Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

A very touching message to read Brian, condolences to you and your family.. it's not easy but the memories of your last conversations with your mother over the time you were caring for her will help you over the coming months & years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

You have my deepest sympathies Brian. It’s not easy. You did right by her by caring for her at Home.

My dad was given 6 weeks and lasted 8 months and it was the most stressful time of my life to date but looking back I’m glad we could care for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Condolences brian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Sincere Condolences to you and your family Brian.

Scary the number of people who have died from cancer here locally in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Sorry to hear that Brian. Take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My condolences Brian.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

Lost both my parents with in 12 months off 1 another about 15/16 yrs ago it was is life changing.i dont think I will ever get over it.
    Life is tough iam glad you got to spend time with your mum I didn't and my dad died from cancer.
    I hope you can find peace in your heart in the months and yrs ahead.
    May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Grueller

So sorry for you loss Brian. I really hope that in time you can cherish all of the good memories as well as the memories of your mother at her lowest time.
    My mother here is enduring a similar battle at the moment, however the difference is that we still have hope as Mam is responding well to treatment. After each round of chemo Mam has a really tough week and needs almost 24 hour care. Dad is fit enough so we can manage the nights as he is there and I am only 300 metres away if he needs help at short notice.
    My 3 sisters have been phenomenal with their time. They are really putting massive hours to ensure Mam is as comfortable as can be. 2 of them live over 80 miles away and have put their own lives on hold. They really are a credit to my mother and father.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Suckler

Sincere condolences to you and your family Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Grueller wrote: »
    So sorry for you loss Brian. I really hope that in time you can cherish all of the good memories as well as the memories of your mother at her lowest time.
    My mother here is enduring a similar battle at the moment, however the difference is that we still have hope as Mam is responding well to treatment. After each round of chemo Mam has a really tough week and needs almost 24 hour care. Dad is fit enough so we can manage the nights as he is there and I am only 300 metres away if he needs help at short notice.
    My 3 sisters have been phenomenal with their time. They are really putting massive hours to ensure Mam is as comfortable as can be. 2 of them live over 80 miles away and have put their own lives on hold. They really are a credit to my mother and father.

Best wishes to your mam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

naughto wrote: »
    Lost both my parents with in 12 months off 1 another about 15/16 yrs ago it was is life changing.i dont think I will ever get over it.
    Life is tough iam glad you got to spend time with your mum I didn't and my dad died from cancer.
    I hope you can find peace in your heart in the months and yrs ahead.
    May she rest in peace.

Likewise too, my parents died within 6mths of each other and only a few years after my brother dying after a long illness. You always think you're tough enough and can't be knocked out but it does....... but life goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

My sincere condolences Brian. The loss of your mum is the hardest thing you can endure as your cares for you like no one else. Lost mine suddenly 13 yrs ago. Took an age to get over it. Really wish you and the family the best in this tough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Terrible at any time but in covid times it must have been extremely difficult. Look after yourselves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

_Brian wrote: »
    8 weeks ago my Mum didn’t feel well, made appt and drove herself to doctors.

We buried her yesterday after 8 weeks of a battle against cancer that presented so late there was nothing could be done. She had battled cervical cancer 30 years ago and beat it that time.

We cared for her at home, two wee teams of three family members doing 12hour shifts. She lived through her illness as she did all her life, with dignity and humility, thinking of those around her rather than herself.

We wanted for nothing, the supports and equipment available to us was endless and came quickly when we asked. People said cancer services were stopped during covid, utter rubbish, 3 weeks after setting foot into her gp office she was having a treatment of palliative chemotherapy, she wasn’t fit for it and decided not to have any more.

Life will never be the same but the time we had for the last 8 weeks made up for the time missed over covid when we were minding her.

I'm very sorry to hear that Brian. Can't have been easy to write. I'm glad you saw the good in a bad situation.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭emaherx

Very sorry for you loss Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Sorry for you and your families loss Brian. May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Condolences to you and your family on your loss Brian. May she rest in peace. In time you will take comfort from the way you cared for you mother these past few weeks..... Take care ....

