

I tick a fair few of them boxes myself, wouldn't exactly call it conclusive evidence of being a luddite.

So don't worry if you are a dinosaur it's probably because you read the Independent 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

Have a bullock with a back problem in the middle of one of our end paddocks have been carting nuts silage and water up to him the last few days trying to keep him going. He’s eating & drinking away. He stands for me sometimes but he barely moves. Had the vet out Friday (gave him a couple of injections) and he said it’s 50/50 but to keep him going. He thinks something could be broke. The game would test you at times! Anyone ever experienced anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Give him a week to ten days to heal then move to a paddock with good grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Randomn observation but its a bit mad how posting the same thing on different platforms can have massively different responses. Posted a video on twitter & instagram with some real rough ground im trying to clean up.

A guy on instagram i dont know sent me a message with loads of advice with what to do etc.... people i know on twitter offered no advice except to tell me the land is 5hite 🙃.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Definitely some big farmers on twitter full time showing off, and if you ask a question, your just ignored.

Some very very sound people there too but some not so sound..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Most of the people I originally joined up to be with, no longer post or have closed their accounts.

Still have my account but rarely log in these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I was going to suggest sticking a match to it if it was dry enough and working with the regrowth. But then sensibilities kicked in and I'd be attacked from every vegan, every PhD, every drone operator now looking for the shill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If you haven't interacted with a poster in the last few days. Your post won't show up on their timeline due to this new algorithm from Musk. And then very often it's what's recommended for you shows up which is not what you'd be interested in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Irish ag twitter isn’t a big loss going by what I’m seeing recommended to me. Ohh, look at me I’m flat out calving and I need caffeine to stay going, see picture of said calves and caffeinated beverages.

There is one lad on it I know of and if you were to go by what he posts you would think he is an award winning farmer. If you stood in his yard (its actually his dads) you wouldn't think it was the same lad as on twitter. Its as untidy a place I was ever in, scrap machinery all around the place, rotten bales of silage from over the years in lumps in the paddocks around the yard and the muck everywhere, you need waders if entering. His photos don't show any of that, nor do they ever show him doing any work. His dad is a hard goer, from dawn to dusk, but the twitter poster might appear in the yard around noon, yawning and he be gone before tea time after giving out to the father for not doing all the jobs. Anyone who works around the yard hates seeing this lad as he is always giving out about something, so if they can they call early in the morning when they know he is still in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You don't have to go to twitter to meet such people....

@whelan2 O I know that, I do laugh at your man when I see his posts on twitter & I would guess when the father stops working the place will probably rented to the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Any Kilkenny lads on here? Say it aint true ...............

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Anyone try the Supersoil product ??

I was curious and bought a 1 acre pack to try on half a field to see if there is anything no to it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Hasnt been said as far as im aware in the media yet however my uncle was contacted by the gardai as a certain GAA superstar text him asking him if he knew anyone capable of sending him a donation to fund treatment for cancer in the states. He doesnt have cancer, i heard during the week the cancer story started out 30 years ago and looks like its still going on he does have some sort of sickness/illness like his sister and possibly another brother of his too. I remember him well growing up (same club) the nicest most down to earth fella you would meet its mad to think the positive impact he has had on countless youngsters across the country and then this all comes out. Theres plenty of stories going around these parts since it started to break locally in the past few weeks about his living conditions etc and you would feel bad for him upon hearing it had this new scandal not broke. The man hasnt a bob to his name however i saw him in town before Christmas and he was driving a 222 reg jeep.

Theres a hell of a lot to be said for being able to go out and do a days work, that man couldnt do anything but hurl so he was f#cked when his county days were over. Too many pats on the back growing up and in fairness in St Kierans College (also a past pupil) if youre handy at hurling you can do what ye like in there and youll get on reasonably good. There was probably no career guidance back then either when he was there and the teachers at the time probably figured it would all fall into place for him as he was a superstar on the pitch.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Jeez, as a big hurling fan myself, I was really saddened to hear it. It's a problem through out the GAA though. Anyone that's any way showing some talent at underage is treated like a demigod. I seen it here locally. They don't exactly grow up to be well rounded individuals.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Local gaa star has his head so far up his arse here . Doesn't even acknowledge the promising young kids at the club or any kids for that matter. They are the future of the sport . Its all about him

Our county man is the complete opposite. He spends a lot of time in the club with underage teams etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'm desperately curious about it. I'd love to get some of it. Might try some on my lawn as a tester. From what I've read a one off treatment may not have much effect. But I'd advise you to take some photos on the day you spray it. Ideally, you'd want to soil sample prior to spraying too. From reading their replies on FB it seems to ease the need for lime too.

Does it promote worms? Bacteriorlit promotes worms - I wonder how much they would help breaking up the pan and improving drainage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I see Prime Time tonight are leading with a story about farmers not marrying for fear of losing the farm in the event of a break-up. Talk is about pre-nup contracts and whether they could help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

No Irish court will look at them so what's the point

Advertisement