Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

DBK1 wrote: »
    What would any of your views be on stock that were brought to the mart early yesterday morning and are still in the mart yard now over 40 hours later and roaring with the hunger? They have water but no food since then. I was talking to the mart manager and he says there’s nothing he can do about it.

This happens on a fairly regular basis in this mart and I’ve been defending the mart to the non farming neighbours but it’s getting to the stage where I think I nearly have to agree with them. It’s definitely not right on the cattle.

Are the calves abandoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭tanko

The mart manager should be subjected to that treatment and see how he likes it. He should be sacked then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭DBK1

Reggie. wrote: »
    They’re not calves. They’re good quality continental bullocks, around the 500kg mark that are there at the minute. Whoever bought them paid well for them so it doesn’t make sense to me at all that you wouldn’t want to get them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

They’re not calves. They’re good quality continental bullocks, around the 500kg mark that are there at the minute. Whoever bought them paid well for them so it doesn’t make sense to me at all that you wouldn’t want to get them home.

Is it possible he won't let them leave the yard as they're unpaid for as yet?
    Still no fecking excuse for not feeding them, one way to lose proper buyers with a genuine reason to not collect them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭StevenToast

What would any of your views be on stock that were brought to the mart early yesterday morning and are still in the mart yard now over 40 hours later and roaring with the hunger? They have water but no food since then. I was talking to the mart manager and he says there’s nothing he can do about it.

This happens on a fairly regular basis in this mart and I’ve been defending the mart to the non farming neighbours but it’s getting to the stage where I think I nearly have to agree with them. It’s definitely not right on the cattle.

I would be reporting that to the gardai right away...
    Disgusting behaviour...the cattle should be fed...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

he says there’s nothing he can do about it.

Are there rules around it I wonder, if not, there should be considering livestock are involved. I wouldn't blame a manager who didn't want to be running a feedlot but there are rules around credit and lots of other things, even liability parking your vehicle on the premises.

I have seen sheep sold in the local mart left there until the following day, never thought it was right tbh.

Is it possible he won't let them leave the yard as they're unpaid for as yet?
    Still no fecking excuse for not feeding them, one way to lose proper buyers with a genuine reason to not collect them yet.
    It’s over 30 hours since the mart finished yesterday, it’s hard to see a genuine excuse for not having them collected in that time frame.

I’m going to ring him again in the morning and see what he says. As I said earlier I’m normally the one defending them. It’s common practice for cattle still to be there until midday Tuesday. There was at least 40 cattle there overnight last night. And they leave them in the pens nearest the road which doesn’t help with the neighbours all looking in at them, and listening to them roaring all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

There would sometimes be cattle left in the Mart until the next day, but they would usually be gone by 10 am in the morning or they would be moved to a pen in the export lairage where they have access to feed & water. No way should cattle be left hungry for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a lie in this morning. First time since 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a lie in this morning. First time since 2020

Posted at 07:51...

I know people who would struggle to be up at that time, not to mind consider it a lie in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Alarm normally goes at 5.30. Great to not have to set an alarm for once. Was up at 3.30 as young lad was having a nightmare :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    There would sometimes be cattle left in the Mart until the next day, but they would usually be gone by 10 am in the morning or they would be moved to a pen in the export lairage where they have access to feed & water. No way should cattle be left hungry for that long.

I did a dispersal sale in January of my brother in laws stock, mostly mad sucklers. They were brought to the mart the night before sale. But they were bedded knee deep in straw and feeders stuffed with good quality hay. The cattle had never known such comfort amd sold well on the back of it. Because it was a dispersal sale after a tragedy they wouldn’t take anything for the overnight which I thought was very decent.

Leaving cattle 30hrs under is criminal stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

_Brian wrote: »

Dept. of Ag very active on welfare issues.

Forget the guards. They'd only be checking if the cattle were within 5k of home. ;)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

_Brian wrote: »
    I did a dispersal sale in January of my brother in laws stock, mostly mad sucklers. They were brought to the mart the night before sale. But they were bedded knee deep in straw and feeders stuffed with good quality hay. The cattle had never known such comfort amd sold well on the back of it. Because it was a dispersal sale after a tragedy they wouldn’t take anything for the overnight which I thought was very decent.

One bullock still there this morning. The rest were loaded at some stage during the night. Seems strange to have 1 left, maybe no room in the lorry or something but surely if that was the case they’d have left a second one as well just for company. . He’d be there since around 8 Monday morning now at this stage.

OH rang the manager about an hour ago, at first he tried to tell her he has no way of finding out who owns it,I don’t think he realised she’s from farming background. She asked him did he want the tag number and did he want to check it himself or did he want her to ring the department of Ag to find out. Then she told him the lot number is still on his back, if he wants that he can check against his own system. He got very flustered then and didn’t know what to say.

