Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I see a bridgeway aerator in the auction this Saturday in Portlaoise mart.
    http://www.bridgewayengineering.com/index.php/bridgeway-products/bridgeway-aerators
    Probably similar to that. Can't see a picture of the one in the auction. Anyone ever use one or one like it? What they good for? And bad for? Was half thinking of it to help break up some compacted areas after silage is cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I bought a Yamaha 250cc quad the other evening off a lad for 300 quid. winch on front.
    it won't start and I knew it wouldn't when I bought it.
    theres power coming to the coil pack but it's not getting any further to the spark plugs. new plugs in.

any good quad factors? tried Amazon but they only have coil packs with one spark plug. mine has two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There's a breakers up in Derry that break only quads, think they advertise on DoneDeal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

http://www.bridgewayengineering.com/index.php/bridgeway-products/bridgeway-aerators
    Probably similar to that. Can't see a picture of the one in the auction. Anyone ever use one or one like it? What they good for? And bad for? Was half thinking of it to help break up some compacted areas after silage is cut

You need a fair chuck of weight on top of them and dry weather for them to do the job they are supposed to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Grueller

When applying for the computerised calf feeder on tams do you need a farmyard plan for its location?

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    You need a fair chuck of weight on top of them and dry weather for them to do the job they are supposed to do

Do they do what they are supposed to? Would they break up the soil a bit. Putting weight on one isn't a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Do they do what they are supposed to? Would they break up the soil a bit. Putting weight on one isn't a problem

I wouldn't be spending money on them any way. I see some have plastic barrels on them filled with water

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We have one haven't used it in years. A good drought will open up the ground just as good

wrangler wrote: »
    I wouldn't be spending money on them any way. I see some have plastic barrels on them filled with water

Why wouldn't you? Whats the issue?
    whelan2 wrote: »
    We have one haven't used it in years. A good drought will open up the ground just as good

Don't get good droughts that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭straight

Good frosts open up the ground too.

• Advertisement

Right. I'll leave it so. I don't need explanations of what droughts or frosts do. I asked about the performance of a machine.

I have land that is compacted from loading bales. Been getting worse. It's a dry part of the field near the entrance where bales are brought to from wetter areas to be loaded. We've had droughts last year, frosts this year and there is water sitting on top of the ground after rain. I want something that may help break it up a little. Can't go too deep as there are drains running all over the place not too far below the surface. That's why I was thinking of an aerator to run across it in the autumn when the machinery is finished for the year

Right. I'll leave it so. I don't need explanations of what droughts or frosts do. I asked about the performance of a machine.

I have land that is compacted from loading bales. Been getting worse. It's a dry part of the field near the entrance where bales are brought to from wetter areas to be loaded. We've had droughts last year, frosts this year and there is water sitting on top of the ground after rain. I want something that may help break it up a little. Can't go too deep as there are drains running all over the place not too far below the surface. That's why I was thinking of an aerator to run across it in the autumn when the machinery is finished for the year

Sure work away so like.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

In my opinion the roller type land driven ones are the only job as they actually are guaranteed to go into the ground. Might want a cover of grass on it though as otherwise you may pull up the sod. If it’s only one field it may be as handy to find a contractor. Talk to local machinery dealers see does anyone have one locally.
    If it’s very badly compacted is probably poached too. In that case a run of the plough May do no harm....

I'd say you're compaction is further down that you think.
    Most compaction is six to twelve inches down and needs a subsoiler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Jb1989

jd_12345 wrote: »
    In my opinion the roller type land driven ones are the only job as they actually are guaranteed to go into the ground. Might want a cover of grass on it though as otherwise you may pull up the sod. If it’s only one field it may be as handy to find a contractor. Talk to local machinery dealers see does anyone have one locally.
    If it’s very badly compacted is probably poached too. In that case a run of the plough May do no harm....

Reggie built the roller with the lugs on it. He'll have good info on that type. Tho as wrangler said it may be further down. Possibly wants a small hole Dug in the area and look at the layers and see where compaction may be.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Reggie built the roller with the lugs on it. He'll have good info on that type. Tho as wrangler said it may be further down. Possibly wants a small hole Dug in the area and look at the layers and see where compaction may be.

That's the ideal aerator for grassland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vepx5hVO8NQ

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Agree Wrangler, looks the business. Should do a mighty job in dry weather.Think this conversation about this very part of a field was held already a few weeks ago. However the owner says he has some shallow drains. Also suggested planting in some deep rooting plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Topped one of our silage fields. Pure over run with rushes so wanted to start working on it. The muddy fields are Still very soft.