I'm sorry to ear of your loss Brian, I had noticed you gone quiet elsewhere. Look after yourselves, its hard losing a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was like a peeping Tom today watching the young SH bull I bought last October after a AAx cow and seeing if he would jump successfully - it's his first time. Years ago when I used to breed Blondes one of my best bred young bulls ruptured his penis on his first jump. Anyway I didn't see the SH bull (pet named Bosco) jump. He's been very amorous yesterday/today and she just wasn't on the same wavelength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭green daries

I too had noticed you'd been quiet on boards Brian
    Condolences on your loss it's a tough time for you and for extended family mind yourself and your great family that you seem to have behind you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Best wishes to Brian and his family at this difficult time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭White Clover

Condolences to you Brian and your family. Try to take comfort from the opportunity you had to say goodbye although it will not be easy.
    My own mother died young, suddenly, when I was 22. It really knocked the stuffing out of me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Condolences to you and the family, Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Terrible at any time but in covid times it must have been extremely difficult. Look after yourselves

Seeing her six grandchildren having to stand outside a church that would
    Hold a few hundred was hard indeed, but they had great support from the wider family.

For her last two weeks she banished the news from her TV, she was fed up with the squabbling over Covid and Brexit.
    All she wanted was “a home in the sun”, “the chase” amd “judge Judy”, the more shouting judge Judy did at the wrong party the better. 😂😂

Reserves are seriously depleted here, my Brother in law died tragically and was buried just at Christmas, mass booklet still in suit pocket when I took it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭endainoz

Very sorry for your loss Brian, by the sounds of it your family got great support from friends and neighbour which I've always found important in those types of situations. Hopefully the bit of support from people here will help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

_Brian wrote: »
    8 weeks ago my Mum didn’t feel well, made appt and drove herself to doctors.

We buried her yesterday after 8 weeks of a battle against cancer that presented so late there was nothing could be done. She had battled cervical cancer 30 years ago and beat it that time.

We cared for her at home, two wee teams of three family members doing 12hour shifts. She lived through her illness as she did all her life, with dignity and humility, thinking of those around her rather than herself.

We wanted for nothing, the supports and equipment available to us was endless and came quickly when we asked. People said cancer services were stopped during covid, utter rubbish, 3 weeks after setting foot into her gp office she was having a treatment of palliative chemotherapy, she wasn’t fit for it and decided not to have any more.

Life will never be the same but the time we had for the last 8 weeks made up for the time missed over covid when we were minding her.

That's heart-breaking, puts things in perspective, stay safe and thinking of you and your family tonight Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

My brother was showing me this video earlier. It's well worth a watch for a glimpse into the future.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Trying to understand how certain things work.

Does an electric fence need "an end"? My understanding of electricity is that it's like water, it only flows somewhere if it has somewhere to flow to. So if you had a wire going 20m and just ends, then it wouldn't have anywhere to flow to, so it doesn't go anywhere.

But then I guess if something touches the wire, then it would be able to flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Pussyhands wrote: »
    ?

So the last three pages are people offering sympathy to the poor man who lost his mother and then you come up with a stupid meaningless question about fencing in the middle of it, have a bit of cop on will you

Mod Note..... there are no meaningless questions on here, we offer heartfelt condolences AND we chat . The chat certainly doesn't dilute the genuine sentiment expressed. Thanks. GC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭emaherx

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Trying to understand how certain things work.

Does an electric fence need "an end"? My understanding of electricity is that it's like water, it only flows somewhere if it has somewhere to flow to. So if you had a wire going 20m and just ends, then it wouldn't have anywhere to flow to, so it doesn't go anywhere.

But then I guess if something touches the wire, then it would be able to flow.

You are correct, like all electric circuits an electric fence needs a return path to work. In an ideal situation no current will flow through the fence until an animal comes in contact with it, when this happens the animal and the ground they stand on provide the return path through the earth rod of the fence unit. This is why adequate earthing and clearing fences of vegetation is important for max performance of the fence. In very dry climates fences don't work as well due to lack of moisture in the soil, so a second strand of wire can be used to provide the return path, these wires will be placed close together but not touching, the animal will receive a shock if they touch both wires to complete the circuit.

Advertisement