I wouldn’t be one for watching people or complaining about what other lads are at or that type of thing but I do feel strongly that this shouldn’t be let happen. It’s not right on the neighbours listening to the roaring all day and night for 2 days now and it’s definitely not right on the cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Grueller wrote: »
    It was the practice owner that made the mistake. In practice just 30 years.
    I'm not standing up for the Vet but as I said previously I reckon the cow wasn't presenting with enough symptoms at the time he/she looked at her - unless the Vet is totally useless with livestock which is unlikely if they are in a large animal practice for 30 years. Having said that years ago I used to deal with a practice in NCD and one of the partners was clueless when it came to cattle. He was considered to be a horse Vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Posted at 07:51...

I know people who would struggle to be up at that time, not to mind consider it a lie in :D

I was thinking the same. Our lads are up at 5:30 and in a zombie until 7:30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

One bullock still there this morning. ............

I wouldn’t be one for watching people or complaining about what other lads are at or that type of thing but I do feel strongly that this shouldn’t be let happen. It’s not right on the neighbours listening to the roaring all day and night for 2 days now and it’s definitely not right on the cattle.

Good on you for taking a stand, a lot more of us should have the courage to do so.
    Years ago I witnessed a person harshly treating cows that were resisting double suckling. All his cows had heads up and frightened eyes. It has stayed with me down the years, especially the fact I hadn't the courage to report it.

Had my car in at the garage. It’s an 07 Auris with 430k km on it. It will cost a fair bit to get through the nct so will have to do my maths. It’s starting to rust a bit underneath etc. I had hoped to get to 500k km but doubt it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Reggie. wrote: »

========================
    The danger is the Animal Rights People would do the photos & splash it all over internal media & this affects the sales prices.
    On a welfare concern alone I would make the Phone Call.
    If we wait for someone else it doesn't get done & we are all in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What would a fair price be for top soil? Site a few miles from me where the land was cleared for housing a few years ago has a good pile of the clay piled up at the back. Dunno how much is in it. Probably 2 or 3 hundred ton anyway. I'd be a buyer if the price was right. Wondering how much I should be offering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Had my car in at the garage. It’s an 07 Auris with 430k km on it. It will cost a fair bit to get through the nct so will have to do my maths. It’s starting to rust a bit underneath etc. I had hoped to get to 500k km but doubt it now.

Having had a few old cars over the years, I found it was better to go to the NCT and get the list of things to fix and then see where you are...

You could be replacing something which they might be ok with, only to find out something else they want replaced that your mechanic said was ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Having had a few old cars over the years, I found it was better to go to the NCT and get the list of things to fix and then see where you are...

You could be replacing something which they might be ok with, only to find out something else they want replaced that your mechanic said was ok....

That's the way I do it too, I got the jeep serviced once and then got it doe'd, it passed no problem,
    A day or two after the garage where it was serviced phoned to say he had the shock absorbers in, he couldn't believe that it had passed, Of course I brought it to the garage and put it on the lift and the shocks were pure rotten with rust.
    Anyway when you do a pre NCT check, you might as well give the garage an open cheque , they'll replace stuff that doesn't need replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Run it through the NCT, it might surprise you.

That’s the plan alright. See how it fairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

A man after my own heart, only on 250km here on a 10 Astra, will be dissapointed with any less than 400km out of her.

Better living everyone

A man after my own heart, only on 250km here on a 10 Astra, will be dissapointed with any less than 400km out of her.

It’s only young yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I have a 06 Avensis with 390k on it sitting in the shed atm if your in the mood;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

wrangler wrote: »
    That's the way I do it too, I got the jeep serviced once and then got it doe'd, it passed no problem,
    A day or two after the garage where it was serviced phoned to say he had the shock absorbers in, he couldn't believe that it had passed, Of course I brought it to the garage and put it on the lift and the shocks were pure rotten with rust.
    Anyway when you do a pre NCT check, you might as well give the garage an open cheque , they'll replace stuff that doesn't need replacing

It seems that it can't be picked up if shocks are gone, but they'd be essential to have right in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

What would a fair price be for top soil? Site a few miles from me where the land was cleared for housing a few years ago has a good pile of the clay piled up at the back. Dunno how much is in it. Probably 2 or 3 hundred ton anyway. I'd be a buyer if the price was right. Wondering how much I should be offering

If it's heaped a few years, only the the top foot or less would still be topsoil, the rest would now have reverted towards subsoil.

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I have a 06 Avensis with 390k on it sitting in the shed atm if your in the mood;)

They won’t insure anything over 15 years if you just bought it.

I’ve a 96 Corolla. I’m waiting. For vintage on it.

Advertisement