Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭straight

greysides wrote: »
    Beware: As possibility of GT?

Would they get gt on the first round? More unlikely I guess compared to lush 2nd round. I'd a cow that went down like that a couple of years ago, walked out and never got up again. I'd say I lifted her every day for 2 weeks. Nothing worse. I scrape out the holding yard after milking every morning since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I said my goodbyes to youngest earlier as he heads off on the next chapter of his life journey to Scotland. He is sailing out of Belfast in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

greysides wrote: »

Plenty dead around here (SE) already. Weather playing a major role. Maybe high N and K too.

There's no maybe's about it. It's 100% the cause.

I'm in a bad area of high K soil. All through my youth and my father's time before that we had cases of grass tetany. Linked to with milk fever we had cows holding cleanings.
    We were giving access to mineral buckets but it was very hit and miss. We were still getting cases of milk fever and it had absolutely no effect on grass tetany later when they went out to grass later.
    Switched to mineral boluses then and that took care of the milk fevers and retained cleanings. Fertility improved.
    But grass tetany cases were still there popping up an odd time.
    Started reading up on both and cut back on K spreading in fertilizer so no big K loads in the silage or the spring grass.
    This also coincided with basalt dust being spread on the whole farm. I think it must be five years ago or more now. A quick Google on here will find when I spread it.
    But since then I haven't had a case of milk fever or grass tetany (and I'm seriously looking for a large lump of timber to touch). No retained cleanings. Cows cycling very quickly.
    I've gone a little further now and I've dropped the mineral boluses. But I am foliar spraying minerals on grass fairly regularly. Coming back in on the silage and on the grazing grass.
    I've started giving Himalayan rock salt as a bit of an experiment this winter (after reading Ormandes experiences) and it has shined up the stock and better than not and the hopefully normal now no mf and gt.

I reckon the ole timers were onto something about worth your weight in it.
    There would have been sodium naturally in basalt.
    Doesn't it improve metabolism and bloodflow?

Have blocks out with the cows going in and out and the odd few give them a lick as they're passing. You'd notice the ones that haven't fully coated yet or bit behind the others doing so.

My motto for farming is you should be getting to grips with what you can control better every year and hopefully I'm going that way. Nature gets blamed for things between the farmers ears but today we've realms of knowledge available at the click of a finger on all our smart phones now. So why not use it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

It's off a field that was cleared for housing. Big pile, few thousand ton! I want it to fill a few canyon of drains I'm going to pipe, and top up others that have been done a few years.

It's been offered to me at €15/ton. I'd have to move it myself and pay a man with a digger for a good few days to loosen/load it. Gone into big money. Don't think it's worth it

That's a ridiculous price.
    Quarry stone would be cheaper than that.
    About €100 a load delivered would be enough.
    A local dump - on a farmer's land with all approvals - charges €50 a load for dumping. I think.
    In your situation subsoil would be as good as topsoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,236 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Kids gone back to school. Youngest hasn't been in the school since last year. House is very quiet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    Kids gone back to school. Youngest hasn't been in the school since last year. House is very quiet

Enjoy the piece & quite
    Don’t know about your house, it changes after 3 here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »

Same here. Ya have to wonder whats the point of going back at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 29,236 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »

Ah it's great for them to get back to see their friends. I'm sure mine are fed up of me at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Reggie. wrote: »

I've a junior cert lad here telling me there is no point in him going back either. He is also giving out for not having his birthday a few months earlier because he will be getting his tractor licence at the end of August so he won't get a wrapping job this summer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Base price wrote: »
    I said my goodbyes to youngest earlier as he heads off on the next chapter of his life journey to Scotland. He is sailing out of Belfast in the morning.

Best of luck to him. I found leaving when i was in my early twenties a hard thing to do but it was the making of me. What part of Scotland is he heading to out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

Water John wrote: »
    90% efficacy doesn't mean 1 in 10 have no benefit, all benefit.

I hear you.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Best of luck to him. I found leaving when i was in my early twenties a hard thing to do but it was the making of me. What part of Scotland is he heading to out of interest?
    He got a full time job with Marine Scotland and is going to based in Inverness but mostly working in the North West and on research ships/commercial fishing boats. It's hard work but that is what he likes to do.

Just off the phone with him now and has arrived safely at the air bnb that he has rented for a month in Inverness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

He got a full time job with Marine Scotland and is going to based in Inverness but mostly working in the North West and on research ships/commercial fishing boats. It's hard work but that is what he likes to do.

Just off the phone with him now and has arrived safely at the air bnb that he has rented for a month in Inverness.

