Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The last Album You Listened to.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭dasdog

I wouldn't normally got for compilations but this is a summary of the the UK scene 1988 - 1991 that was the chart alternative to Stock, Aitken, Waterman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Great series. Ran for 23 volumes from 1987-1996.

That release is a best of the first 10 volumes (albeit there’s nothing from 1, 4 & 5) + one previously uncompiled track Bloodsport For All.

I love V/A compilations - have reviewed the entire Indie Top 20 series plus many more (including plenty chart & dance ones) - www.apopfansdream.wordpress.com

Post edited by NewbridgeIR on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Future Islands - People Who Aren't There Anymore.

It's a bit more of the same from them, which I'm ok with, but they aren't exactly pushing the boat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Graceland - Paul Simon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublingreen

Aslan - feel no shame

• Advertisement

I've been getting mostly trance and goa trance piecing together an electro set from Glastonbury 1995 but included that in an order because the bands were cool. Interlect 3000 and Schubert. About €3 a symphony.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

It Was Triumph We Once Proposed…Songs of Jason Molina - Glen Hansard

Not listened to this before now, I'm a Jason Molina fan, meet and talked with him after a whelans gig which at the time was a massive moment for me. Not sure why it took me so long to get to this, loved this version of white sulfur, from the songs:ohia album of the same name, I don't really listen to that album too often, it's more like a song sketch book to me, some lovely ideas in it, but Hansard captured this track perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Black Pearl - 50 Foot Wave

(Side project for Kristin Hersh)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rpirl

Another one from the sales, sticker on the front sezz :

"Cosmic American Music from the far flung reaches of rural Oregon. Issued in 1979 on Allan Wachs' own True Vine imprint, Mountain Roads and City Streets gathers a decade of songs written while hitchhiking up and down the west coast. Screeching pedal steel, lilting flute, and tingly dulcimer are peppered throughout Wachs' tales of brief affairs, invisible dogs, and getting lost in a changing America."

NL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Genesis' self titled album from 1983.

Listening on Spotify, I don't own anything by Genesis.

That led me onto this.

A great album

The lamb lies down on Broadway

Post edited by blade1 on

Side 1 of that Genesis self-titled LP is great. My favourite album of theirs is Duke followed by Selling England By The Pound. The 1977 live album Seconds Out is also excellent - Phil Collins sounds very like Peter Gabriel on the epic Supper’s Ready.

I wouldn't know much about them but I'm especially liking the Gabriel era the more of it I'm hearing.

I'm mellowing a lot the older I get ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Side 1 is great, side 2 is terrible. I listened to a lot of Genesis in my teens, they've a lot of good stuff (both the Peter and Phil eras) but also a lot of crap, and their albums can be very hit and miss. The Lamb is pretty solid all the way through though, even if the "concept" is fairly impenetrable, and also their folky second album "Trespass". From the Phil era I like the "Abacab" album; Phil's first solo album is also really good.

The ones I like least are And Then There Were Three and that appalling juvenile debut From Genesis To Revelation. Even Calling All Stations has its moments.

Genesis (1983) is the first one I heard; don't mind side 2 that much but a bit of a step down. Lamb very solid as is Foxtrot. Trick Of The Tail very consistent and agree re Abacab (underrated). Invisible Touch despite all the pop touches works well- really like Domino and The Brazilian.

Yes, Face Value excellent debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The ones I like least are And Then There Were Three and that appalling juvenile debut From Genesis To Revelation. Even Calling All Stations has its moments.

I've only listened to it once but I didn't think the debut was that bad, it's sort of like early Bee Gees without the memorable tunes. Calling All Stations is terrible IMO, they really should have called it a day when Collins left.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Dinosaur Jr. - Green Mind

Thanks lads, I think I'll pick up some of those on vinyl over the next few weeks based on the info you provided.

I've since listened to England by the pound and found that excellent.

For now I'm off sick with a respiratory virus so home blasting tunes for a few days

Starting the day off with this early Maiden live one with Paul Di'anno at the helm

There's three Calling All Stations B-Sides on the 1983-1998 SACD/DVD set that are really good, should have been on the album.

Those box sets were great - really well done - and the bonus material is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

System Of A Down's first of two albums released in '05. Great breezy album.

• Advertisement

Marillion - Script for a Jester's tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Excellent debut

Those special edition Marillion sets released in recent years are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I have to say one of the greatest ever bands, they're just brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

Judas Priest - Turbo albm..will be seeing thme next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This album by one of my favourite bands Idles released today to rave reviews.

I really think they're one of the best bands of the last 5 years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

A Dream Of Wilderness by Aephanemer.

Like a mix between Children of Bodom and Epica, brilliant album.

This arrived yesterday from eBay and is in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Listening to this right now.

Brilliant album that brings back some great memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

All is Dream - Mercury Rev.

Advertisement