Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Sorry for your loss Brian, condolences to you and the family. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭green daries

emaherx wrote: »
    You are correct, like all electric circuits an electric fence needs a return path to work. In an ideal situation no current will flow through the fence until an animal comes in contact with it, when this happens the animal and the ground they stand on provide the return path through the earth rod of the fence unit. This is why adequate earthing and clearing fences of vegetation is important for max performance of the fence. In very dry climates fences don't work as well due to lack of moisture in the soil, so a second strand of wire can be used to provide the return path, these wires will be placed close together but not touching, the animal will receive a shock if they touch both wires to complete the circuit.

Well every day is a school day ðŸ™႒

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Well every day is a school day ðŸ™႒

Thanks! I feel dumb asking these questions. I don't operate these things myself but one day I will need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

First bit of work done with the 135 this weekend. Delighted with it

51097916175_192b4f83a5.jpg20210402_130817 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

She looks very well Kev...

Will you put a roll bar on? Or do you very flat land?

• Advertisement

She looks very well Kev...

Will you put a roll bar on? Or do you very flat land?

Have a cab that I'm finishing at the moment but lamd is fairly flat alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭emaherx

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Thanks! I feel dumb asking these questions. I don't operate these things myself but one day I will need to.

No need to feel dumb for asking questions, none of us know everything, but asking here will usually get someone to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Pussyhands wrote: »

No such thing as a stupid question, if you dont ask you wont know.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Beautiful, well wear. I love my 135 but I’m not kind to it. It works hard here. As I said to the lad I bought it off, “it’s not coming to me to retire”.

Beautiful, well wear. I love my 135 but I’m not kind to it. It works hard here. As I said to the lad I bought it off, “it’s not coming to me to retire”.

This one will do the majority of our tractor work I think. We have a Ford 3600 too but its getting shook.

• Advertisement

This one will do the majority of our tractor work I think. We have a Ford 3600 too but its getting shook.

The lad I bought my 135 off of had a remote control 240. He was on war to the ground with it one time. When he retired, he took up remote control planes and adapted to drive the 240. I never saw it drive but was some thinking.

He has a shed of rareities.

The lad I bought my 135 off of had a remote control 240. He was on war to the ground with it one time. When he retired, he took up remote control planes and adapted to drive the 240. I never saw it drive but was some thinking.

He has a shed of rareities.

I remember seeing that 240, it was some job, would have been a much easier task with an old industrial model with the auto reverse gearbox.

Edit: may have been this 250

An old girl like that can work hard and still get her makeup done. The 135 here still does an awefull lot of work. Mowing, topping, ploughing, haybobing, hedge trimming and occasionally a bit of cement mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Grueller

Ladies and Gentlemen, a quick question for a bit of advice. I had a suckler here that was unwell on Saturday. I called the vet and one of them.from the practice came out and diagnosed pneumonia.

The cow was no better yesterday so I called the vet again. A different vet from the same practice came out and said no not pneumonia but an infection of the brain (name escapes me I have it written down but not with me atm).

This morning the cow can't stand up and is lying with her head curled back against her ribcage and can't/won't move it from there. She will die.

How would you all handle this with the vet? Poor service has let this cow go too far to be saved.

I remember seeing that 240, it was some job, would have been a much easier task with an old industrial model with the auto reverse gearbox.

Edit: may have been this 250

That’s the one, I thought twas a 240. He used to own the mf parts dealership. We used to get the digger parts off of him.

An old girl like that can work hard and still get her makeup done. The 135 here still does an awefull lot of work. Mowing, topping, ploughing, haybobing, hedge trimming and occasionally a bit of cement mixing.

What kind of hedge cutter have you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Grueller wrote: »
    Ladies and Gentlemen, a quick question for a bit of advice. I had a suckler here that was unwell on Saturday. I called the vet and one of them.from the practice came out and diagnosed pneumonia.

The cow was no better yesterday so I called the vet again. A different vet from the same practice came out and said no not pneumonia but an infection of the brain (name escapes me I have it written down but not with me atm).

