Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

emaherx wrote: »
    The farmer (or possibly the farmers spouse) still needs good broadband for Netflix though.

I've been busy making sensors like this for everything both around the house/garden and the farm, I'm pretty sure my wife thinks I'm insane, although she seems quite happy with the smart heating system that I've made.

I've been experimenting with some LoraWan, mostly The Things Network and I've made my own test gateway using a cheap ESP32 module.

But mostly I've just been using LoRa radios on ESP32 and Arduino devices to communicate directly with each other without the need for a LoRaWAN provider, meaning no dependence on any providers or any kind of internet or GSM connections. I've run a good few experiments and have managed simplex communications of 2-3KM and duplex up to about 1KM, but can use repeaters to expand range also.

Feck's sake! If he wasn't a mod I have to beat him around the head to get him to speak English.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

T short weather this evening, but early in the morning would leave you in no doubt it's April yet.

Cold here most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭emaherx

greysides wrote: »
    Feck's sake! If he wasn't a mod I have to beat him around the head to get him to speak English.

I'm Sorry, but I didn't start it this time :D
    You can just beat roosterman71 instead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭roosterman71

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Sounds fair!

Here chuck-chuck, chuck-chuck!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭tanko

Was out on a jog this evening around the parents place (was summoned to stay the night cos they got their vaccine this evening and they wanted me near in case of any bad reaction) and on my way back seen on of the new tenants of one of the local council houses stroll into the shed at my grannies. I hung around for a minute and he popped out again and I quizzed him on his intentions. Seems he intended to get the ride from some young one :D

I told him to sling his ladhook and piss off. And he did. A few minutes later I spotted the bold divil heading back in again (to the shed)! Gave him 20 minutes and then headed up to run him again. The 2 were on the way out when I got there and I told him again to scarper and not come back.

Time will tell whether they heed my advice or not

You should have gone back after ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Finally finished listening to Kings in Grass Castles this evening on borrowbox as recommended on this thread, it took the best of three months to listen to it all the way through. A great story and i would 100% recommend it to anyone to listen/read too. The film/miniseries didnt do the book justice at all.

Better living everyone

whelan2 wrote: »
    Cold here most of the day.

I was moving my old, very very broken quad from the tunnel on one parcel to a shed on another so I can fix it up. Some heat when I was finishing up. I read before that the body isn't accustomed to heat early in the year, nor the colder weather later in the year, that temps today that would seem warm, will feel cooler later in the year once we're used to it. How true that is :confused:

Still doesn't explain lads in shorts and t shirts in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Grueller

I was moving my old, very very broken quad from the tunnel on one parcel to a shed on another so I can fix it up. Some heat when I was finishing up. I read before that the body isn't accustomed to heat early in the year, nor the colder weather later in the year, that temps today that would seem warm, will feel cooler later in the year once we're used to it. How true that is :confused:

Or young lads going around in trousers 3 inches too short and no socks. Their f**king ankles must be perishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grueller wrote: »
    Or young lads going around in trousers 3 inches too short and no socks. Their f**king ankles must be perishing.

Shoe boots is where it's at now.

All the look of a Wellington boot but without the boot but a shoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭mayota

Shoe boots is where it's at now.

All the look of a Wellington boot but without the boot but a shoe.

Shur we had them 30 years ago!

mayota wrote: »
    Shur we had them 30 years ago!

Ah these are lined.
    With insoles and non muck collecting soles.

No Stanley knives needed.!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Cold ankles on my nephew. Its the style he said.
    Madness!

jimini0 wrote: »
    Madness!

You spend your childhood and teens trying your best to fit in.

And the rest of your life trying your best to fit out. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭DBK1

It’s one style I’ll never understand. Years ago we’d be embarrassed going around with trousers like that cos people would know we couldn’t afford new ones.

As I heard a man say one day, they’ll look back in years to come at pictures of themselves dressed like that and hang their heads in shame and wonder why someone didn’t tell them how stupid it looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭DBK1

Madness!
    At least he’s wearing socks, there’s some hope for him.

The ones without the socks need a few hard days work in the bog with nothing only a bit of hairy bacon for lunch to sort them out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Madness!

Ha - tis like some lad from Oliver :)

There's an ould lad around here like that, trousers too short, wears socks mind. My late uncle, a character, met this lad at a funeral of all places one time "God bless you Brendan you're still growing!". A corner of the graveyard erupted.

Madness!

Ha - tis like some lad from Oliver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ten years ago we had that cold spell that lasted6 weeks or so.
    You got used to the -15°C..
    I remember having to throw off the coat and the jumper one morning , because the temperature was up to -2°C !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

OH was up early rushing around trying to hide the eggs for the Easter bunny...... only to be told it was Saturday. Even more rushing to try and gather them before the children woke up.

When did the Easter bunny become a thing? We used have to save up for an Easter egg

We do it here. Kids dont eat the chocolate but it's the crack of finding the eggs. Left it a bit late to but the mini eggs this year so it'll be chocolate coins

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

8 weeks ago my Mum didn’t feel well, made appt and drove herself to doctors.

We buried her yesterday after 8 weeks of a battle against cancer that presented so late there was nothing could be done. She had battled cervical cancer 30 years ago and beat it that time.

We cared for her at home, two wee teams of three family members doing 12hour shifts. She lived through her illness as she did all her life, with dignity and humility, thinking of those around her rather than herself.

We wanted for nothing, the supports and equipment available to us was endless and came quickly when we asked. People said cancer services were stopped during covid, utter rubbish, 3 weeks after setting foot into her gp office she was having a treatment of palliative chemotherapy, she wasn’t fit for it and decided not to have any more.

Life will never be the same but the time we had for the last 8 weeks made up for the time missed over covid when we were minding her.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

Had missed you from the forum Brian.
    Sincere condolences on your loss.
    Losing a parent is a very raw emotional time.

My Dad is gone 4 years now, but I still think of him and talk to him every day. A lifetime of memories will comfort you in the years to come.

May your Mum rest in peace.
    _Brian wrote: »

We buried her yesterday after 8 weeks of a battle against cancer that presented so late there was nothing could be done. She had battled cervical cancer 30 years ago and beat it that time.

We cared for her at home, two wee teams of three family members doing 12hour shifts. She lived through her illness as she did all her life, with dignity and humility, thinking of those around her rather than herself.

We wanted for nothing, the supports and equipment available to us was endless and came quickly when we asked. People said cancer services were stopped during covid, utter rubbish, 3 weeks after setting foot into her gp office she was having a treatment of palliative chemotherapy, she wasn’t fit for it and decided not to have any more.

Life will never be the same but the time we had for the last 8 weeks made up for the time missed over covid when we were minding her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Condolences to you and your family on your loss Brian. May she rest in peace and look down on you all with great pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Condolences to you and the rest of your family. Ye can all take great comfort and pride from being able to care for her at home.
    Out early this morning for a walk with my wife and it was so uplifting to see and feel new life all round. But unfortunately while there is life there is death. Mind yourself.

Am so sorry to hear Brian, condolences on your loss...

It’s a tough time, but it’s good that ye had some time with her before the end...

Mind yourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Tileman

So sorry for your loss Brian. It is a very hard time. Great to know that you had some quality time at the end.
    It’s very hard at the moment with funerals that people if that generation don’t get the send off they deserve. Look after your self

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Very sorry for you loss Brian. Condolences to you and your family.

• Advertisement

Sorry for your loss.

Advertisement