Good luck to him, delighted to see him getting work doing what he loves and hopefully making a difference for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

I left home when I was 17 for college only staying a handful of nights back home since then one of which was night before my wedding when I was 23. When it’s the right time it’s the right time.

AI tech put CIDRs in 2 heifers on Thursday
    Notice some white coming from both heifers
    Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

AI tech put CIDRs in 2 heifers on Thursday
    Notice some white coming from both heifers
    Is this normal?

Yes

Yes

Thanks
    It’s been awhile since I used them
    Pull Thursday and inject Friday isn’t it?

Thanks
    It’s been awhile since I used them
    Pull Thursday and inject Friday isn’t it?
    I thought with heifers you inject with estrumate the same day that you take the prids/cidrs out and then inject 3 days later with receptal.

I synchronised 3 SHx heifers last year and got one pregnancy. The other two repeated but went in calf the following cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Tileman

_Brian wrote: »
    I left home when I was 17 for college only staying a handful of nights back home since then one of which was night before my wedding when I was 23. When it’s the right time it’s the right time.

Yea same here. I don’t see it too often now. Allot of young people living with their parents to their late 20’s or early 30’s . Not good on parents or children at that stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Tileman wrote: »
    Yea same here. I don’t see it too often now. Allot of young people living with their parents to their late 20’s or early 30’s . Not good on parents or children at that stage .

Got three years straight away from home best thing i ever did, fair difference in myself after three years but the lads are the exact same that never left. Lucky enough to be not living right under the parents roof nowadays but close enough to home which i find awful claustrophobic all tbe same but i dont know why as im back a year now and a neighbour asked the auld fella today was i still in New Zealand, this time four years ago i was getting ready to head out there.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Only ever driven tractors 30 years old at this stage.

Is there much difference in comfort in tractors 20 ish years old? Are there tractors you don't need to clutch with your foot? Stupid question I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Tileman wrote: »

I was away for 7 years. Home now for 3. Living in a granny flat at home as we're hoping to buy in next few months.

I thought with heifers you inject with estrumate the same day that you take the prids/cidrs out and then inject 3 days later with receptal.

I synchronised 3 SHx heifers last year and got one pregnancy. The other two repeated but went in calf the following cycle.

Thanks I must get Receptal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What kinda cost would a 4 bay cattle shed be?

_Brian wrote: »
    Youngest went to Galway to study Marine Science at 17. For the first year he came home at the weekends but I didn't see an awful lot of him after as he go a p/t job in a large pub in Dublin. He used to get the go-bus from Galway on a Friday afternoon, get off in the city centre, work until the early hours and get a taxi back home. I'd wake him on Saturday at 2pm or 3pm so he had time for a shower and a bite to eat before he headed back to work in the pub and that was repeated on a Sunday except he would get the go-bus back to Galway.
    His playschool teacher told me (at his 21st birthday party) that when asked what he wanted to be when he grew up he replied - a marine biologist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Youngest went to Galway to study Marine Science at 17. For the first year he came home at the weekends but I didn't see an awful lot of him after as he go a p/t job in a large pub in Dublin. He used to get the go-bus from Galway on a Friday afternoon, get off in the city centre, work until the early hours and get a taxi back home. I'd wake him on Saturday at 2pm or 3pm so he had time for a shower and a bite to eat before he headed back to work in the pub and that was repeated on a Sunday except he would get the go-bus back to Galway.
    His playschool teacher told me (at his 21st birthday party) that when asked what he wanted to be when he grew up he replied - a marine biologist :)

Students doing pub work around here are on the Covid subsidy since march 2020 and getting plenty work as well, The new big dairy enterprises are bringing great money into the community, milking, contract rearing, night calving and weekend work

Water John wrote: »
    90% efficacy doesn't mean 1 in 10 have no benefit, all benefit.

Looks like I'll be lucky if I avoid an Astra Zeneca jab tomorrow.
    On the News this morning they're taking about 100000/1 chance of a clot, that's great as long as I'm not the one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

wrangler wrote: »
    On the News this morning they're taking about 100000/1 chance of a clot, that's great as long as I'm not the one

I'm down for the AZ jab aswell. Twud be my luck to clot after it!

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'm down for the AZ jab aswell. Twud be my luck to clot after it!

My GP was giving Pfizer, whatever he saw in it he was claiming it to be the best since the start, apparently it works different than AZ.
    Its not like he's selling the stuff, if he sees it better he has a good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

wrangler wrote: »

I believe it equates to your chances of being killed in a car.
    I'd take my chances with the vaccine rather than the virus.

Advertisement