This morning the cow can't stand up and is lying with her head curled back against her ribcage and can't/won't move it from there. She will die.

How would you all handle this with the vet? Poor service has let this cow go too far to be saved.

That's rough and sadly the animal is the biggest loser in that situation. Was it a reasonably experienced vet that made the initial pneumonia diagnosis? No one is infallible and we all make mistakes but that doesn't alleviate the situation in this case.

I'd be getting onto whoever is in charge and explaining my case if in your shoes. No one is interested in a witch hunt but you're mostly likely down an animal as a result of what's happened. It's hard to know what sort of a resolution is to be expected but I'd see what there reaction was and go from there.

Was the other vet confident that the cow could have been saved with earlier treatment if correctly diagnosed in the beginning? From my experience with meningitis and similar it's hit and miss as to survival even with early detection but I'm not a vet and this may be something totally different in your case.

What kind of hedge cutter have you?

A small one :D.
    It's handy for keeping control of the laurel in the garden and keeping the fences clear of briars.
    I got it from Clontrac.

51098902518_e670479371_c.jpgIMG_20210317_160528~2 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

It's very hard to say she would have lived either way Grueller. Saying that there is good and bad in every profession, There is a young fella after starting in our practice this year that would keep a knackery busy by himself. I just started using a different vet for calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A small one :D.
    It's handy for keeping control of the laurel in the garden and keeping the fences clear of briars.
    I got it from Clontrac.

51098902518_e670479371_c.jpgIMG_20210317_160528~2 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Ahem! Commission? :p

What do you make of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It's difficult to know if the cow showed enough symptoms when the first Vet saw her on Saturday to make a clear diagnosis and as the days went on it was easier to see what the problem was. The only thing I know is that it's highly unlikely that one Vet will criticise another especially if they are in the same practice. I would be phoning the owner/partner, explain the situation and see what the reaction is. They first Vet maybe inexperience and the owner/partner may do something on the call out/meds bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭148multi

Base price wrote: »
    It's difficult to know if the cow showed enough symptoms when the first Vet saw her on Saturday to make a clear diagnosis and as the days went on it was easier to see what the problem was. The only thing I know is that it's highly unlikely that one Vet will criticise another especially if they are in the same practice. I would be phoning the owner/partner, explain the situation and see what the reaction is. They first Vet maybe inexperience and the owner/partner may do something on the call out/meds bill.

It can be very hard to cure anything on the brain, the meds given originally may have been some help, chat with the owner /partner.
    We had a vet years ago that charged one rate for successful outcomes and a lower rate for the unsuccessful ones. It's tough losing an animal, people think just because animals are slaughtered that we don't become attached to them.

Cattle test today. Last cow calved too. It’s mad, every test day here a cow has calved.

Great complaint- the new ropes didn’t need to be touched at all this year.

Ahem! Commission? :p

What do you make of it?

You'd need to get on to Clontrac for your commission. :p

It dose what I need it to do, so far I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cattle test today. Last cow calved too. It’s mad, every test day here a cow has calved.

Great complaint- the new ropes didn’t need to be touched at all this year.

We got new ropes and I threw them out. They kept slipping and impossible to keep tight on the leg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    We got new ropes and I threw them out. They kept slipping and impossible to keep tight on the leg

Hear there was a nasty crash up your way today missus

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hear there was a nasty crash up your way today missus

Ye, didnt hear much about it. Just beside were the mart is. It's a tricky junction that. Got a few frights there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Grueller

Base price wrote: »

It was the practice owner that made the mistake. In practice just 30 years.

I'd wait until the bill comes. See what they charge for. if it was me I'd have calmed down by then . You don't want to be falling out with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭DBK1

What would any of your views be on stock that were brought to the mart early yesterday morning and are still in the mart yard now over 40 hours later and roaring with the hunger? They have water but no food since then. I was talking to the mart manager and he says there’s nothing he can do about it.

This happens on a fairly regular basis in this mart and I’ve been defending the mart to the non farming neighbours but it’s getting to the stage where I think I nearly have to agree with them. It’s definitely not right on the cattle.

Advertisement