Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The last Album You Listened to.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭mehico

Nice collection, I remember seeing some of those Marrillion box sets for sale and thought they were good value with the blu ray discs included but I have never really given Marillion a chance, what album would you recommned to get into them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Clutching At Straws (1987) is very good to start with, last one of the Fish era.

Of the Hogarth ones, Season's End (1989) is a nice ease-in, well-structured songs and a great atmosphere.

The blu rays are very good - each one has a very detailed documentary and they maximise the space used with decent 5.1. mixes and good bonus tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rpirl

Only Marillion album I've owned was 'Marbles' from the mid 2000s, couple of good singles on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rpirl

Currently listening to this, good album if you like folk rock / prog rock, he sings in Breton language

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

WFH yesterday so spun some records that hadn't been out in a while;

Joel Culpepper - Sgt Culpepper - psychedelic soul stomper, like a cross between Prince and Marvin.

Angel Olsen - Burn your fire for no witness. Think its still the best one she's made, just lovely americana type stuff with her excellent voice.

Beck - Morning Phase. Sad beck is sometimes just the tonic. and it's the 10th anniversary this week.

Tribe called quest - Midnight Marauders. top drawer old school hip hop.

Talking Heads - Fear of music. maybe the best lp by my favourite band right now.

CMAT - if my wife knew.... - this girl can do no wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Listening to the new albums by MGMT and Real Estate both released today.

MGMT is a bit of a mixed bag like their last album, but "Nothing to Declare" is really lovely and one of my favourites of the year so far

Real Estate is largely more of the same which I have no problem with.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The Mix Up. An instrumental album by the Beastie Boys.

I'm putting on a Beasties tribute night this eve so just brushing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Talking Heads - Naked

• Advertisement

Prefab Sprout - From Langley Park To Memphis (Japanese SHM CD)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭dasdog

Hannya Red on Samurai Music. Nightmarishly dark relatively contemporary drum & bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Last Dinner Party - PRELUDE TO ECSTASY

I have no idea if they are "industry plants" or whatever. I will say that the album is very accomplished for a debut by a band that doesn't even have a drummer.

I'd like to say that I haven't been blown away, but, yep, there's no denying some of the songs.

Been listing to this album based on the reccomendation of @NewbridgeIR earlier in this thread. I never really listened to much Marillion before but this album sounds strangely familiar to me although am not sure why!

The singles (Incommunicado, Sugar Mice and to a lesser extent Warm Wet Circles) got a lot of radio play at the time?

The only song I was familiar with before listening to the full album was Incommunicado. I looked up the box set but it must have increased quite a bit in price but will keep an eye out for it. Have listend to Missplaced Childhood aswell and actually have Seasons End playing as I type this!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

This classic is on the turntable at the moment.

Good album

The single mix of Sultans Of Swing seems to have been totally forgotten. Way better than the album version but never gets compiled anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm heading to Australia on my honeymoon and unfortunately for the wife we're going to see carcass in brisbane:) we're also going to infectious grooves :)

This weeks full album is carcass -necrotism decanting the insalubrious

Absolute landmark metal album, one of the greatest. Totally original.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....i ll take your wifes place if it falls threw, seen exodus and arch enemy in brisbane years ago, great gig

congrats and best of luck with things

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Divine Conspiracy by Epica.

Pretentious and bombastic, but a brilliant album.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sacred Reich - Surf Nicaragua.

Another band to play the delightful McGonagles back in the day.

Met the band who were as nice as pie outside before the gig.

Mine's a little more battle weary blade - I couldn't tell you if we met them before or after the gig but with McGonagles it was usually after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yeah they were outside the front door a couple of hours before the gig.

Got ticket signed as well by Greg, Wiley and Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

New Blue Sun by André 3000.

Still want to hear more of him rapping but this is nice and relaxing. Perfect to have in the background if you're doing something else. Not what I would have expected whatsoever from an album of his, though I'm also not surprised he would go in such a direction.

Think music you would hear in the background of a New Age shop.

Had a nasty virus all week so only recovering and beginning to enjoy music again today. Thankfully the day was lifted by Telefís, Emma Ruth Rundle, Brahms, Carlos Montoya and now Torn & Roho.

I'm having a house party tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Elton John's Greatest Hits last night -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4odfOeF8yJc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Modjo by Modjo.

One hit wonders but actually quite a decent album, like a more disco version of Homework by Daft Punk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Keith Andrews

The Corrs Unplugged Album :)

Advertisement