Got the most of the calves disbudded also today. My brother was off work and able give a hand. A few young ones left.

Water John wrote: »
    Agree Wrangler, looks the business. Should do a mighty job in dry weather.Think this conversation about this very part of a field was held already a few weeks ago. However the owner says he has some shallow drains. Also suggested planting in some deep rooting plants.

Do you mean shallow piped shores, they should be down two feet to work properly, Shores no being deep enough is probably part of the problem,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I like it definitely. Fairly rising the sod up. But nicely rolled after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Had a number of fields here done with a machine very much the same as that here back in 2009 & again in 2011.

Local engineering firm built one for local contractor. My opinion on it would be yes it's a great job on ground suitable for it,ie cold heavy land.helped drainage immediately & for a while at least after. Grass grew very well on this land after also.

Probably needs doing again now.was quite a bit done locally round the time,but haven't seen one working in many years. Did they divide opinion??maybe

Needs a beast of a tractor though for the job & a good knowledgeable operator in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

One lesson l learned, or relearned recently was don’t keep putting stuff off, nobody knows what’s round the corner.

So we bought this little fixer upper today.
    Few oily bits to sort, then few wee bits of rust, then it will apparently become a campervan.

https://ibb.co/wpHSNFN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

_Brian wrote: »
    One lesson l learned, or relearned recently was don’t keep putting stuff off, nobody knows what’s round the corner.

So we bought this little fixer upper today.
    Few oily bits to sort, then few wee bits of rust, then it will apparently become a campervan.

https://ibb.co/wpHSNFN

Excellent stuff Brian - be interesting to follow that... keep us informed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

What happened our Kerry shares thread?
    I've a few more bags of popcorn to finish off.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Had a number of fields here done with a machine very much the same as that here back in 2009 & again in 2011.

Local engineering firm built one for local contractor. My opinion on it would be yes it's a great job on ground suitable for it,ie cold heavy land.helped drainage immediately & for a while at least after. Grass grew very well on this land after also.

Probably needs doing again now.was quite a bit done locally round the time,but haven't seen one working in many years. Did they divide opinion??maybe

Needs a beast of a tractor though for the job & a good knowledgeable operator in my opinion.

Yea, Ithink intensive farmed land needs something like that, compaction has to be an issue, and if you land isn't very stony it's a good tool. I used to do a lot of subsoiling when I was sowing corn here, we'd always do the headlands and unload the combine on the headlands rather than driving the heavy trailers around the field. subsoiler used to bring up rocks but I don't think the Erth would be as bad.
    I'd imagine subsoiling would need to be deeper in tillage land

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Yea, Ithink intensive farmed land needs something like that, compaction has to be an issue, and if you land isn't very stony it's a good tool. I used to do a lot of subsoiling when I was sowing corn here, we'd always do the headlands and unload the combine on the headlands rather than driving the heavy trailers around the field. subsoiler used to bring up rocks but I don't think the Erth would be as bad.
    I'd imagine subsoiling would need to be deeper in tillage land

Went to 1200mm with that rig out in Oz on non wetting sandy soils. Controlled Traffic Farming was the big thing out there, the local John Deere dealer wasnt the biggest in Oz but apparently had the biggest sales of greenstar and the like as CTF was like religion to the farmers there.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭moneyheer

100 hp would handle erth panbuster no problem have used one behind valtra n91 in hard marley soil

What happened our Kerry shares thread?
    I've a few more bags of popcorn to finish off.

It's ok now. Kerry groups bluff has been called and the whole thing is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Went to 1200mm with that rig out in Oz on non wetting sandy soils. Controlled Traffic Farming was the big thing out there, the local John Deere dealer wasnt the biggest in Oz but apparently had the biggest sales of greenstar and the like as CTF was like religion to the farmers there.

Busy boy changing wearing metal at that craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Does anyone know is the owner of leased ground (tenant has entitlements and paying back to landlord) allowed to appeal an overclaim. We were renting ground up until last year and we’re paying the BPS over to landowner. Last ye at there was an overclaim letter sent out after payment was made by Dept so money is owing. It’s a substantial amount of land too so it’s over the 3% allowable so it’s potentially liable to be trebled. Land owner wants to appeal it but we’re no longer leasing it and couldn’t be bothered tbh. Also the department are technically correct- it isn’t really eligible ground. We don’t want to get mixed up in it with the department and he has put his advisor in charge of it but it all has to go threw our Agfood account as the overclaim is against us technically. Is there anyway of transferring it all that business over to him given that we’re no longer leasing the ground and we ourselves have no interest in appealing it and would rather it weren’t appealed?

Advertisement