Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I like the bit about the summons instead of wedding invitation. Weddings are getting crazy. Couples now deciding to have them in location's away from either's home area. Having a two day event. Saw a couple lately have it in this old period house. No accomdation except for bride and groom. Everybody else had to stay 2-3 miles minimum away. Taxi's were a disaster it seems with people waiting a couple of hours for a lift to the hotel/ accommodation they wanted to go to.

Discressonary spending is way the catch. The biggest savings is in taking you own lunch. A sandwich and tea or coffee is 7-8 euro. That 40/week or 2k per year. Where a couple are doing it it's hitting 4k/ year.

Recently met a friend in a small cafe. I got a heated roll and a lot of tea. It was slightly over 12 euro. If you were meeting people on e a week in that type of situation that is another 600/ year.

Budgeting is no harm.now and again it brings reality to any situation.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The biggest savings is in taking you own lunch. A sandwich and tea or coffee is 7-8 euro. That 40/week or 2k per year. Where a couple are doing it it's hitting 4k/ year.

That's only true if a home made lunch is free.

If I've to buy soda bread, meat and veg filling for a weeks lunch, I'm buying it twice a week in super valu & spending about €25.

So the saving is about half that per year if you are willing to eat the same sandwich every day for a week & bring a flask & pot of milk for the tea coffee.

Most people will tend to make more than they buy. Supervalu is the dearest of the supermarkets. Most sandwiches you buy are normally from sliced pan. Ya you tend to eat different if you make it yourself. However when I was it it I was as likely to put on an extra spud and make my own potato salad or salads in general.

Just on the cost of hot drinks. Last place I worked had a tea club as such. Basically o e lad bought the milk, sugar, tea and coffee. In the end 4 years ago it was 6/ month. He had actually bought a coffee machine for the office 4-5 years earlier from the profits of the club it was running at break even more or less when I left. I doubt if it is hitting a tenner a month yet

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭roosterman71

In my spot they have free tea/coffee from machines. Then once they kinda fully reopened after COVID, they put in a coffee bar or Barista type yoke. €1.50 for a fancier coffee. It's nicer alright than the machines, and way cheaper than local shops/cafes. And it's flat out all the time making coffees even though 10 yards away there's free coffee. People are strange

• Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Not easy drink poor coffee when there is better nearby. I'm a major coffee junkie myself.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

How do you breed good animals, the ones you see and you think they're a fine animal. Is it all about the bull used or do you need good cows? What makes good cows?

Are they likely to be c section all the time?

What if you had a pedigree cow but an average easy calving bull? Would you get good calves this way?

What if you had a pedigree limosin ad bulled with a charlaois bull. Would that be a waste?

Where can I learn about breeding and how it's all done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Saler cow crossed with a Charolais/Blond D'Aquataine/Culard Charolais bull would be a fairly good start for a typical suckler farmer looking for decent stock to sell. As for commercial show cattle its hard to see how many of them would be a natural birth. Its all down to trial and error trying different crosses yourself and seeing what crosses other fellas use each system is different one cross might suit a fella who lives with the stock during calving and another will suit a fella working away from the farm.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Pass a place when travelling to work that has store lambs on reseeded ground. Noticed they spread slurry and left the lambs in the field. Poor form in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

An ignorant act!……those lambs will only pick at grass through pangs of hunger until there is very heavy rain to wash in/away the slurry.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭DBK1

It’s funny because I was only looking at something very similar yesterday.

A local dairy man here that would be the dictionary definition of a rooter blackened all his paddocks with slurry using a splash plate in the second half of last week. The cows were out grazing them yesterday and the real sad part is even without putting the slurry out before the cows they’d have had as much grass if they were left on the concrete yard as what was in the paddocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Replay it is!

Going to be interesting to see what Crokes do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see a lot of the Crokes lads have gone travelling already. Fair play is fair play, I guess.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Million dollar question that. Not just as simple as best cow and best bull = best calf. They just need to click somehow and it might not be everytime either.

However, to improve the baseline of your stock fresh cows and either a good stock bull or use of AI will get things moving in the right direction.

The cows have you suit your platform and conditions. i.e. if you're out west or up north then big heavy hungry Simmentals may not be the best option. I don't know much about pedigrees - I think (open to being corrected) that cross bred (hybrid) cattle are more forgiving to work with.

Young cows and heifers matched with the wrong bull would be prone to c-sections. Looking for an easy calving strain of whatever breed of bull you opt for. Also cows that were over fed will be prone to c-sections.

Not sure about where to learn about it. Maybe some others know of a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The show cattle thing is a bit of a quare yoke. They are often not “correct” (cattle in my opinion should be be to birth naturally without assistance and no physical defects that affect their functionality) and the the balance should be between meat yield and good beef in terms of conformation.

Anyone have trouble injecting cattle?

Got an injectable dose this time and had serious trouble getting the hide of the cows pierced to inject them. Also had to be done over two sites as well. Cows were not happy by the time it was over.

It was a new needle of the correct gauge. Calves and weanlings were done fine. A balls of a day - might just stick with drench and pour-on instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Land thats accessed via right of way, how does that affect its value at sale ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

It depends if it has a registered right of way. If it has and there is no known hassle challahs with the use of it it should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭straight

Banks don't like to lend on land with poor access an no road frontage I'm told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sad to see that Padraig walshe died today, RIP.

FBD sponsored checkups in teh Mater private years ago for some farming celebs and he was one of them , They discovered an aneurysm in Padraig at the time and that's usually only found in a PM so he had a lucky break then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Fonterra has "banned" the bobbying of calves in New Zealand for its suppliers, its not going to be enforced for there Australian suppliers for now anyways. I reckon it would be way more of s problem in Australia if enforced rather than New Zealand as there is very little black and white beef of any type out there much and no matter what youll always have bull calves whether you use a strong friesan or jersey breeding.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2023-02-02/fonterra-bans-bobby-calf-slaughter-in-new-zealand/101914966?utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf263906810&utm_campaign=abc_rural&utm_source=m.facebook.com&sf263906810=1

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

And they are only giving them 6 months to sort it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It only applies to the on farm slaughter of calves. Farmers will still be allowed to send them for slaughter in abattoirs. It's really a moot point tbh.

"From June this year, Kiwi suppliers will be banned from euthanising bobby calves on farm, and instead will have to raise them to an older age or send them to an abattoir."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

See from now on you can only stack silage bales 2 high unless you can collect effluent. Doesn't seem to matter if you make dry bales or not. Would a silage slab in poor repair need to be brought up to a standard that you would need for pit silage

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

Ah Jaysus what's next...sure if you stack it 3 high it covers less space, now you will stack it 2 high over a larger space if the bales are going to seep they will seep 1,2 or 3 high it makes no sense....😡

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ya, I wonder what's the thinking behind only going 2 high? Is it the weight down on top of the bottom bale will squeeze more juice out maybe.

Will there be a bale police dept I wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Yeah well they don't seem to have any handle on the bales of cocaine floating about so I guess they are just going to focus on the silage instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It's a lot easier to spot bales stacked 3 high than a submarine carrying coke alright.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement