Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I married a woman who was better off than me financially....she has no interest in my farm and i have no interest in her assets/income....

Took me a while to find her...but got there in the end.

Happy Valentines day!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 29,220 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Happy valentines day 💓

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Dealing with banks for a loan is a horror show. Absolute incomepetence all round. Have bent over backwards for the fuckers so far. Latest craic now is they lost documents sent in 4 months ago. Jaysus christ. A more cynical person would say they are dragging their holes so a drawdown would only be possible after they up their interest rates next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Get a scanner and scan everything you send to people. Has served me well in the past.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Advertisement

Oh I have copies and records of sending/uploading it. It's the shambles in the bank itself dragging their heels. It's cat altogether since they announced the last rate hike

You should try being an ulsterbank customer at the moment looking for a loan off new bank

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We changed from Ulster Bank to Bank of Ireland a few weeks ago - stocking loan and overdraft the same as what we had in UB. No major issue other than the usual having accounts up to date. Our accountant suggested BoI over AIB as they seem to want farmers business.

Aib are taking over my existing loan, it's just bad timing as existing loan won't move until April.. I did go to bank of ireland to suss them out but found the staff very rude and I wouldn't fancy dealing with them for confidential stuff as it was being broadcast to everyone there what your business was

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That terrible service from BoI, I hope we don't have the same experience. We also deal with AIB but that account has to do with another business. Their staff are ok but nothing like the Ulster Bank staff who I always found to be very efficient and helpful.

• Advertisement

Ye in fairness ulster staff were always great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

When I opened an Ulster Bank account, the lady noted my address saying it was the second time that day that she had come across it and naming my neighbour. I did say it to her that it was inappropriate information. Later that day when I met him I was tempted to say I heard you were turned down for a loan today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In any bank to an extent you are dependent on the local branch staff. Have been dealing with. BOI for thirty years. Generally found them very good. Mind you move the Farm loan off them after two years as they refused to reduce the tracker rate.

Has a similar issue as Whelan in AIB thirty years ago, looking for a mortgage, the person dealing with me kept me at the counter instead of dealing with me in an office like BoI did. Person I knew came to speak to me but has enough cop on to leave when the AIB official came back

Slava Ukrainii

There was an elderly woman in front of me in bank of ireland close to tears walking out of bank of ireland. I was saying that could've been my mother who was treated like ****. Man before her was treated very badly too. Manners cost nothing. The would be account manager rang me a few days later about opening an account and I told him exactly what happened. That I was going elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

It makes no difference now... Customer service is a thing of the past in every organisation imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

That could describe the experience in almost any bank branch now.

The last three times I've been in bank queues (both BOI and AIB), everyone in the queues, without exception, left the bank frustrated/angry because the bank staff couldn't (or couldn't fully) accommodate whatever it was they came for.

It seems the banks have decided that dealing with the public in a branch is a nuisance and they have been steadily reducing services.

It's actually the branch staff I feel most sorry for, imagine your job all day, every day; "sorry we can't help you - try going online", on repeat.. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭green daries

Ya brutal most places with a few exceptions.to even get a large cohort of the younger people (under 22) to actually talk to you or answer a phone is next to impossible. A lot of the older cohort are ignorant and uninterested in customer care

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

No proper sleep in two nights- I was at a wedding and have some virus got- not covid but 38.4temp after taking nurofin. (I’m normally 36.3) Not a big headache but throat in bits- tonsils swollen. Can’t lie in the bed with it. Lucky I’m off for the week. Kind of getting to nap when lads at school.

didn’t go to mart to sell my few poorer weanlings to keep farm going.

last week- 22month old 415kg- Limx (but looked like a roany whitehead) made €1110 not amazing but saying that, I bought her for €500 for my freezer and she mostly ate grass and silage.

yesterday- 310kg LMx bullock off a speckle park (he looked like one) €830

2 x LMX heifers off brown Swiss and took their colouring so looked like aubrac/jersey colouring- 298kg- €920

so between all of them, will keep farm going with bills till April and after test, I might sell the 3 good red limo heifers and in autumn the 2 good red Limo bullocks for finishing.

leaves me with a sh/he runt of a bullock that will make nothing so freezer bound in 2024 and a SH/LMx bullock but might wait til he has weight on. No pressure to sell them two (yet anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The only advice I’d give you there is if your struggling to secure it your better off without it. Find another way.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

It's for a house, so no other way I'm afraid. Need the money. Well technically I don't need it yet but I want to get some drawn down or the interest rate will be up .75% on Tuesday next week and I'll be caught for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I wrote a cheque for the lad who does a few milkings for me at the bank holiday weekend. He lodged it on the Tuesday. He rang me yesterday to say the cheque never cleared. He's bank of ireland I'm ulsterbank. He thought maybe my account was closed. I rang my account manager and cheque never came to ulsterbank. He rang bank of ireland. They sent the cheque back to him and in the box for the amount it looked like €320.05 I had written the amount in words on the cheque too. So today his postman had a letter with his and his wife's first names but wrong surname from bank of ireland with the right address with my cheque in it. His wife used to work in bank of ireland and can't believe the carry on over 5 cent. I offered to transfer money to him electronically but he said they're getting great sport out of the whole ordeal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was looking at few bits in various auctions recently.

Euroauctions have a sale in NI soon, created an account, they seem to be looking for a €15k deposit paid by bank transfer just so you can bid. Think I’ll pass on that.

If they ever went bust, would you get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Gary Breen co-commentating on the Arsenal game must have said ‘in terms of’ every time he spoke. It’s a big problem generally its misuse and overuse but this was by far the worst case of it. It does not make you sound intelligent shoving it into every sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Odelay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

If you heard it you’d understand. It was unbearably bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

Micheal Martin is not far behind (I dont dislike him, I think his PR people are not doing their job).

Advertisement